Chorley in our cup | Page 14 | Vital Football

Chorley in our cup

Yes we were giant killers many times but never from 2nil down at a league one club.
Agree, we only have ourselves to blame for today's defeat,
there is no fight and toughness in this team,
when things start to go wrong we have no leadership on and off the pitch.

Agree, we only have ourselves to blame for today's defeat,
there is no fight and toughness in this team,
when things start to go wrong we have no leadership on and off the pitch.
But also we never faced a club ripped apart like Latics and a club with a squad so poor when we were non league.

Average age of today's side is just under 24 with the back 4s average age being around 21. If lads like Obi and Long can get through this season it will be a fantastic learning curve. I honestly believe if we could get fans back through gates some of these young boys would grow in confidence alongside some better senior players. Pearce, Massey and Garner have to step up. If we can get Naismith, Evans, Otabor back and a few more decent signings in there's no reason that we can't stay up. We have been competitive in every game this season and we have to remain positive. If the Manager is gonna show the character he showed in his post match interview the players aren't going to respond to him.

Give over 2 nil up at home to a shit team we all keep saying how good these young lads are they are not 16. We have gone Worse. With this clown

I don't think we've seen anything to suggest the young lads are that good. If they were as good as people claim then we wouldn't be so terrible.

We have gone worse the more injuries we had to senior pros and the more kids we've had to play. We keep hearing the lads will get better with more games but as you said we are getting worse.

I think Sheridan isn't the right man but I think he is getting blame for his failings which is fair plus all the blame for the players failings as people hated the idea of saying the much hyped kids aren't all we hoped.

Players letting us down just as badly if not worse than manager with these horrendous errors. As a manager you can't legislate for 90% of the goals conceeded this season being individual mistakes you would get slaughtered for a pub level.

Last edited:
Time to say goodbye to Mr Sheridan, I would bring in the Cowley Brothers who know how to put spirit into a team, no passion at all in the team at present and the least they will do is change that!

I don't think we've seen anything to suggest the young lads are that good. If they were as good as people claim then we wouldn't be so terrible.

We have gone worse the more injuries we had to senior pros and the more kids we've had to play.

I think Sheridan isn't the right man but I think he is getting blame for his failings plus all the players failings as people hated the idea of saying the much hyped kids aren't all we hoped.

The much hyped kids have left haven't they? All this talk of our academy producing all these top players is a bit beyond my understanding. It's been waste of time the last 10 years and hasn't produced a single first team regular since Macmanaman and Baines came through after being released by Everton.

Different managers can get better results and performances out of the same players than other managers and it happens all the time.
Look at Luton before and after Nathan Jones came in late last season for just the latest in a long line of examples
It can happen with individual players too. Look at Bramble under Bruce and then look at the mistake riddled player before that under Hutchins and again under Martinez
Who could we bring in? I haven’t got a clue but a time when the manager should be stepping up and directing them, giving instructions and geeing them up when their heads had dropped is today so to see him stood there with his hands in his pocket doing jack shit gives an indication of what he’s like on a day to day basis and it’s no wonder that the team looks completely rudder less out on the pitch

I agree about certain managers can get more out of players. Sometimes you look at a side and know they are capable of more but I honestly don't think there is much you can possibly get out of some of these players - physical and technically a lot of them just dont look up to it.

I don't think anyone could come in at the moment with the take over looking like it's hitting issues with delay after delay we are stuck as is until it eventually gets passed or rejected and Royle steps in.

Once takeover is done I'd like to move Sheridan on but I think whoever mad / brave enough to come in will also struggle unless they get all the senior players back fit and a lot of new faces.

Don’t agree with you - I think a number of our young academy/youth players have huge potential and just need some experience and coaching perhaps, but as long as we have a manager low on foresight and experience himself, that’s not going to happen !.

I hope you're right but I've seen very little to suggest they have huge potential. When it's our youth players we tend to be rooting so hard for them to succeed we maybe over exaggerate their pluses and under play their negatives and see them through rose tinted glasses. I think we've had a bit of that this season.

I agree about certain managers can get more out of players. Sometimes you look at a side and know they are capable of more but I honestly don't think there is much you can possibly get out of some of these players - physical and technically a lot of them just dont look up to it.

I don't think anyone could come in at the moment with the take over looking like it's hitting issues with delay after delay we are stuck as is until it eventually gets passed or rejected and Royle steps in.

Once takeover is done I'd like to move Sheridan on but I think whoever mad / brave enough to come in will also struggle unless they get all the senior players back fit and a lot of new faces.

