EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’... | Page 686 | Vital Football

EU strategy to destroy the Chequers ‘agreement’...

This whole thread started not as a pro/anti Brexit thing, but as a deal versus no deal. I for one am thankful that the worst position has been avoided. No deal would have killed certain industries at a stroke. But a lot more needs to be known about the deal. The commentators beforehand were suggesting that trade in goods was covered but not trade in services. Given that trade in services is worth a lot more than goods to the UK, information on this is critical. As part of that, the visa arrangements had already been announced. If those don’t change, businesses providing services to EU states might find themselves hamstrung. e,g. If you’re an engineer project managing a scheme, it’s hardly going to work if you’re forced to leave whatever country you’re working in after 90 days. Similar questions remain on the position of the City and access to financial markets.

Stand by your beds chaps! Captain Mainwairing, Sgt Wilson & Corporal Jones of the ERG have convened a meeting of The Star Chamber in the scout hut at Warminster on Sea. They'll be going through this with a fine tooth comb and HQ will bally well have to come in line.

http://www.dadsarmy.co.uk/map.html
The Barmy Brexiteers won’t like it and the Rabid Remainers won’t like it.
So on balance, it’s probably as good as both sides were going to get.

Waynekerr will be incandescent because he was certain that it would take ten years.

This whole thread started not as a pro/anti Brexit thing, but as a deal versus no deal. I for one am thankful that the worst position has been avoided. No deal would have killed certain industries at a stroke. But a lot more needs to be known about the deal. The commentators beforehand were suggesting that trade in goods was covered but not trade in services. Given that trade in services is worth a lot more than goods to the UK, information on this is critical. As part of that, the visa arrangements had already been announced. If those don’t change, businesses providing services to EU states might find themselves hamstrung. e,g. If you’re an engineer project managing a scheme, it’s hardly going to work if you’re forced to leave whatever country you’re working in after 90 days. Similar questions remain on the position of the City and access to financial markets.
The final decider for me was that the EU were talking about taxing any transaction the City made. They never made the same proposals for Frankfurt.

Nigel Farage seems happy with the deal, saying it's not perfect, but Boris has delivered his promise, and the war is over. So that means we can start putting our TVs back on again? 😊

Farage started by saying that it was a good deal for German Car Makers and French Wine companies but not so good for the City of London but...then went on to say that, on the face of it, overall it seemed good for the UK and certainly anything that Theresa May had negotiated.

He did add that there could also be clauses hidden in the agreement that may only be highlighted by closer scrutiny.

I'm having to do all the cooking tomorrow. I feel like a puppet on a string. The missus asked what we are having. I said all kinds of everything. I think I've met my Waterloo.

Last edited:
Since we have agreed to continue paying large sums of money to maintain access to the Eurovision club then we will continue being a member. I don't think it is anywhere close to £300million but whatever it is could be better spent on something more domestic like boosting The X Factor. Of course some of you will screech on about how benefital it is but personally I find our whole inclusion to he usually pointless. Anyone who thinks Eurovision is worth paying to be a member of the club is in La-La-La Land.

Since we have agreed to continue paying large sums of money to maintain access to the Eurovision club then we will continue being a member. I don't think it is anywhere close to £300million but whatever it is could be better spent on something more domestic like boosting The X Factor. Of course some of you will screech on about how benefital it is but personally I find our whole inclusion to he usually pointless. Anyone who thinks Eurovision is worth paying to be a member of the club is in La-La-La Land.

£310,000, but not worth a penny!

£310,000, but not worth a penny!
Are you kidding me?
The Europeans love it 😍
I was in Malta a few years back when they came second and it was virtually a public holiday declared.
Cars blocking the streets, horns beeping, flags waving.
It was a good laugh actually and the bonus of coming second was that they didn’t have to host it the following year.
They couldn’t have afforded to.