Scally 14 page letter | Page 3 | Vital Football

Scally 14 page letter

I remember the reason clubs across the country got rid of cash turnstiles was due to the reason you needed to train kids to deal with cash. A few contactless/QR code gates would be good though. I also like the system when we opened the BMS up for unreserved seating..

That was the reason scally gave.

My point being we have plenty of space. He needs one turnstile for one unreserved block of the RE and either the GRS or Medway. Contactless would work but he needs to find trusted employee to handle cash.

We have empty seats to sell. Just try it for few games, if it's doesn't work give up, but at least try something to make it easier for the real casual fan to attend.

With online tickets and QR code entry you can also try a carnet system - buy 5-10 tickets - no specific matches, unreserved blocks/stands. Rock up to the games you want, scan the QR code and you’re in. A Gils or ticket app will tell you how many you have remaining, with the option to top-up.

Fck me! ....even I think that's a stupidly long letter. Now I know how you lot feel reading my posts. He's definitely out AK'd me! Never before (well since his last letter, anyway) has so little been said with so many words.

My summary: This year has been his new hardest ever (since the last one where he probably said the same), he's worked really hard and we should all be thankful for him. New ticketing system and membership clubs (excuse me if i don't get too excited until I see it), still hates criticism on social media, still no news for ST holders.

I may have missed some bits due to dozing off.

Fck me! ....even I think that's a stupidly long letter. Now I know how you lot feel reading my posts. He's definitely out AK'd me! Never before (well since his last letter, anyway) has so little been said with so many words.

My summary: This year has been his new hardest ever (since the last one where he probably said the same), he's worked really hard and we should all be thankful for him. New ticketing system and membership clubs (excuse me if i don't get too excited until I see it), still hates criticism on social media, still no news for ST holders.

You should write Scally a response, AK. See hiow he likes reading pages and pages!

Last edited:
Sorry, but it's mostly woffle.

There's a bit about football finance and "balance"- but again clouded by woffle.

Eventually, players's salaries are explained on Page 9.
How much of the £2,600,000 salaries has been deferred ?
And a bill to HMRC for £700,000 doesn't help.

1,650 STs brought in £440,000 - plus £115,000 for 2 year STs (...which only helps cashflow.)
Page 10 mentions TV and EFL paying £1,500,000 - and a grant from the PL of £410,000.

Other "income" is actually loans - so along with the salary deferrals, (less ST income?) the next couple of seasons wil be tricky.

The letter goes downhill when he lists 3 types of "interested parties". (page 5)

Apparently "type 2" cannot possible be "truly supporters" if they (presumably) criticise.
Then we are supposed to believe that there are "type 3" people who "care little about the club" , but for some imagined reason can be bothered to devote time to "act in a way that is damaging to the club".

The most succinct bit explains improvements to changing roooms, kitchens, irrigation etc.

What is the point of the new Supporters Clubs ?
Will the fee be another income stream ?
Will the supposed "benefits" disappear like the Rewards Card a few years back (and shareholdings) ?
Will higher tiers be earned by spending ... (or expressing approved opinions:oops:) ?

Is this a way to meet EFL Rule 111 (requiring Clubs to hold at least two meetings with fans per season) - while retaining control of agendas ?

Refunds for STs....?
Do others find the "solutions" oblique and "down the road" ?

Others have commented on the rant about "social media".
Surely "Vital" is a model of restraint ??? :oops:
One wonders what "data mining" will allow Scally to "red card" those he disapproves of.

Is this (long) summary fair ?

Last edited:
Sorry, but it's mostly woffle.

There's a bit about football finance and "balance"- but again clouded by woffle.

Eventually, players's salaries are explained on Page 9.
How much of the £2,600,000 salaries has been deferred ?
And a bill to HMRC for £700,000 doesn't help.

1,650 STs brought in £440,000 - plus £115,000 for 2 year STs (...which only helps cashflow.)
Page 10 mentions TV and EFL paying £1,500,000 - and a grant from the PL of £410,000.

Other "income" is actually loans - so along with the salary deferrals, (less ST income?) the next couple of seasons wil be tricky.

The letter goes downhill when he lists 3 types of "interested parties". (page 5)

Apparently "type 2" cannot possible be "truly supporters" if they (presumably) criticise.
Then we are supposed to believe that there are "type 3" people who "care little about the club" , but for some imagined reason can be bothered to devote time to "act in a way that is damaging to the club".

The most succinct bit explains improvements to changing roooms, kitchens, irrigation etc.

What is the point of the new Supporters Clubs ?
Will the fee be another income stream ?
Will the supposed "benefits" disappear like the Rewards Card a few years back (and shareholdings) ?
Will higher tiers be earned by spending ... (or expressing approved opinions:oops:) ?

Is this a way to meet EFL Rule 111 (requiring Clubs to hold at least two meetings with fans per season) - while retaining control of agendas ?

Refunds for STs....
Do others find the "solutions" oblique and "down the road" ?

Others have commented on the rant about "social media".
Surely "Vital" is a model of restraint ??? :oops:
One wonders what "data mining" will allow Scally to "red card" those he disapproves of.

Is this (long) summary fair ?

You could write him a response too, Tarian. Now that really would blow his little Penfold mind!

I'm still baffled by sharing the names of the regimes dissidents with the sponsors. I'm not expecting to need to hire a mobile generator from MEMS so not to worried about getting blacklisted by them but who else sponsors us?

I'm still baffled by sharing the names of the regimes dissidents with the sponsors. I'm not expecting to need to hire a mobile generator from MEMS so not to worried about getting blacklisted by them but who else sponsors us?

That was a very baffling and bizzare bit of his ranty letter to say the least. As if sponsors will gaff about gills supporters slagging off Scally or GFC. Think most businesses are grateful for any business atm, without PS telling them who they should be taking money from as customers.

