Memo to Mr PS | Vital Football

Memo to Mr PS

In an ideal world yes, I suspect we are not in a position to do so and given our finances any deal could be risky in the event of a lengthy injury. Enjoy him while you can can’t see him being a gill for long.............:cry:

Any scouts watching since his return from injury and a few games before will be very impressed.
IMO he’s a bit too classy for this division.

If only we’d had a decent striker this season for him to link up with. Oliver tries but is limited. Akinde too. Both League 2 level IMO.

Thing is, when those type of players leave in the summer, fans straight away point a finger saying “why didn’t we offer a new/longer/better deal?”.

Without even knowing if we did, or if the player refused one.

Always GFC’s fault...

In the case of Jordan Graham I bet a pound to a penny we initially offered him a multi-year deal, and I’d suspect we are constantly badgering him to sign an extended one. But like with Tom Eaves, a player good enough to go higher will be better off guarding his options.

Regarding Dempsey, I’m not sure where I read it , but I could have sworn he was signed on a 2 year deal. Hope so.

Although Jordan Graham is clearly a class above, he also has a pretty horrendous injury record, which was the reason we got him on loan the first time. He has even missed a few games this season.

By my calculation, he has managed 65 senior appearances in senior football over 7-8 seasons:
Jordan Graham - Wikipedia

There would therefore be a risk in offering him an extra long contract, and a risk for anyone trying to take him off us.

Dom Samuel has also had long injury issues which was why we were able to get him on a free, and will be paying him for inaction for most of the rest of the season.

Although Jordan Graham is clearly a class above, he also has a pretty horrendous injury record, which was the reason we got him on loan the first time. He has even missed a few games this season.

By my calculation, he has managed 65 senior appearances in senior football over 7-8 seasons:
Jordan Graham - Wikipedia

There would therefore be a risk in offering him an extra long contract, and a risk for anyone trying to take him off us.

Dom Samuel has also had long injury issues which was why we were able to get him on a free, and will be paying him for inaction for most of the rest of the season.
True about Samuel, seen it mentioned a few times on the Gills Facebook forum that he failed a medical at Rotherham in the summer.
All comes down to budget doesn’t it, players with injury histories will always be more affordable than those who play 40+ games every season.

Long injury records definitely hamper a player's chances but some overcome problems and put together long runs. Graham has already played more games for us than for any of his other clubs. It looks as if he has overcome the injuries, is in a vein of form and has justified the faith put in him. We win either way. He stays and propels us to a good finish, he leaves and we get a good price. Hope he stays.

Lack of games could well be the reason for Graham's past injury record. IE if he had almost no chance of playing most of the time then busted a gut during spells when he got a sniff of the action.

Most enjoyable player to watch for me. I hope we offer a contract but similar to Eaves and Egan he's destined for bigger things.

It would be nice to sell him for a price though rather than see him leave on a free.

Problem is we probably haven't got the cash.