Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon | Page 39 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon

They were actually laughing at Smith on talksport cobblers when he said there was nothing in the first half.....apart from 3 saints goals and another that should have been 🤣. Deluded.

Which proves they didn't watch the game. Saints were on top but they weren't dominating.

Call me mad but I am watching a replay of the game as I've not much better to do. Taking all emotion out of it we were right in this game up to half time.

It's really interesting to watch it and listen to the commentators who are talking pure shite. The game was fairly even at 3-0, we had two good chances before they got their fourth. The commentator said we were dominated, we weren't we made some terrible defensive decisions and all 3 of them were punished.

I've been trying to find the half time stats because you'd think Southampton were up 60% in possession with the way they're going on. The best I could get was the Guardians HT notes below.

I am actually pissed off listening to the commentators because the picture they're is painting is not reality. At 3-0 the scoreline was baffling, when the 4th went in we were briefly all at sea and shell shocked. They literally said every time Southampton pass the halfway line they look like scoring but they didnt create any chances. We gift-wrapped them 4 opportunities.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2020/nov/01/aston-villa-southampton-premier-league-live

Half time: Aston Villa 0-3 James Ward-Prowse
Southampton are on their way to third place in the Premier League. James Ward-Prowse made the first goal for Jan Vestergaard and then scored two majestic free-kicks. The scoreline is harsh on Villa - it’s been a fairly even game - but Southampton have been merciless.

Which proves they didn't watch the game. Saints were on top but they weren't dominating.

I am watching it back here because the chats were getting so bleak I had to see for myself. Saints didn't create a single chance from open play in the first half, we actually did. Cash has been getting pelters but he actually only made two terrible individual mistakes, the second potentially being because he was booked.

The second half is virtually all us so far, the 4th goal is naturally due to us pushing so many forward.

I am watching it back here because the chats were getting so bleak I had to see for myself. Saints didn't create a single chance from open play in the first half, we actually did. Cash has been getting pelters but he actually only made two terrible individual mistakes, the second potentially being because he was booked.

The second half is virtually all us so far, the 4th goal is naturally due to us pushing so many forward.

Glad it's not just me mate, cheers lol

Cash's biggest error was the handball and I don't think it was deliberate either, he just panicked because nobody was backing him up and even Konsa had been pulled to the left (the less said about midfielders the better!).

Second half we could've had 9 - it doesn't absolve how bad we were but the overreaction annoys me.

Saints scored with every chance they had....we wasted twice as many easy chances over the game. But we were still awful lol

We have shipped 7 goals in 2 home games . And infact those 7 goals were effectively in just over 90 mins of playing time.

That is crap and unacceptable in my standards.

How have we played 2 games in 90 minutes my lovely Donkey?

I agree with the last sentence however, even if it's slightly economical.

And as I said yesterday post match. Yes , worldy free kicks etc. But for every worldly free kick and Ings or Bamford wonder strike there will be bad play leading up to it. Defensive errors, players not doing their jobs.

Luiz got wrong side for the first free kick give away.
Cash got caught ball watching and let his player drift away for the handball.
Cash was left 2 on 1 , again and Ings was left to run yards to get a shot off.

As for Bamfords , we could be here all night.

Last edited:
And as I said yesterday post match. Yes , worldy free kicks etc. But for every worldly free kick and Ings or Bamford wonder strike there will be bad play leading up to it. Defensive errors, players not doing their jobs.

Luiz got wrong side for the first free kick give away.
Cash got caught ball watching and let his player drift away.
Cash was left 2 on 1 , again and Ings was left to run yards to get a shot off.

As for Bamfords , we could be here all night.

I fully agree Melon, like the first goal, there was a foul throw in the phase of play but Targett shouldn't have had to resort to a last-ditch challenge and we get another chance to defend and its fucking McGinn marking a giant.

It's a calamity of individual errors because at the very least the two goals in the middle are positional errors. The only silver lining for the Southampton game is the heads didnt drop, they didnt react like they did against Leeds.

Just checking PMSL

And yes, I'm more concerned with Leeds than Saints personally but I'm also aware we were all on such a high to begin with...there was going to be a bottoming out.

And I definitely also agree on 'bad play' our side, we've begun gifting goals again rather than an opposition truly opening us up.

The worry post restart is the errors we plugged we've opened up because we won 4 and have become complacent.

Having the best chances of the first half yet falling seriously behind sounds just like last year. Which worries me. We have to stop accepting what might have been. We were 3-0 down at half time. That's what matters.

It's moot mate because we were already four goals down and it should have been five down - anything that happens after that is neither here nor there.

I hear the brilliant free kicks shout but that doesn't account for anything like 4-5 goals and it doesn't stop us from having brilliant free kicks either, except any dead-ball scenario, throw-ins included, seems to leave us stumped.
They weren't even brilliant free-kicks, they were the failure of the wall to do it's job. Both could have been blocked.

