Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Sunderland v Lincoln City

He had a split second to clear it off balance with no backlift. Please tell me where else that could have gone!?

Having gone back and looked at the replay, he could have,

a) passed it back to Rogers as the attacker came on to him,
b) let it roll across his body and play it with his right foot to Bridcutt in the box
c) let it roll across his body and play it with his right foot to Edun in the box (Edun was tightly marked, but would have had the option to return the ball to Rogers as he move up the wing)
d) put it out for a throw-in
e) put it out for a corner
f) kick it upfield away from one of their players

Other than those options, your probably right.

Last edited:
HT. Not impressed with either team to be honest. Sunderland haven’t shown a great deal of skill and, I think are there for the beating. On the other hand too many of our players look as though they haven’t played together. Montsma and Jackson can’t play together - they keep letting one of the strikers wander free instead of playing together as a team. Rogers and Bramall are hopeless. Bramall just wants to get forward and Rogers just wants to beat three or four players and blast the ball in for a worldly every time. Poole is getting better, though he was out of position for the goal (but so were Montsma and Jackson). I would like to see Rogers taken off, Johnson (who hasn’t done a lot) switched to the left and either Harry or Scully come on down the right. If MA can get the balance and instruction right for the second half we could win this as I think Sunderland’s heads will go down if we score.

HT1-0 to Sunderland. It was always going to be tough, but i think we've played well so far and its a good entertaining game of football. Doesnt it make a difference when our full backs play better. Alround i think they are much better today, although Poole should have laid the ball square to Morton who was in a better position, and a poor clearance from Bramhall, when under no pressure, gave the ball away which led to their goal. But much better. Edun better suited to a more forward midfield position and is adding some extra bite. Can't really fault anyone. Would be nice to get an equaliser.

I'm mystified by some of the comments here.

Bramall's had a good game. Takes his share of the blame for the goal but there was a lot wrong with that on many levels. Poole has done very well. But some people seem determined to jeer both of them out of the club before they've started, crackers.

And anyone who wants Rogers subbing off.... well, no offence but they need their heads or eyes examining.

HT1-0 to Sunderland. It was always going to be tough, but i think we've played well so far and its a good entertaining game of football. Doesnt it make a difference when our full backs play better. Alround i think they are much better today, although Poole should have laid the ball square to Morton who was in a better position, and a poor clearance from Bramhall, when under no pressure, gave the ball away which led to their goal. But much better. Edun better suited to a more forward midfield position and is adding some extra bite. Can't really fault anyone. Would be nice to get an equaliser.
Dont think you can say Bramhall wasnt under pressure, ball played to him on his own goal line with 2 Sunderland players around him.

Bramall's had a good game. Takes his share of the blame for the goal but there was a lot wrong with that on many levels. Poole has done very well. But some people seem determined to jeer both of them out of the club before they've started, crackers.

And anyone who wants Rogers subbing off.... well, no offence but they need their heads or eyes examining.
With you on those points Brendan, both full backs keeping their wingers quiet and providing some impetus going forward.

Must be a left back thing. Paul Mayo, Jeff Hughes, Tayo Edun, Cohen Bramall...!

Having gone back and looked at the replay, he could have,

a) passed it back to Johnson as the attacker came on to him,
b) let it roll across his body and play it with his right foot to Bridcutt in the box
c) let it roll across his body and play it with his right foot to Edun in the box (Edun was tightly marked, but would have had the option to return the ball to Rogers as he move up the wing)
d) put it out for a throw-in
e) put it out for a corner
f) kick it upfield away from one of their players

Other than those options, your probably right.
Yep, he literally could and should have done anything other than what he did!

Well, we did Ok until they scored - not much between the two sides.

Anderson (and possible Scully) wouldn't have lost his man for the goal like Johnson did.

One of these days Poole is going to score.

McGrandles best player for us so far.