Yeah I remember. It wasa nice evening and he was a good host. Seems he really is jekyll and Hyde.

As you say keep it simple. We really can't afford to make it harder.

Still say cash turnstile with unreserved seating In one block is what we need. Just make it easy for last minute punters. "Nice weather lets go the gills" moments.

I suggested that at the meeting. He said he'd look into it. Maybe its coming with the taps in the factory and *the new on line, print at home tickets with bar code scanning turnstiles

Haven`t read the letter yet but, from other statements made by PS in recent years, i`d say that * is exactly where ticketing at Priestfield is headed. Good idea IMO, should work well and accommodates most on the day "last minute" decisions by punters going to GFC.

By heck I thought "War and Peace" was an epic piece of literature but this 14 pager has exceeded it. I know little of Mr Scally although I understand he has had a controversial 25 years as GFC Chairman/owner and falling out with people is an almost regular occurrence. I say well done to him in keeping the club going throughout the lock down but continuous digs at anyone who disagrees with him on social media is wearing thin. He certainly does not deserve abuse but unfortunately he is not head of the internet police. People all have different opinions and he appears to not accept that, but no need to abuse him, players, staff etc. From my limited time on this board I know he divides opinion but most posters on here from what I have read, are not really abusive to him or about him. Perhaps he was mainly referring to this mystical hatred filled Facebook group rather than this board?

But yours are just to cover for really being a stroodie lol

By heck I thought "War and Peace" was an epic piece of literature but this 14 pager has exceeded it. I know little of Mr Scally although I understand he has had a controversial 25 years as GFC Chairman/owner and falling out with people is an almost regular occurrence. I say well done to him in keeping the club going throughout the lock down but continuous digs at anyone who disagrees with him on social media is wearing thin. He certainly does not deserve abuse but unfortunately he is not head of the internet police. People all have different opinions and he appears to not accept that, but no need to abuse him, players, staff etc. From my limited time on this board I know he divides opinion but most posters on here from what I have read, are not really abusive to him or about him. Perhaps he was mainly referring to this mystical hatred filled Facebook group rather than this board?

I don’t think that he has any issues with people who legitimately disagree with him Kate.
It’s the unnecessary personal abuse towards him and his family that he calls out
It’s really no different to any other public figure or politician.
You have absolute right to disagree but no right to be personally abusive.
Many MPs, particularly female ones, suffer this on a daily basis under the anonymity of the internet.
Fortunately, nobody of this forum has sunk to the level seen on others forums.
All in all, we’re a pretty decent bunch.

Exactly. Scally has to make it as simple as possible for the casual fan to buy tickets, not introduce numerous confusing tiers. Hopefully im wrong and it works out but it seems unnecessarily complicated.

The tiers refer to being a member of the supporterss club and nothing to do with tickets.

As the letter says:

"There will be a basic membership fee for the 1893 bronzeclub, but membership of the three other tiers will be earned and membership cannot be purchased "

then it suggests you will automatically be upgraded. My guess is that the more you spend in the store, buy tickets (if not a ST) and the more often you book up Official Supporters clubs coach travel etc then the higher tier you will be granted. It will be interesting to see if Season Ticket holders will automatically be upgraded to Silver Tier.

The tiers refer to being a member of the supporterss club and nothing to do with tickets.

As the letter says:

"There will be a basic membership fee for the 1893 bronzeclub, but membership of the three other tiers will be earned and membership cannot be purchased "

then it suggests you will automatically be upgraded. My guess is that the more you spend in the store, buy tickets (if not a ST) and the more often you book up Official Supporters clubs coach travel etc then the higher tier you will be granted. It will be interesting to see if Season Ticket holders will automatically be upgraded to Silver Tier.
No it will be upgrades for everyone who praises Scally.Platinum for daily grovling. Gold for those who can't bring themselves to sing his praises every day .Silver for once a week grovlers. Bronze for anyone who does not meet that standard but does not criticise him.

No it will be upgrades for everyone who praises Scally.Platinum for daily grovling. Gold for those who can't bring themselves to sing his praises every day .Silver for once a week grovlers. Bronze for anyone who does not meet that standard but does not criticise him.
Further more there will be neck ties produced in the relevant club colours with a Platinum,Gold ,Silver and Bronze footballer on it and the club badge .Members will wear there ties to matches or face a life time ban.Ties will cost £50 available to members only .Failing to buy a tie members face a ban until they do.The Scally salute will become compulsory from 2021/22 season. Non members will be banned for life regardless of weather they are season ticket holders or not.
We will have the smartest and most loyal supporters in the world said Lord Scally of Brompton.

Further more there will be neck ties produced in the relevant club colours with a Platinum,Gold ,Silver and Bronze footballer on it and the club badge .Members will wear there ties to matches or face a life time ban.Ties will cost £50 available to members only .Failing to buy a tie members face a ban until they do.The Scally salute will become compulsory from 2021/22 season. Non members will be banned for life regardless of weather they are season ticket holders or not.
We will have the smartest and most loyal supporters in the world said Lord Scally of Brompton.

I agree with a lot of what you normally say on here Chris. But I think you are very wide of the mark on this, and sounding like those previously mentioned lot on the “fans” site.

As said by others above, Scally in his letter talks about those that abuse him and GFC staff, make comments that damage GFC brand and comments that are downright slanderous.

With all that I agree wholeheartedly with him.

The (fewer and fewer lately) times I scroll through that site, I’m gobsmacked at some of the things people post on there whilst purporting to be Gills supporters. If some of it was said about me I’d be looking at my options as well.

He says nothing, and probably cares not a jot, about people who simply disagree with him or moan about him. He’s been a business owner his whole life and is probably very used to people disagreeing with him.