Friendlies | Page 10 | Vital Football

Friendlies

Dont know if this is old news but the Manchester Evening News reporting that Villa didnt really win, and the score given to the press was incorrect.
Goal - Villa 1-0 United (Watkins, 16')
A lovely flick by Ighalo set Rashford off and running and United were virtually clean through. Rashford found James and there were strong appeals for a penalty.
At the other end, Watkins nods home a header to put the hosts 1-0 in front.
Interestingly, the goal comes in the 16th minute, not the 38th minute, which was widely reported and recirculated earlier in the day. Perhaps another indicator that the final score might not have been 1-0 to Villa after all.

I was really optimistic yesterday with the result but having just watched the extended highlights on youtube , I'm preparing for another long hard season.
I know they were biased towards Man utd and if that was a true reflection on the game nothing seems to have been learnt.

Jack stuck out wide and i honestly thought Freddie was right back with the amount of ball being allowed to come in from the left unchallenged.

Seeing Hourihane and Trez starting deflated me as neither should be anywhere near the first 11

We need a couple of quality players in there because another season of Jack playing left-back and even I think he'll be gone.

Yes I do get it was only a friendly but yesterday I was using the result to feel positive and now having actually seen some of it it's floored me again

Yup, same here mate - what's so frustrating is that, funds allowing, it looks so easy to resolve.

I like Trez a lot but he simply does not have the composure/ability to keep the ball well enough at this level and Hourihane, top bloke and all that but he offers nothing all game, either offensively or defensively, and he's certainly not a ballwinner like SJM and Luis are.

Replace with the likes of Buendia (possession/dribbling/passing) and King (physical presence/pace) and I think we'd look a totally different proposition - I can't believe that DS/other people can't see this, it's so stark.

Re highlights vs live, we were very dominant in the second half, I can't remember Utd getting a single chance but they had plenty in the first half. Jack's possession in good positions in the second half I mentioned last night was very much more central than left wing.

As things stand, and coming back to it with fresh eyes after a break, it's just so very clear to see that our setup simply does not work, as evidenced so very often last season.

I'm sure it could work but any system can be made or broken by the performance of just one or two players and it's not rocket science to see where our two weakest links are.

So can anyone who actually watched it confirm if we won?

LOL - yes it was 1-0 to us mate, they had some good chances in the first half, two great saves from Steer, and a couple of goalmouth scrambles when they were on top and we, again, looked susceptible to a counterattack but in the second half it was mostly all us and I don't remember them getting a sniff at our goal.

LOL - yes it was 1-0 to us mate, they had some good chances in the first half, two great saves from Steer, and a couple of goalmouth scrambles when they were on top and we, again, looked susceptible to a counterattack but in the second half it was mostly all us and I don't remember them getting a sniff at our goal.

what subs came on if any?

what subs came on if any?

As posted, Samatta for Watkins after 65 minutes, then Jota for someone else after 70.

IIRC, the game seemed to turn around for us when Oli put on a bruiser in CM to challenge Jack and SJM but he just kept giving free kicks away rather than actually winning possession.

As posted, Samatta for Watkins after 65 minutes, then Jota for someone else after 70.

IIRC, the game seemed to turn around for us when Oli put on a bruiser in CM to challenge Jack and SJM but he just kept giving free kicks away rather than actually winning possession.

I think Elmohamady came on for Cash.

Anyway I'm doing my best to convince myself it was only a friendly and by the time it all gets serious we will have a front 3 without Jack playing wide left, it's not quite working though

..there were strong appeals for a penalty.”
Never! Surely if Man.United appealed for a penalty it was given.

For anyone who couldn't cope with the vast amounts of detail on our OS's match report (sic) about the game, MUFC have shown how to do it.

MATCH DETAILS
Aston Villa:
Steer; Cash (Elmohamady 71), Konsa, Mings, Targett; Hourihane, Luiz, McGinn; Trezeguet (Jota 76), Watkins (Samatta 66), Grealish.

Substitutes not used: Nyland, Sinisalo, Taylor, Lansbury, Nkamba, El Ghazi, Guilbert, Hause, Ramsey, Davis.

Scorer: Watkins 16.

Booked: Cash 55.

United: Henderson (Grant 75); Dalot (Williams 70), Fosu-Mensah, Maguire, Shaw; McTominay (Galbraith 45), van de Beek, Lingard, Rashford (Elanga 75), James; Ighalo (Mengi 61).

Booked: Lingard 56.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/aston-villa-v-man-utd-friendly-match-report-12-september

I watched the highlights on U Tube. I don’t know who edited the clip but, apart from Watkins’ goal we didn’t feature much except in defence. Our first choice midfield seemed to be dominated by Man. U. Based on what I saw, and I know it was only “highlights”, I’d say we need a solid, hard tackling midfielder to give some security to the defence.

I watched the highlights on U Tube. I don’t know who edited the clip but, apart from Watkins’ goal we didn’t feature much except in defence. Our first choice midfield seemed to be dominated by Man. U. Based on what I saw, and I know it was only “highlights”, I’d say we need a solid, hard tackling midfielder to give some security to the defence.

Just been watching it, until I couldn't stand Woodward any more (finally managed to get it to work, after last night's failure) . Thought Luiz did the solid hard-tackling midfielder bit very well.

Re the new recruits, thought Watkins settled in straight away. He looks the part, even at this level. Also, that quick build up to the goal was what we weren't doing last season. We're improving.

Thought Cash needs time to settle. He was passed a bit too easily. Don't think Guilbert would have been.