Other PL Games - 20/21 | Page 20 | Vital Football

Other PL Games - 20/21

"Hey Christian. I've got an idea. What if we made it that when the defender touches the ball everyone goes back to being onside?"

"Good plan Hans, after all the boss said our bonuses would increase if we created more goals by keep changing the rules."

"I've also got another idea to make more money Christian. Why don't we only let the goalkeeper touch the ball 10 times each half with his hands?"

"Too soon Hans, we'll never get away with that one yet."

So the rules distinguish between an "offside position" and an "offside offence". Now clearly when the header comes back Rodri is in an offside position. Is he interfering with play? Nope, so no offence. He then becomes "active" so we all assume that he has therefore committed an offside offence. We all assume it is the "same phase". Everyone in the stadium did except the linesman who didn't put his flag up. He knew the rules. As did Moss.

Dermot Gallagher is saying that IFAB have changed the rules at some stage because as soon as Mings touches it then it is a different phase. Therefore, there is no offside offence and no blame can be apportioned to the ref who is following IFAB's rules.

So this one is on IFAB apparently and even Gallagher had to do some research to advise BT Sports.

Where I'm disappointed is with Moss. All he had to say to Smith was "Sorry mate, the new IFAB ruling is that as soon as Mings touched it, it is now classed as a new phase. I have no choice but to give it."

Perhaps we're seeing some of the people skills missing from Moss's refereeing that Nuno was talking about a few weeks back !!!
Dermot Gallagher says "Rodri being in an offside position is not an offence, once Mings decides to play the ball it's what's termed in the laws of the game as a natural football movement, he takes ownership of that situation and therefore Rodri can get involved."

He goes on to say what the VAR will have been saying to Referee Moss "He will say Rodri's in an offside position, I'm watching and monitoring him, he will then see Mings try to control the ball, and once he takes it on his chest he will tell Jon Moss that Rodri can again take part in play again."

But can a player really be in control of the ball as soon as it lands on his chest? Or to use some of Gallagher's terminology "natural football moment", "ownership".

For a new phase to begin I think the ball should clearly be under control, although that in itself is subjective. But at least it should be on the ground.

Dermot Gallagher says "Rodri being in an offside position is not an offence, once Mings decides to play the ball it's what's termed in the laws of the game as a natural football movement, he takes ownership of that situation and therefore Rodri can get involved."

He goes on to say what the VAR will have been saying to Referee Moss "He will say Rodri's in an offside position, I'm watching and monitoring him, he will then see Mings try to control the ball, and once he takes it on his chest he will tell Jon Moss that Rodri can again take part in play again."

But can a player really be in control of the ball as soon as it lands on his chest? Or to use some of Gallagher's terminology "natural football moment", "ownership".

For a new phase to begin I think the ball should clearly be under control, although that in itself is subjective. But at least it should be on the ground.
IMO, once the ball reached Mings, it was totally under control. He chested it perfectly, got his foot it to perfectly and just tried to be too smart with the attempted movement thereafter. I think it is more to do with the spirit of the game.

With less 10 mins on the clock, imo, the defender should not have ponsed around trying to be smart. He had several options to despatch the ball.

IMO, once the ball reached Mings, it was totally under control. He chested it perfectly, got his foot it to perfectly and just tried to be too smart with the attempted movement thereafter. I think it is more to do with the spirit of the game.

With less 10 mins on the clock, imo, the defender should not have ponsed around trying to be smart. He had several options to despatch the ball.

If that happened to a Spurs defender, Jose would have roasted, sliced and diced before freezing him to transport to the never regions....

I agree, like it or not, he should have done a Spurs special and hoofed it.

I

I was talking in general rather than Mings specifically. And to be fair to Mings I don't think he was aware of Rodri behind him. Before the ball came down he took a quick look to his right and wouldn't have seen him at that point.

Nonetheless, you're a hard taskmaster CS. Jose would be glad to have on you on the team!

A hard lesson to learn, he wont do it again and others need to take note.

Who'd have thunk it.

TBH, Pool aren't all that this season. All their strikers are badly misfiring and their wing men almost look very ordinary. Makes it for a fascinating season.
Suddenly they look like the team who may miss out on top four. Even Carragher and Souness are saying that. Unthinkable two months ago, but this season is so all over the place that the top eight currently could still finish in any order.

My two penneth on that word/description....Spursy, I bleedin hate it, so never use it.

Ask yourselves lad n lasses are L'Fools ripe for the plucking next week, they have a massive FA Cup tie v MU, then us the Mighty Spurs.

Earlier on in the season they had their whole first choice back four out through injury. Ndidi was also injured. So they've had their fair share. That's why it's so commendable they've stayed in contention. They've got strength in depth in almost every position of their squad except cover for Vardy.
And no sooner had you said it lol.

We're going to see just what they're made of now.

I watched Troy Parrott for Millwall. While he didnt do much wrong, he just didnt do much. His control and passing was ok. Had one good shot on goal saved, nice turn and execution but too near the keeper. Some expansive passing. But something was missing, he was not the focal point and looked somewhat lost.
I only watched the first half then had to take a phone call so may have missed a few minutes of the resumption, he was subbed off soon after.

So after the controversy over the Rodri/Mings/Silva offside goal last week, referees have been advised that should a similar situation arise they are to rule the goal offside.

Correct and common sense interpretation but too late for Villa.

I've just read that Alex Scott on BBC reckoned that West Ham are playing on the front foot and are enjoyable to watch. Never thought I'd hear quotes like that about a David Moyes side. Annoying as their league position is, I'm actually quite pleased for Moyes individually. Ever since Ferguson set him up, and then knocked him down he's had a difficult few years.
Sullivan, Gould and Brady treated him disgracefully at the end of his first spell at West Ham, whereby he must have been pretty desperate to go back. Although I don't for a minute think that they will finish top six, he does at least seem to have stabilised the Club and got them on an upward curve.