Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Plymouth Argyle v Lincoln City

We always knew this would be a difficult week, I blame Danny, he made the draw😈
To look on the bright side, even though we only scored one goal in three games we did get four points, and we won’t have to endure another Liverpool....

Get the knives out Kev .This is unacceptable it sums up just how bad its been for the last few seasons .Personally I have had enough .That's it for me they can have my season ticket .Its not much to ask for is it? All we want is a team that can put a shift in

You clearly need to work on your olive presentation. Confused too many

Frustrating, annoying, and....football. Take the league points from this week, reflect on some good things from the game including some players getting a run out and playing in different positions. Oh and practice the bloody finishing.

We're only four months into this new side and at the end of a long week on the road we've outplayed but lost to a side with an excellent home record, having made numerous changes to our line up.

Small steps and provided we're not still failing to hit cow's backsides come Easter time, massive progress will be made this season.

In fact a good time to judge will be the corresponding fixture in the league and we've just been handed all the incentive we need for that game.

I hope they get Middlesbrough away in the next round; I'm not bitter you understand :grinning:

I think that's an important point - hopefully our cutting edge at that end of the field will come, especially as I don't think this many Montsma goals (or this many penalties for Grant - especially now refs are deciding they don't like Brennan so much) is sustainable and we'll see a bit of a regression to the mean.

If it does and Hopper gets 10-15 say, we'll be up there.

In fairness, we did annihilate FGR 6-2. I think I would have preferred if that was the one Grant rested of the two though.

Is it still the right thing to do if we don't beat Wigan, or if we finish mid table at the end? I'm never sure about that with cup rotation... I think it's hard to say at this point whether it's the right thing to do?

I think you're right that the whole Morton thing has restricted us, though.
Looking ahead at the schedule (8 games in December?), a week of 1,200+ miles (a double whammy with being half way there on Tuesday only to come back and do it all again yesterday) along with Montsma back from injury only last week, Jackson isn't one to do to 3 games in a week, Grant hasn't had a rest this season, Bridcutt needs looking after etc etc, it was the right call regardless IMO.

This could've been one of those 'a game too far' for some players and I'd rather we err on the side of caution in that respect.

We have had no problem playing this way and scoring against league 2 teams, and the signs are we will do ok with a tight defence and our first 11 against the L1 teams. January could be a huge chance to add goal scoring option(s) and a decent left back. That would take us to another level. Or the likes of scully, Edun, Melbourne, archibald, gotts, eyoma continue to improve and it clicks with minimum changes. All about finances.

and a quick recovery by Morton might make up for the missing 3rd round fa cup match.
lots to be positive about.

Looking ahead at the schedule (8 games in December?), a week of 1,200+ miles (a double whammy with being half way there on Tuesday only to come back and do it all again yesterday) along with Montsma back from injury only last week, Jackson isn't one to do to 3 games in a week, Grant hasn't had a rest this season, Bridcutt needs looking after etc etc, it was the right call regardless IMO.

This could've been one of those 'a game too far' for some players and I'd rather we err on the side of caution in that respect.

Could you not argue that resting Grant for FGR rather than this one and not being involved next week at all in the EFL trophy would be alright?

I think the last half hour showed Grant with Saturday Tuesday in his legs is more dangerous and cutting than some of our other options.

I am not disagreeing that we are struggling to score I am merely pointing out that with with two strikers injured we are coping to remain at the right end of the table.

I get that, I would say Hopper is our main striker with Morton injured. Soule never really had a run of games to show what he could do. My issue is that I applaud the good football and it is pleasing on the eye. However, we seldom trouble the keeper in the final third. Invariably, the players with the ball on the edge of the box don't seem to know what to do with it. Those options don't seem to be there, and when that is the case the player then tries to launch one which ends up in row Z more often than not. This is not only today but over the last few weeks. We seem to rely on a Grant penalty or a Montsma goal as someone else has commented upon. Likewise, delivery from corners was poor today and crosses in general tbf. Those short corners delivered nothing. If we can't get the delivery right then those forwards are not getting the service. Johnson is a fantastic talent but he needs to look up and look for options, he can't take everyone on although it is good to see when it does come off. Their first goal came from poor marking two Lincoln players Edun and McGrandles (I Think) should have done better they could not stop that first goal. I get rotation with games coming thick and fast but a settled back four is always the priority for me (Grotier, Branfoot Leigh) keep the goals out and you have a chance. However, more emphasis needs to be on our final ball and our killer instinct which is lacking at the moment.