Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon | Page 24 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Southampton Thread - 1st Nov - 12 noon

Just not having it that we buy strikers and then play them wrong.

Not completely dismissing it but if you are true quality then you make your own chances you create something , you change the game by yourself.

We keep buying the wrong level and get sucked into unsubstiated hype. Hogan, another flash in the pan hyped up over one season.

Watkins' passivity and lack of aggression is worrying. Yes the service is appalling but he should be doing more.

We are looking like pussies all over the pitch - we all said it but we needed a few experienced "up for it" players time time around ...

If Smith talks up how they scored three great goals and how we had chances in the second half then he'll be missing the point of what has been a largely feckless display lacking aggression and tempo.

We have not learned from our mistakes against Leeds at all.

Back to the drawing board and post lockdown tactics is required. Tighten up the defence and grind out a few results.

This is what worries me. They say he had time to have a good look and talk with players, get things back on track. That should have been being done throughout the season before lockdown.

And although I VERY much appreciate the results and staying up (thanks to VAR as well remember) I didn't think it was our genius, I just thought we had more to play for and the other teams seemed to be on the beach, not at the races. That isn't to totally dismiss us, because we were at the races.

But it didn't look like genius to me, genius would have been doing such things before the break.

I'll quote Smith now: "like the Leeds game, it's just a bad 40 mins of football, I've said time and time again, we wont get to high and we won't get too low."

The wins against Liverpool and Leicester gave a totally false impression of this team. We were bang average against Sheffield and Fulham despite winning both. The Fulham game was an interesting one as we conceded so many crosses and were lucky that they couldn't finish.