Manchester City v Southampton - KO-18:00 GMT Wednesday 10th March 2021 -Premier League Match Preview and MDT | Page 8 | Vital Football

Manchester City v Southampton - KO-18:00 GMT Wednesday 10th March 2021 -Premier League Match Preview and MDT

Super work by a weaving Mahrez after taking a short KDB pass, and his right foot shot hits the post and is volleyed in by a leaping Gundo with his right foot inside the six yard box.

I don't care, but it's a little harsh on Saints.

Mr Whippy is back on the scoresheet!

Boy did we need that cushion right at THAT moment. That was NOT a comfortable half and we will have to be sharp for the second half as Southampton are giving us a game.
We REALLY need to push on now, and get our grove back.

That penalty shout for us.......Hinchcliffe needs to see an optician. I await his revised opinion.

Their keeper CLEARLY catches Foden's left ankle. IT IS AS CLEAR AS DAY.

That decision from VAR harks back to the first season decisions under this system when the VAR officials simply refused to contradict the on field official. Ludicrous.

Shaun Goater - Foden punished for staying on his feet
Jon Moss' decision to not award City a penalty is the biggest talking point of that first half.

It looked like Phil Foden beat Alex McCarthy to the ball, but Shaun Goater feels the midfielder has been penalised for trying to play on.

"I think it was an easy decision to call the penalty. Foden has tried to be honest and stayed on his feet. That’s Phil Foden, he goes to ground but scrambles to get up and by then it’s protected. But the referee doesn't use his common sense and realise it’s a foul. At the other end we have a soft penalty, while Phil Foden is punished for staying on his feet."

That penalty shout for us.......Hinchcliffe needs to see an optician. Their keeper CLEARLY catches Foden's left ankle. IT IS AS CLEAR AS DAY.

That decision from VAR harks back to the first season decisions under this system when the VAR officials simply refused to contradict the on field official. Ludicrous.

a clear and obvious error

That penalty shout for us.......Hinchcliffe needs to see an optician. I await his revised opinion.

Their keeper CLEARLY catches Foden's left ankle. IT IS AS CLEAR AS DAY.

Yes, and he also caught him on the back leg it seemed to me with his thigh.

Commentary By John Edwards @ManCity
HT
So far so good
Neil Leigh at the Etihad:
That last 10 minutes of the first half served another potent reminder of one of the hallmarks of Pep Guardiola’s stewardship - one of City’s burning desire and relentless quest to keep seeking more.
In many ways it has been a tricky and demanding first half – but we go in armed with a crucial two-goal advantage and perfectly poised to kick on after the break.
A thoroughly entertaining first half which has flown by. And no lack of positives for Pep Guardiola’s side. So far, so good!