Lamela, surplus to requirements? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Lamela, surplus to requirements?

I want him to stay as i think he is better than berg and lucas. I hope he goes because Jose is not giving him the game time he deserves. Know matter what you say today he came on and the game changed. He needs to go for his own good. Signing Bale is going to piss off berg,Lucas and Lamela because they now know that even if they train well and play wc when given time they will always be subs.

I don't think Bergy will be annoyed. He will still get plenty of game time.

I couldn't careless if Lamela and Lucas are pissed. They have had their chance and neither have stepped up to the plate on a regular basis.

I don't think Bergy will be annoyed. He will still get plenty of game time.

I couldn't careless if Lamela and Lucas are pissed. They have had their chance and neither have stepped up to the plate on a regular basis.

Good players tend to become better players when a great player is in the side, as they free up space by drawing defenders out of position, so for me, it will be all about how Jose uses Bale - the one thing for certain, having some depth to our squad and players being properly rotated has been a very very very long time coming.

All performances will soon see the benefit of that when everyone is fit.

It's worth noting (even though no player has frustrated me as much as he) that in the seven seasons with us, he's never been sent off - which when I watch his game seems almost miraculous to me at times...

and secondly credit where credit is due - he was on for 33 mins against Burnley and was our top creator with two chances...

AS others have said he is our last hope 15-30 mins man that Jose turns to dig us out of trouble!!

Never thought I'd see myself typing that.

I am told that much of this transformation is because a certain newish member of our coaching staff has flippantly quipped " that's because he's never been fit before.."

Last edited:
I like the lad...yes he holds the ball too long and runs into blind alleys but he raises the tempo of the team when he comes on and does create opportunities for others...plus he tracks back, wins the ball and moves forward, a strange direction of to our MF players with the exception of ND...definitely a great closer to have from the bench.

For much of his time at Spurs I've just wanted the Club to move him out, it really used to anger me when Poch consistently selected him ahead of Son. I must say though that in recent months he has won me over, and that wasn't easy. I still don't see him as a player who merits an automatic place in the starting line up, if for no other reason that his constant niggling and sometimes irresponsible challenges on the pitch will always make him a red card candidate. Unquestionably though he consistently gives the team tempo a lift when he comes on as a substitute. He certainly comes across these days as a committed Club man, but then maybe he should, he's been well looked after.

I read an article about Lamela today where they mentioned that he'd been booked over 3o times for Spurs but never sent off, so I can't agree that he's a red card waiting to happen. This article concluded that he knows exactly what he is doing which is why Jose loves him.

He's an argie, they're all like it. You can even see Lo Celso has it in him, very clever in the way they play.

You are correct Sir, Lamela is a late game changer. And valuable as such.

Dele may need to grow up, but rather he come good at Spurs, than be giving one of our best players to RM because Jose can't handle him.

Everyone's digging on Dele, and giving Jose a pass. Sorry, but this shit goes both ways, and given the choice, right now, I'd keep Dele and sack Jose.

One is currently MUCH easier to replace than the other. I can think of 5 other coaches I'd be happy to see as our guy. Not coming up with too many players than have what Dele brings when he's fit, and on his game.

Maybe that'll change, maybe Jose will bring the kind of success fans want, but until he does something other than the shit on display we've seen so far, I'm on Dele's side.

When management changes in any situation there are always one or two people that don't fit together.

He has the ability to unrest the opposition. I truly believe that is why he is better at coming on a sub than starting. When everyone is fresh he does the same thing but it has less impact. When opposition is tiring, he is able to be creative, it disturbs me that others dont see the way he forces things with quick, risky play. But the difference is that he can also recover those risky moves and be biting at everyones heels. It makes the opposition uneasy. It makes them make mistakes and it opens oppertunities for others like Kane and Son to do what they do best. Its not all down to making the slide rule pass. Often it is making the opposition hurry their passes and that makes gaps for others.

He is spurs through and through. He will hurt himself for the cause and he will not let anyone take a liberty with the team/club. There are players at other clubs who have legend status due to supersub status. I just hope we as a club succeed enugh for him to possibly get something like this.

He has the ability to unrest the opposition. I truly believe that is why he is better at coming on a sub than starting. When everyone is fresh he does the same thing but it has less impact. When opposition is tiring, he is able to be creative, it disturbs me that others dont see the way he forces things with quick, risky play. But the difference is that he can also recover those risky moves and be biting at everyones heels. It makes the opposition uneasy. It makes them make mistakes and it opens oppertunities for others like Kane and Son to do what they do best. Its not all down to making the slide rule pass. Often it is making the opposition hurry their passes and that makes gaps for others.

He is spurs through and through. He will hurt himself for the cause and he will not let anyone take a liberty with the team/club. There are players at other clubs who have legend status due to supersub status. I just hope we as a club succeed enugh for him to possibly get something like this.
Excellently put👍

I was a big fan of him originally signing, watched him embarrass others with Totti, couldn't wait to see him at Spurs.

Really unfortunate arriving broken, all the mechanical issues resulting, looked half the player he was physically. Can't imagine the mental toll that takes on a guy. All thru it, always played with passion and you never questioned his desire. Flashes of it at times, rarely.

