Match Thread: Crewe Alexandra v Lincoln City | Page 22 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Crewe Alexandra v Lincoln City

Not much more to add to what others have said.

I noticed (unless it was my imagination) that after Edun missed that header in the first half when the ball went over his head Hopper was back in the left back position to help him out with a couple of headers away. After we reduced Crewe to just lumping the ball in the box for the last 20 minutes I did wonder whether Roughan might come on a left back, but Edun did pretty well.

After Montsma I thought McGrandles was our best player. A little disappointed in Jones overall, but in the second half he was having to do a lot more defending.

I hope we learn lessons tonight, more clinical in front of goal. Can't have many nervy endings like that. If it wasn't for Harry's goal it could easily have been a draw or even a defeat. Small margins.

it worked, but really don't like to see that sitting back. we invited pressure, and crewe were more than happy to oblige, having not had a kick for 60 minutes.
and considering we are trying to rotate the squad, it was a surprise no subs were used. presuming that gotts is not up to speed yet, but surely scully could have come on to give johnson a rest.
another big effort required on saturday. we are certainly building up quite a nice nestegg of points. uti.

Monstma was a different class tonight. In defence he dominated everything but the range of passing in the first 60 minutes was "Gerrardesque" at his peak.

Harry Anderson is also a much improved player this season. He used to run into cul de sacs and quite often either leave the ball behind or his runs ended in goal kicks. Now when he gets the balls it always ends up with a reward, be it a corner a cross, key pass or goal.

Completely agree about Harry. He's getting his head up more and actually looking for a pass rather than running with the ball with his eyes firmly locked towards the ground. Keep it up Harry!

The big boys are starting to kick in now - Portsmouth, Charlton, along with Hull, Sunderland and Ipswich in and around it already.

Great to be in amongst it, even if it only turns out to be for part of the season.

The big boys are starting to kick in now - Portsmouth, Charlton, along with Hull, Sunderland and Ipswich in and around it already.

Great to be in amongst it, even if it only turns out to be for part of the season.
Not sure that there are any Big Boys in this league, to be honest. Its an incredibly open and competitive league. There are a number of ex Big Boys however.