Liverpool v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 10 April @ 3pm - Sky | Page 27 | Vital Football

Liverpool v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 10 April @ 3pm - Sky

Never really looked a threat against a poor team today, did we?

If we got away with a draw it would only paper over the cracks of yet another poor and clueless performance from a team clearly not enjoying their football and the tactics they are under from a manager who doesn't seem to have the managerial ability to get himself and the team out of a hole he has created.

And since January if anything has gone our way it's only because of some other teams' fuck up which again papers over how poor Dean Smith & Co are managing this team. 9/10 what Dean tries tactically to do with subs etc hardly ever works out because he is too slow in changing what clearly needs fixing on the pitch and everyone else can see but not stubborn Mr. Smith.

A one-dimensional manager playing one-dimensional football doesn't take long for others to suss him out.

If he was released at the end of the season he couldn't say he wasn't given a good chance by our patient owners and me for one can't stand the thought of more of these clueless tactics and poor performances next season otherwise we will struggle big time.

I wonder if just like John Gregory Aston Villa Football Club will be the biggest club and chance he will ever get in football?

Last edited:
Dont see the justification for him still being here to be honest.
Apart from his first few games, he has been injured, again, and shown a complete lack of desire, bottle or decent attitude every time he is selected.
Just send him back.

Strangely enough I had a dream last week that we terminated his contract by mutual consent. It's looking more and more likely at the moment isn't it?

Probably a bloody clause we can’t!

I suspect there also clauses about money and that sort of thing, if he doesn’t play we pay £x and if he does we pay £y. The Chelsea loaning system is an industry in its own right given they have 100 players out on loan every season.
Yes dan, the loan system and the amount of players a club can have on the books, basically just buying up anything to stop others getting youngsters is abused by a handful of clubs.

Won’t have a better chance to do the double over Liverpool. Thought we did ok second half after fearing the worst when they equalised but the sloppiness which led to their second was symptomatic of much of the game. Disappointed to see Ramsey just ambling towards Trent AA as he was about to strike the ball. Deano doesn’t do himself any favours with his stubbornness re selection, formation and selection/timings of subs but the players also have to take responsibility as well when they’re on the pitch. Frustrating afternoon all round.

Won’t have a better chance to do the double over Liverpool. Thought we did ok second half after fearing the worst when they equalised but the sloppiness which led to their second was symptomatic of much of the game. Disappointed to see Ramsey just ambling towards Trent AA as he was about to strike the ball. Deano doesn’t do himself any favours with his stubbornness re selection, formation and selection/timings of subs but the players also have to take responsibility as well when they’re on the pitch. Frustrating afternoon all round.

Well summed up.

Probably a bloody clause we can’t!

I suspect there also clauses about money and that sort of thing, if he doesn’t play we pay £x and if he does we pay £y. The Chelsea loaning system is an industry in its own right given they have 100 players out on loan every season.
Chelsea should be paying us for taking him off their hands for the rest of the season, hope that's all it is.

That's just it with Smiff, he never learns.
I’m not usually having a pop at Smith but that was poor game management. Traore on too long, Watkins isolated, massive holes in midfield for Liverpool to exploit. Davis comes on last week and shows aggression and energy to change the game. Today he sits on the bench while the Liverpool centre backs have a comfortable game. And then the game changing plan is to bring El.Gahzi and Barkley on.
Totally baffled!
I have supported Dean 100 per cent. However, someone tell our boss that there is no law in football that says that you must play with two wide men,especially as they are clearly not premiership standard.Also no law that your main striker plays on his own many metres away from his teammates. Hopefully, Dean is aware of these problems and we will see an immediate change.

The manager deserves the praise he got for many a good game, sadly today, he does deserve some of the flack, along with a few players who just are not really that interested. The way Traore flaked out (more than happy to find out - and this sounds bizarre, I don't mean it in a nasty way - that he has a broken rib, hence the reaction. If not, then that is just weak) Barkley doesn't mean to be like that i am sure, but he is, devoid of confidence at the very least. Davis, and I'm not calling him a world beater (!) helped change the game v Fulham, he would have come on and bullied the fairly fragile Liverpool defence and maybe, if not a win, we could have held on for the draw.

Too many ninnies today unfortunately.

I think Traore went in the heart.

think we've been incredibly lucky to pick up the points we have since the covids - our performances have mostly been very poor.
tbh there isn't a team in the division I'd fancy us beating at the mo - gonna be a long old end to this season unless something bucks them up.

Dean, sorry mate but you’re fucking clueless. Fuck the fuck off.

Would love it personally to see him go. However, considering the defensive improvement this season there is no way he gets sacked. I personally believe he needs to be given one more season to bring in quality players to see if we show even a hint of improvement in games without Jack. I hope the others have realised that no matter how easy or relatively easy a game looks for us to get something out of, we as Villa fans should never be confident of a win. We helped a team who had not won since December of last year at home, who had played in midweek and who had not scored a goal in 765 mins at home from open play !!

Davis changed a game last week, brought a new formation and a new option instead of just one isolated forward...... Liverpool had a make shift brittle centre back combo and we did nothing to take advantage of this. Stumbled across a winning formula last week but ignored it. We sorted out the defence from last season, need to sort out the midfield soon - if the FFP is scrapped and we have millions to spend, not one of that midfield is safe.