I get what you're trying to say but just look at some of the current players:
Massey - Paul Cook was able to get far more out of him against far better players than Chorley had today
Pearce - didn't play that much under Cook but again looked far batter against Championship players than he showed today against bottom of the National League North players
Garner - never been his biggest fan but one thing you couldn't accuse him of previously was a lack of fight. You could certainly accuse him of that today

And you really don't think that a manager cajoling his players and providing clear instructions at full time and mid way in extra time couldn't have got more out of those players than a manager stood around with his hands in his pockets and giving them absolutely Jack shit by way of motivation and instruction

I fully accept the limitations of our squad and you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear but you can at least make some sort of purse with it. John Sheridan on the other hand has managed to fashion some kind of manky tea bag.

And I've just watched the highlights of Arsenal playing like absolute dog turd today against Villa. The players were never at the races and made mistake after mistake from start to finish and do you know what Arteta said in his interview afterwards? He said "I take full responsibility for that performance."
He didn't hang some kid with less than 10 senior appearances out to dry or blame players he didn't have available. He took responsibility for his mistakes not like that coward Sheridan

The much hyped kids have left haven't they? All this talk of our academy producing all these top players is a bit beyond my understanding. It's been waste of time the last 10 years and hasn't produced a single first team regular since Macmanaman and Baines came through after being released by Everton.

I think your concept of time and effect needs re-calibrating Donnie. The academy started toward the end of Bobby's reign. There's then a lead-time from establishing the philosophy and fundamental methodology, getting the kids in, developing them, and enabling their transition to the first team squad. With Gelhardt and Weir, this season, we would have hopefully completed that transition.

Merrie and Perry weren't the jewels. Long, Obi and Joseph aren't ready yet. Crankshaw, Aasgard and McHugh are even further away.

There's little point in blaming the academy for things outside their control. Their time hasn't come yet. It's like taking a cake out of the oven hald an hour before it's due time and expecting it to be cooked.

Sheridan, 'My worst defeat as a manager', admits Wigan Athletic boss,
“The goals we have conceded all season have been absolutely comical''

The problem is you don't inspire any confidence on the touch line,
you look lost and disinterested at times, you as a manager have to get the best out of the players we have, you knew what you were dealing with when you took the job

Time to say goodbye to Mr Sheridan, I would bring in the Cowley Brothers who know how to put spirit into a team, no passion at all in the team at present and the least they will do is change that!
Though I understand the logic behind your opinion Exiled, personally, I think that would be the wrong route.

Shouting at players to make them try harder may have short term gains, but I prefer a manager to have a little more finesse................... and his team to do more than run about a lot. (Sorry for the over simplistic characterisation).

Not sure who that would be, but it's always easier to say who it shouldn't be.
;)

I hope you're right but I've seen very little to suggest they have huge potential. When it's our youth players we tend to be rooting so hard for them to succeed we maybe over exaggerate their pluses and under play their negatives and see them through rose tinted glasses. I think we've had a bit of that this season.
See comment 3 posts above KDZ. It's all about ............................................................ timing.
;)

The Spanish group bidding to take control at Wigan Athletic say they've already offered John Sheridan the manager's job until the end of the season.

This does not bode well.

I get what you're trying to say but just look at some of the current players:
Massey - Paul Cook was able to get far more out of him against far better players than Chorley had today
Pearce - didn't play that much under Cook but again looked far batter against Championship players than he showed today against bottom of the National League North players
Garner - never been his biggest fan but one thing you couldn't accuse him of previously was a lack of fight. You could certainly accuse him of that today

And you really don't think that a manager cajoling his players and providing clear instructions at full time and mid way in extra time couldn't have got more out of those players than a manager stood around with his hands in his pockets and giving them absolutely Jack shit by way of motivation and instruction

I fully accept the limitations of our squad and you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear but you can at least make some sort of purse with it. John Sheridan on the other hand has managed to fashion some kind of manky tea bag.

And I've just watched the highlights of Arsenal playing like absolute dog turd today against Villa. The players were never at the races and made mistake after mistake from start to finish and do you know what Arteta said in his interview afterwards? He said "I take full responsibility for that performance."
He didn't hang some kid with less than 10 senior appearances out to dry or blame players he didn't have available. He took responsibility for his mistakes not like that coward Sheridan

I think much of the criticism Sheridan is getting is justified. But I think pointing the finger at the manager alone is letting 15 players off lightly for their part in that shambles. The manager ultimately carries the can but there is a certain level of performance you need regardless of if the manager is not up to much and that just wasn't there again. So many of the mistakes that cost us goals every game are down to the individual players dropping clangers - if you are a good or bad manager you can't legislate for the quantity of player mind numbing screw ups.

The players and manager aren't good enough. Not just the manager and nearly all of them will need replacing.