Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City

Not a great first half there, but signs that we can get the three points come 5pm.

Johnson very subdued today. Fatigue I'd expect.

One major positive has been the delivery from corners which is causing them problems. Much better today

Pitch isn't helping either team

Wind and grant assisted goal for them.
great to get back level straight away.
Edun infuriating.
Everything good for us is coming via rogers
scully joins the gang of five on the sidelines.

let’s see if they can cope second 45 against the biggest threat so far, the weather.

HT. Uninspiring game so far. Wigan have seen a high press has been successful for other teams and it doesn’t help that we are sitting too deep and not attacking the player running with the ball, which is what Bridcutt does so well. We also look a little jaded. MA talk will hopefully sort them out 🤞. They are there for the taking really - you can see why they have conceded so many goals. In a way I was surprised at the substitution - thought Sanders would come on to block up the middle in front of the defence (unless that’s what Tayo is supposed to be doing). Come on Lincoln - get a grip of the game.

Well that was a tough watch. It felt like a L2 game at times. Wigan hustled and harried really well but also passed quite well through the middle because there is so much space. We look shaky at the back although that may partly be the wind. We have a horrible habit of getting hustled off the ball in our own third of the pitch, which I don't like. Scully was our big threat and I do hope the injury is nothing serious. Hopper needs to get more into the game. We look ok going forward and could score again.

Bullied by a team that wants to win the ball, Hopper flicking the ball on and having to chase it himself, Rogers should be reading that. Rogers and Johnson need to try to influence the game, swap wings, move inside, hug the line come deep, just waiting for it to happen too much.

Wind and grant assisted goal for them.
great to get back level straight away.
Edun infuriating.
Everything good for us is coming via rogers
scully joins the gang of five on the sidelines.

let’s see if they can cope second 45 against the biggest threat so far, the weather.

Agree Rogeers looks the most dangerous when he gets involved.

Hopefully it was the wind that making the Imps play in such a disjointed manner in that 1st half. The Wigan possession in the midfield needs to be challenged in the 2nd half.

difficult game. The form would tell you that Wigan arent all that good so either they've raised their game against the top team, or we are struggling. Maybe a bit of both. We lack energy that we have seen from our game, not just today either. That said, we are getting forward a bit towards the end of the half. Poole having a good game. Big loss for us with Scully going off. I think we will play better in the second half. Final score prediction 2-2 or 3-2 to Lincoln. We need to battle though.

To be fair, time was up. What would have happened if it was down the other end and Kettle 'let' Wigan take a corner after the allotted time and they ended up scoring? Some of you on here would have a fit!
It's a minimum not a maximum but I wouldn't trust Kettle as far as I could throw him, must be his last season on the list, he was past it when we went out the league 10 years ago!

If we play like this for the rest of the season, we'll be finishing in the Play Offs. Thankfully we do seem to excel in the 2nd half of most games.

Kettle is letting a lot go which I'm not sure is because he wants to give the game chance or he just can't keep up with what's happening.

I suspect the later

Johnson is an absolute shadow of himself at the moment.
The fella relies on close control and that initial burst of pace to go past people. Not helped by the poor pitch, and possibly ‘running on tired/empty/in the pretty knackered zone’ ))) as per scully.

Glad to be in all level. Struggling with the Wigan press, their pitch and the wind. Scully s injury a massive blow as this game really suited him. Agree that Johnson is looking very tired as he has in the last few games. Really needs a rest but injuries are preventing this. Must take heart from the fact we are level and the fact when we have strung a couple of passes they’ve opened up easily. Need to get at em in the second half.👏👏👏

Poor first half, Wigan's defence is there for the taking, need to be more accurate with passes and get it forward quicker. Grant is still off his best same as against Sunderland. Johnson might as well have stayed at home, needs to get his head up (that being said hopefully he will be outstanding in second half).
I'm listening to both sets of commentary and Hortin still very poor.
Other than that COYI