New Scally letter | Vital Football

New Scally letter

A reasonable read. He still manages to take a couple of pot shots at unnamed businesses and individuals, a bit unnecessary but it would hardly be a letter from the Chairman without them.

Paul Scally is entitled to call it as he sees it. He feels the club has been treated badly, so he says so, nothing wrong with that. He is getting the club through this and he has my admiration and thanks.

Yes, a positive, well-written letter, but a bit overly long. I also think, if Scally is going to have a pop at negative businesses/people etc., he should actually explain what and who it's about, otherwise it's just meaningless and makes him sound like a moaner for the sake of it. Also, I believe (I scan read and may have missed it), again, he has made no comment about the matches STHs missed out on last year - personally, I want the club to survive and am not seeking a refund, but I know others are, but think he should be at least recognise the fact that STHs went without last season and at least say a "thank you" to them.

PS`s reference to him sitting alone in the Rainham End and pondering ups and downs on and off the field suggests more than a hint of sincerity about the man. He may not be everyone`s cup of tea and his communication may be a bit lacking at times, but there`s no doubt in my mind that he cares greatly for Gillingham FC. Without PS we may well have been a National League club several years ago.

PS`s reference to him sitting alone in the Rainham End and pondering ups and downs on and off the field suggests more than a hint of sincerity about the man. He may not be everyone`s cup of tea and his communication may be a bit lacking at times, but there`s no doubt in my mind that he cares greatly for Gillingham FC. Without PS we may well have been a National League club several years ago.
Or no club at all 😮

I have no vested interest as I am not a STH but I must say that I find it weird that he makes no specific reference to the matter. He does thank "people" for their support and patience and I can only imagine he includes STHs in that but I'm sure all (well, nearly all) would be happy if he referred to them specifically just to show that he appreciates the loyalty.
I'm sure he did mention right at the start of all this that the matter would be addressed and all I can think is that he will address it once he has some solid idea of when we will be taking some sort of money again. Let's face it, with no cash coming in, he has nothing to give back. The argument that he has paid for players but not refunded ticket money holds no water with me. If he'd done it that way, as Lancs alludes to, we'd have no league football, or possibly no club, to go back to. Maintaining league one status MUST be priority number one in my book.

I also think, if Scally is going to have a pop at negative businesses/people etc., he should actually explain what and who it's about, otherwise it's just meaningless and makes him sound like a moaner for the sake of it.

He does touch on one such incident, although given his reference to other individuals and businesses behaving "appallingly", there are presumably worse incidents he could've mentioned:

"Our ticketing and online retail provider turned off our platform in June depriving us of much needed income, we owed them some money which we were trying to pay, but it caused a problem by their actions. We were in a bit of an unsettled place in that period but have now settled down well. I’m not blaming the supplier but I felt their actions were harsh "

He does touch on one such incident, although given his reference to other individuals and businesses behaving "appallingly", there are presumably worse incidents he could've mentioned:

"Our ticketing and online retail provider turned off our platform in June depriving us of much needed income, we owed them some money which we were trying to pay, but it caused a problem by their actions. We were in a bit of an unsettled place in that period but have now settled down well. I’m not blaming the supplier but I felt their actions were harsh "
Agree, especially when they cut off one of our main revenue streams making it even harder to raise the money to pay them.

The online shop was down all that time as we hadn't paid the bill!:rolleyes:

Cash is King.

When you've got no cash flow you have to make difficult decisions about who to pay and who to tell "I'll pay you when I can".

The firm providing the online retail platform aren't that bright; why turn off a revenue stream for a client who is struggling anyway. Keep that channel open and you've got much more chance of getting paid.

Don’t forget even long standing club secretary Gwen Poynter was let go, some real tough decisions have been made, the ladies team being another to be axed thanks to lack of funds coming in.