Real talk | Page 3 | Vital Football

Real talk

So refreshing to see fans calling for a manager to be sacked, as a change from the knee-jerk reaction that has seen us keep managers over the past fruitful decades.

SL hasn't had a chance yet with this bunch of players. I didn't see the game but have read all I can get my hands on and the general opinion, not including this thread, is that we did well in the second half and were unlucky not to share the points. And that's the point of view that I share.
It looks to me as though there's too many of you who are too quick to put the boot in, at least be prepared to give the coach a chance with what constitutes a new team, another 6 or 7 games might even be enough.

SL hasn't had a chance yet with this bunch of players. I didn't see the game but have read all I can get my hands on and the general opinion, not including this thread, is that we did well in the second half and were unlucky not to share the points. And that's the point of view that I share.
It looks to me as though there's too many of you who are too quick to put the boot in, at least be prepared to give the coach a chance with what constitutes a new team, another 6 or 7 games might even be enough.
We have lost seven straight games and scored in two of those.

In the process, we have shed every semblance of any style of play, let alone the style that actually allowed us to win.

No bloody good playing well when you are already losing and the opposition can just sit on it

And then he makes his substitutions and we lost almost all that good impetus because he brought on a defensive midfielder and one of the worst players to sign for the club in years

You are literally the only person on this forum with any chance of remembering a start as bad as this; we are talking 1954. There is no-one left in my family who was alive then

Last edited:
I think it's toxic the way the club is run. The last two years we have been near play offs, both times just need two or three players to add more quality, and instead we get a whole new team, bloated squad and chaos. Of the 300 players to have played for us in that time how many have left and gone on to glittering careers elsewhere? Sums up the poor poor recruitment. SL still had to go. Never picks the same team twice, can only play one way, it's pure 100% monkey tennis!

The man is breaking all sorts of records. Not good ones! We have scored one goal in 4 league games and 1 cup game.

Failed to score in friendlies too except for WBA.

Time for what exactly? Feels like there is a lot wrong at the club at the moment

I think it's toxic the way the club is run. The last two years we have been near play offs, both times just need two or three players to add more quality, and instead we get a whole new team, bloated squad and chaos. Of the 300 players to have played for us in that time how many have left and gone on to glittering careers elsewhere? Sums up the poor poor recruitment. SL still had to go. Never picks the same team twice, can only play one way, it's pure 100% monkey tennis!
He can only play one way and has somehow jettisoned the ability to even play that way

The last two defensive set ups also tell you everything you need to know when we have Dawson and other options available. Amateur hour to put out four new players who have never played together. MBE Soh looks a prospect but he must wonder what's going on.

It's a good job my family still puts up with me, and Popey, you're right, I've seen plenty of bad times and not too many good ones either but like all of us I live in hope. And I intend at the moment to concentrate on the here and now, not related to anything prior to the arrival of the latest bunch of new boys. Before clocking onto the Vital game thread I read everything I could find, BBC, computer bits and pieces, papers, all I could find, and came to the conclusion that SL had not made the best of the first half but had redeemed himself to some extent in the second, enough to make me think that he still had something to offer. And then I started to read our match thread, which turned out to be much as I expected - dismal. It's possible that I may join the majority at some time in the future but not until our coach has had a real chance with a reasonable side which is only just starting to gell.

I'm waiting for CP to produce his usual (and always welcome) thread featuring the opposition fans views, should be interesting.

The accusation that we just keep sacking managers and that the turnover is to high is valid. However, the answer to this isn't to persevere with one that is so obviously not taking us in the right direction, and the next appointment has to be a good one.
I can take not making the playoffs this season, as long as I can see that the club is progressing. Must get it right next time.

The Sunday Mirror are reporting that Watford & Nottingham Forest are interested in signing Newcastle United winger Christian Atsu.

Sometimes you can’t win. At the end of last season many on here were clamouring for more squad depth, more strikers, replacement of older players and either bringing in cheap players or if investing, invest in players who are likely to add value. Add in to this that we were likely to lose a couple of players to premier league.

We sell Cash and have to replace, but also we invest on two CB’s, who could add significant value. We also improve depth of squad. The all have to play a few games, even if they are likely to be squad players as when league restarts in mid Oct they come thick and fast.

If players play like strangers, it is because they are. This will change with time and games. They will improve. Each game they have improved.

Voices on here shouted for changes then complain when changes don’t produce instant results. The squad, the team are moving in the right direction.

Sometimes you can’t win. At the end of last season many on here were clamouring for more squad depth, more strikers, replacement of older players and either bringing in cheap players or if investing, invest in players who are likely to add value. Add in to this that we were likely to lose a couple of players to premier league.

We sell Cash and have to replace, but also we invest on two CB’s, who could add significant value. We also improve depth of squad. The all have to play a few games, even if they are likely to be squad players as when league restarts in mid Oct they come thick and fast.

If players play like strangers, it is because they are. This will change with time and games. They will improve. Each game they have improved.

Voices on here shouted for changes then complain when changes don’t produce instant results. The squad, the team are moving in the right direction.
I agree in general. Not sure on the manager though, he has a very steep hole to climb out of (which he dug for himself last season) the performances this season have improved significantly in my opinion and we are very unlucky to be in the "pointless" position we are in. Can't see it being sustainable for Sabri for much longer if I'm being honest.

Are they though? On the basis of teams comfortably getting ahead of us and then shutting up shop. If we had gone away to Bristol City, strolled into a 2 goal lead then we would instantly have pulled everyone behind the ball and said job done. Which is exactly what happened yesterday.

Actually we would have done it at 1-0 up...

I agree we played better than we have once they did that but right now we've no way of knowing how much of that was due to City dropping off.

Yesterday could be encouraging or it could be more of the same shite we've had for months.

I’d stick with SL and see what he can do to try and gel the team over the international break. From the radio commentary, the second half didn’t sound like the kind of clueless performance we’ve had when other managers are on the way out. However I realise that’s a minority opinion now and it’s getting harder and harder to justify not making a change.
You can't expect to bed in all these new players and expect results straight away. But I'm worried about things that're happening behind the scenes.

I know I will get abuse for this

But we have to stop buying heaps of shit and focus on a few quality players

It costs money but we keep wasting money on wages and players

If we had just targeted a 4 or 5 decent players of the last 3 transfer windows

And attacking players at that

We may well be in a different situation

Just look at what we have purchased this year 3 - 4 really decent players and 7 possibly shite

I know I will get abuse for this

But we have to stop buying heaps of shit and focus on a few quality players

It costs money but we keep wasting money on wages and players

If we had just targeted a 4 or 5 decent players of the last 3 transfer windows

And attacking players at that

We may well be in a different situation

Just look at what we have purchased this year 3 - 4 really decent players and 7 possibly shite

Bang on

Also lee Westwood response to arters comments

Lee Westwood

@WestwoodLee

Replying to
@NFFC
When he says take responsibility he must mean the preparation is not right or they’ve not been giving it 100%. All sportsmen can do is prepare correctly and give it everything. After that it’s uncontrollable and full of variables. Control the controllable. That is my advice.