The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 237 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

Villareport on Twitter - "Aston Villa have returned with a £21m offer for Callum Wilson, but the player wants to join Newcastle"

If true, I feel we need to move off this fixation and start focusing on other signings. He aint worth 20M+ in my opinion. He has done nothing spectacular of late, he is 28 yrs old(looking for his last big pay day) and injury prone.

There must be other targets out there that our scouts have spotted.

maybe Andy Carroll has swayed him with talk of how good the treatment room is

thought it was £17 mill they wanted for the 8 goal a season hitman yesterday
meh

According to Sky Wilson says that he prefers a move to Newcastle.
He can bugger off then.

Only reason I can think of is that we are also looking at Watkins and the only competition he'd have at Newcastle is Joelinton. If he doesn't want to play for us then he can fuck off.

Meanwhile for the price we are alledgedly bidding for a striker who in 5 premier league seasons has scored more than 8 goals only once Everton sign a Brazilian international midfielder who is a year older and has played over 200 times for Napoli. And they will be buying a beast in Dacoure aswell.

Looks to me like we are not looking for the next level and experience I had hoped. Playing with fire again. Hope they were not blinded by the 4 games at the end of the season and think we have cracked it. We haven't.

Not long to find out but if Wilson and Watkins are added to Cash then that doesn't leave much room to buy the at least 3 proven and experienced players i .think we needed .

This smells like last summer all over again.

Only reason I can think of is that we are also looking at Watkins and the only competition he'd have at Newcastle is Joelinton. If he doesn't want to play for us then he can fuck off.

You would think we had spoken to his agent and got feel for whether he would be interested or not before making any offer.

I'm not so keen on Wilson... at 17m yeah but a bidding war with Newcastle (if we believe it to be true)? Is he actually that good?

He's a Cov fan isn't he? If he doesn't really want to come I'd move on. When you see players like Cash come in who are clearly hungry and actually want to be here, I don't want us signing players who don't really want to be here.

All conjecture of course.

If Wilson was a couple years younger and didn't have dodgy knees maybe I'd think differently.

Is he better than who we've got already? You'd have to say yes looking at his overall stats. But last season he wasn't very good.

Apparently it's Lee Ryder, the Geordie journalist who has claimed Wilson prefers a move to Newcastle.

Last thing I read of his was a ridiculous obituary after Newcastle were relegated at Villa Park.

They think it's everyone's dream to play for Newcastle.

Looks to me like we are not looking for the next level and experience I had hoped.

This smells like last summer all over again.

This.

Still hoping to be proven wrong, as are you. But we were hoping that last summer and last season as well, and no matter what anyone says who was satisfied with scraping survival, we were right, as it wasn't the stated aim at all and we weren't set up right.

Carry on the way we are and it's easy to see that we are one of the favourites for relegation. This window should have been a simple one in buying around 4 players that are better than what we have in the positions where we are weak.
Instead, it appears that we are doing what we did last season in taking risks on unproven players from leagues below the PL in quality.
I don't believe the task was an impossible one but I do believe that the people tasked with the job are totally incompetent in doing this simple task.
They are all probably too busy patting each other on the back for such a great job they did last season.

Surely with a lack of pre season for any new signings it would make a lot more sense to just go with Ollie Watkins and Said Benrahma and try and call it 45m for both ? With both players preferring to play at the same club as each other.

I believe with a quality winger in Benrahma it will take the pressure off Grealish who feels like he needs to carry Villa, which will then open up more chances for the team, and if the likes of Arsenal are interested surely he's good enough for us.

Darren Bent has also said Villa need to get rid of Matt Targett and get someone else in as he looks too weak, who agrees ?

I work with a Wet Spam fan and he says exactly the same about our fans after an away game experience at villa park.

:hug:

We do have our fair share, especially in that corner by the away fans.

I’ve done Upton Park a couple of times, agree with the comments about their fans they all seem to turn into green street wannabes on a match day even though I suspect most of them are middle class Essex wankers but I did quite enjoy the atmosphere there in that dark and dingy away end.

Trying to get back central any other way than the tube was an interesting experience though 😬

Surely with a lack of pre season for any new signings it would make a lot more sense to just go with Ollie Watkins and Said Benrahma and try and call it 45m for both ? With both players preferring to play at the same club as each other.

I believe with a quality winger in Benrahma it will take the pressure off Grealish who feels like he needs to carry Villa, which will then open up more chances for the team, and if the likes of Arsenal are interested surely he's good enough for us.

Darren Bent has also said Villa need to get rid of Matt Targett and get someone else in as he looks too weak, who agrees ?
Matt is a decent enough player but not a Premier league full back. Links well with Connor and Jack, looks a better wide left prospect than any of Anwar,Trez or Jota.

Where is the tough, big player in the middle we need to add to a light midfield?

Where is a new winger as Trezeguet and El Ghazi are too inconsistent and disappear during games (Particularly El Ghazi when the going gets tough)

Who, when will we see a new forward?

Typical transfer window at the Villa with more questions than answers and leaving what may happen rather late?

The clock is ticking.

This.

Still hoping to be proven wrong, as are you. But we were hoping that last summer and last season as well, and no matter what anyone says who was satisfied with scraping survival, we were right, as it wasn't the stated aim at all and we weren't set up right.
Well there is a way to go yet, so saying nothing, however we got a get out of jail card last season and if we dont learn from that and dont get in any proven Prem players I will feel very let down, and we will get everything we deserve.
No substitute for experience.

I can't understand why we are quibbling over a few million on players as has been reported. If the club want to sign Wilson from Bournmouth then just get the damn deal done. They want £15m we offer £12m, just pay the money and have done. If we are to believe reports that Brentford have dropped the price of Benrahma to £20m, the fact we have been chasing him for over a year, why drag our heels? If the club, well Smith, is that keen to have him, hand over the dosh, get him in and get him on the training ground, and stop pissing around. The trouble with our club is they fanny around haggling over a couple of million pounds, which is nothing in today's transfer dealings, and then lose out instead of just going out to get a player.
Or perhaps the trouble is believing what the rumour-mill has to say?