Really frustrates me to see players used in positions, or in situations, that just don't play to their best strengths. Personally, I always start there, and then adapt the player from their most confident place. I don;t think he's been given that advantage.

If he's gonna be in your starting XI, then he is a Second Striker. He plays off the Center Forward. His most dangerous touches are within the penalty area. He is tricky, and aware in the trash, and can both pick the pass or finish, with a CF to play off of.

He's a devastating 'impact sub'. What a nightmare for opponents after an hour or so. In this role, give him more freedom across the front line, and as long as his teammates are mobile, he will literally win matches. However, if his mates are static, and the pinball isn't there for him, he'll go it alone and dribble to nowhere.

If any player could benefit from a bit more ambidexterity...

Not rocket science.

Until we have a better option, I'd employ him as a sub, and let him wreak havoc.

Certainly wouldn't be 1st on my list of "outs".

I was a big fan of him originally signing, watched him embarrass others with Totti, couldn't wait to see him at Spurs.

Really unfortunate arriving broken, all the mechanical issues resulting, looked half the player he was physically. Can't imagine the mental toll that takes on a guy. All thru it, always played with passion and you never questioned his desire. Flashes of it at times, rarely.

Really frustrates me to see players used in positions, or in situations, that just don't play to their best strengths. Personally, I always start there, and then adapt the player from their most confident place. I don;t think he's been given that advantage.

If he's gonna be in your starting XI, then he is a Second Striker. He plays off the Center Forward. His most dangerous touches are within the penalty area. He is tricky, and aware in the trash, and can both pick the pass or finish, with a CF to play off of.

He's a devastating 'impact sub'. What a nightmare for opponents after an hour or so. In this role, give him more freedom across the front line, and as long as his teammates are mobile, he will literally win matches. However, if his mates are static, and the pinball isn't there for him, he'll go it alone and dribble to nowhere.

If any player could benefit from a bit more ambidexterity...

Not rocket science.

Until we have a better option, I'd employ him as a sub, and let him wreak havoc.

Certainly wouldn't be 1st on my list of "outs".

Interesting summary, years ago I suggested he was too good for the players he had around him which made him look average.

I'm struggling with Lamela. I've lost count of the amount of times we've needed him as cover for an injury or suspension and he's been injured himself. I've also lost count of the times he's been selfish and run into brick walls. Why I'm struggling is that he's such a likeable guy and its not as if he gets crocked deliberately. I mostly like what I see when he is on the pitch, just like the period he is in at the moment. I don't like the selfish stuff and some poor decisions he makes in possession though.

I'd love to know whether Dele makes a good sub and have a hunch he would also be brilliant at it. He's always likely to score or assist. He also goes hunting for the ball everywhere and can get a lot of touches and passes in. He is also so good at creating space for others and upsetting the pattern that has been set in the opposition shape. Very similar to Lamela in that respect.

I'm struggling with Lamela. I've lost count of the amount of times we've needed him as cover for an injury or suspension and he's been injured himself. I've also lost count of the times he's been selfish and run into brick walls. Why I'm struggling is that he's such a likeable guy and its not as if he gets crocked deliberately. I mostly like what I see when he is on the pitch, just like the period he is in at the moment. I don't like the selfish stuff and some poor decisions he makes in possession though.

I'd love to know whether Dele makes a good sub and have a hunch he would also be brilliant at it. He's always likely to score or assist. He also goes hunting for the ball everywhere and can get a lot of touches and passes in. He is also so good at creating space for others and upsetting the pattern that has been set in the opposition shape. Very similar to Lamela in that respect.
Agree with this but find it quite sad that we should be talking about Dele's merits as a substitute. Don't think he'd like it much either.

Agree with this but find it quite sad that we should be talking about Dele's merits as a substitute. Don't think he'd like it much either.

True - but the bench is the way back into the line-up for most players. It's what Gio and Bale are being afforded by their manager.

Every club needs a super sub. A player that can change the entire dynamic of our play and give us the shot in the arm we often need.

To give his guts at training only to sit on the bench and watch takes great character. Then when asked to go out and make a difference, he gives his guts again, and again.

Ask yourself who else would you rather have come on with 25 mins to go? Who else has Spurs running through his veins? Who else will try the impossible? Who else can provide that deft touch?

His style of play lends itself to coming on with fresh legs and doing his thing whilst others are tiring. Problem is, when our players also tire, their off the ball movement which Lamela is looking for to make that pass, is poor, hence he has no options, which brings about the "running down a dead end" philosophy.

Everywhere you go, always take Lamela with you.:guitar::nopity:

I think the difference here is that Dele's issues seem to be off the pitch problems (looking from the outside). He was was in the starting eleven for Everton and in the pre-season friendlies. His footballing capabilities didn't deteriorate overnight.

Something seems to have happened after his substitution against Everton. Did he overreact to the substitution? Did he cross the line in his reaction, possibly in front of the other players? Jose's bullying reputation precedes him but there's a way of doing things if you're unhappy as a player. Maybe Dele's response in training hasn't been good enough?

From the outside it's very difficult to draw firm conclusions either way. But on footballing ability alone he would be closer to the first eleven than he currently is.

Brilliant post , fully agree . I said the same on another thread but not as well as you have just put it LH