I’ve stayed off site a couple of games as some of the instant negativity towards Smith is just getting OTT. Leeds game, we were very Much in the match against a very good organised team, who play wonderfull football , a team that is the new press favourite club because of the way they play, we had plenty of chances before they score the first. The team that scored first you always felt would win it.
I couldn’t believe reading all the experts on here slamming Smith regards subs should of come on, who should of come on, players not good enough, the same team and tactics that had beat 4 other premier teams to take us to an incredible start to a season we were favourites to go down. It was just a bad 10 mins with 2 quick goals.
Southampton, another great team that have just turned over The top premier team Everton. Saints who were so far ahead of us last season , who score goals for fun against many teams come to Villa Park, another tough match. Terrible first half as we can’t stop set piece play and crash and burn. .Early second half goal to kill us off but that was an incredible second half for us with so many chances made, just as good, if not better than the first 4 games. Another 2 minutes and we would have drawn that game as saints were gone. Even their manager has come out and praised us for that second half.
we are not going to win every game as some seem to think on here, we have been equal, better than 6 good teams Thus far. Our squad depth like all but 3 premier teams is average at best with sadly no game changers like some believe.
Our first 11 are still getting used to playing with each other, again many new faces, so our start has been a bonus. Some Of the comments towards some of the players and Smith during and after the last 2 games has been crazy, considering the incredible start .
Judge the man at least after 10 games or by Christmas not after losing 2 games.

I think if you read the negativity in the comments CDX you'll see that most is aimed at the appalling defending, ludicrous assignments at set-pieces, failure of Mings to even attempt to block anything, acres of space afforded to Adams on the disallowed effort etc etc. Those things are what lost us the game and are fundamentals and all part of the game. If we keep conceding like that we will keep losing. Really doesn't matter how many chances we create....
If anything, the fact that Southampton were incapable of creating chances and yet still scored 4(5) goals demonstrates the point that we got well beaten by a poor team.

That is true however the crusade against Dean is back at 10 mins to midnight on the Aston Villa Doomsday Clock. Overall I think the comments are reasonably grounded but there was a little bit of an overreaction. I think individual errors are being conflated with an overall perception that the entire performance was diabolical.

Matty Cash is being totally written off for example. He was ran ragged against Leeds but he wasn't at the weekend he just made two mistakes that led to goals. The second error may not have happened had he not got himself booked for his first error.

Southampton aren't a poor team though, they're solid and workmanlike with a match-winner in Ings. They certainly do look a shadow of themselves without Ings. Not unlike us without Grealish.

That is true however the crusade against Dean is back at 10 mins to midnight on the Aston Villa Doomsday Clock. Overall I think the comments are reasonably grounded but there was a little bit of an overreaction. I think individual errors are being conflated with an overall perception that the entire performance was diabolical.

Matty Cash is being totally written off for example. He was ran ragged against Leeds but he wasn't at the weekend he just made two mistakes that led to goals. The second error may not have happened had he not got himself booked for his first error.

Southampton aren't a poor team though, they're solid and workmanlike with a match-winner in Ings. They certainly do look a shadow of themselves without Ings. Not unlike us without Grealish.
For me I'm not saying Smith should go, but I really do wish he'd learn from his mistakes. It's so infuriating to see Southampton's first goal when we saw that same thing happening last season - opposition centre-backs being marked by small midfielders while both of ours are marking nobody at all. We may as well play two 5'9" centre-backs if they aren't going to be required to be competing in the air inside our own box. And by the same token, we've all seen time and time again Mings flatly refusing to put his body on the line and do basic defending, yet he is still in the walls, still the deepest defender and there is no tangible evidence that he is working on improving that critically important, yet so simple, aspect of being a defender.
My statement on Southampton being a poor team was more of a tongue-in-cheek reaction to the fact that it was pointed out that they didn't create any chances. They are a decent team if you let them be decent. They have match winners in Ings and Prowse. We let them utilize those two far too easily.

I've been thinking about what would have happened last season if we'd been 4-0 down with half an hour to go.
I suspect we'd have folded.
So, it was not a good result but I think we're a better team than we were then.

I’ve stayed off site a couple of games as some of the instant negativity towards Smith is just getting OTT. Leeds game, we were very Much in the match against a very good organised team, who play wonderfull football , a team that is the new press favourite club because of the way they play, we had plenty of chances before they score the first. The team that scored first you always felt would win it.
I couldn’t believe reading all the experts on here slamming Smith regards subs should of come on, who should of come on, players not good enough, the same team and tactics that had beat 4 other premier teams to take us to an incredible start to a season we were favourites to go down. It was just a bad 10 mins with 2 quick goals.
Southampton, another great team that have just turned over The top premier team Everton. Saints who were so far ahead of us last season , who score goals for fun against many teams come to Villa Park, another tough match. Terrible first half as we can’t stop set piece play and crash and burn. .Early second half goal to kill us off but that was an incredible second half for us with so many chances made, just as good, if not better than the first 4 games. Another 2 minutes and we would have drawn that game as saints were gone. Even their manager has come out and praised us for that second half.
we are not going to win every game as some seem to think on here, we have been equal, better than 6 good teams Thus far. Our squad depth like all but 3 premier teams is average at best with sadly no game changers like some believe.
Our first 11 are still getting used to playing with each other, again many new faces, so our start has been a bonus. Some Of the comments towards some of the players and Smith during and after the last 2 games has been crazy, considering the incredible start .
Judge the man at least after 10 games or by Christmas not after losing 2 games.
I hear you, but are you not slightly alarmed about seeing your team go 4-0 down after 60mins?