Max Sanders Signs! | Page 6 | Vital Football

Max Sanders Signs!

Some very good words from the Brighton end.

I suspect we'll not see *that* much of him this season, likewise Bramall and Poole.

If they are as good as their reputations are suggesting then I can’t see them not playing if they show it in training and any game time they get. Especially Poole, who will be replacing a loanee.

Will be interesting to see who Is right.

The reality is that we have half of the season still to fit into 3 and a bit months. Usually by this point you are a good 5/6 more games played. We will be seeing a bit more rotation and all 3 brought in over the last few days will be a big part of that

Looks like Wimbledon played him deep in the centre of a five man midfield. But he doesn’t look like a tackler and a header in bridcutt style. Although we might be aiming to get bridcutt to add that to his game.
be interesting to see how/where ma wants him to play for us.

one assist was a corner, one was a wide free kick delivery. So - like bramall - he provides more dead ball options. Coincidence? Or possibly one of the areas ma is looking to improve.

Looks like Wimbledon played him deep in the centre of a five man midfield. But he doesn’t look like a tackler and a header in bridcutt style. Although we might be aiming to get bridcutt to add that to his game.

one assist was a corner, one was a wide free kick delivery. So - like bramall - he provides more dead ball options. Coincidence? Or possibly one of the areas ma is looking to improve.

Appears to have been quite an astute comment this.

MA says he is a number 4 and will learn alot working and playing alongside Liam Bridcutt. Perhaps a hint there to the role he see for Sanders in the furure.

Last edited:
There should be a difference between persistently making challenges which you occasionally get penalised for and persistent infringement.

If you make 20 challenges and give away 4 free kicks, that's not persistent infringement.

If you make 5 challenges and give away 4 free kicks, that probably is.

I would argue Bridcutt is in the first category.

Brighton fans say he’s a deep lying midfielder so that is the Bridcutt role. Interesting he can cover right back too.

Can see him getting a start in the next home game.

Of all 3 new signings, I've a feeling that we may see this lad first .... Brighton fans reckon he's top notch so we'll see, especially if Brids is struggling with knocks.
looking forward to seeing him - and the other two. if we brought forward our summer recruitment, these are our 'next level of the project' signings.
this fella was a bit of an unknown quantity, so i watched the highlights of quite a few of his Wimbledon games. closest recent comparison i would give is gotts. next would be morrell (minus the feisty tackling). didn't remind me of bridcutt much at all.
but those were just highlights, the games were last season, and he was playing in a struggling team. the brilliant thing about young players (as we are witnessing first hand) is that their game can be developed rapidly with top coaching.

There should be a difference between persistently making challenges which you occasionally get penalised for and persistent infringement.

If you make 20 challenges and give away 4 free kicks, that's not persistent infringement.

If you make 5 challenges and give away 4 free kicks, that probably is.

I would argue Bridcutt is in the first category.

Against Peterborough the stats had him 6 successful tackles and 5 fouls haha, which was the most obvious one.

Persistent fouling seems to be open to interpretation (no specific number of fouls) but not sure the above interpretation would be one considered so much. Just because you have to make a lot of tackles doesn't give you leeway to make more fouls surely? I think the nature of the foul probably effects it, as does how many fouls are in the game (if there are loads in a game, one player committing 4 is less jarring than if there have only been 10 fouls total).

Against Peterborough the stats had him 6 successful tackles and 5 fouls haha, which was the most obvious one.

Persistent fouling seems to be open to interpretation (no specific number of fouls) but not sure the above interpretation would be one considered so much. Just because you have to make a lot of tackles doesn't give you leeway to make more fouls surely? I think the nature of the foul probably effects it, as does how many fouls are in the game (if there are loads in a game, one player committing 4 is less jarring than if there have only been 10 fouls total).
absolutely this. the referee is there to deal with the rules. he isn't judging the nice passes and the fair tackles.

absolutely this. the referee is there to deal with the rules. he isn't judging the nice passes and the fair tackles.
Absolutely not this (except that he is there to deal with the rules)

The laws of football define various categories of foul. Careless fouls should not be penalised by a card. Therefore in theory you can make 100 fouls with no card.

However, persistent fouls according to the laws should result in a card.

Persistent fouls is helpfully clarified by the following words "no specific number or pattern of offences constitutes persistent".

If I was refereeing Bridcutt and he made 20 challenges 16 legal and 4 slightly careless, I would have to decide if that constituted persistent and the laws or lack of them would judge me perfectly correct to not card him. I would be taking into consideration his fair tackles and his illegal ones.

Absolutely not this (except that he is there to deal with the rules)

The laws of football define various categories of foul. Careless fouls should not be penalised by a card. Therefore in theory you can make 100 fouls with no card.

However, persistent fouls according to the laws should result in a card.

Persistent fouls is helpfully clarified by the following words "no specific number or pattern of offences constitutes persistent".

If I was refereeing Bridcutt and he made 20 challenges 16 legal and 4 slightly careless, I would have to decide if that constituted persistent and the laws or lack of them would judge me perfectly correct to not card him. I would be taking into consideration his fair tackles and his illegal ones.
yes, i was wrong - a fair tackle is judged by a referee, the result is he allows play to continue.
it would be interesting if there is an ex-referee on this forum who can give his views on the interpretation of 'persistent fouls' and dealing with bridcutt. )))

yes, i was wrong - a fair tackle is judged by a referee, the result is he allows play to continue.
it would be interesting if there is an ex-referee on this forum who can give his views on the interpretation of 'persistent fouls' and dealing with bridcutt. )))
I guess it will vary from ref to ref.

FIFA should be all over this, they don',t like to give refs any use of judgement or common sense.

Last edited: