Donation analysis | Vital Football

Donation analysis

Arthur_Itis

Vital Squad Member
Seeing as my insomnia is running amok and as I'm fed up of with reading all the ups and downs of the takeover saga I thought I'd spend (what turned out to be a stupid amount of) time analysing where the "non-latics fans" donations have come from.

This is based on the donations I've been able to reasonably allocated to a club, based on the messages of support, there are loads more that are clearly not from Wigan fans, but I didn't have enough info to assign them to any particular clun.

I already suspected this put take a bow Charlton, absolute legends. This sort of support and solidarity will not be forgotten for generations.
Hats off as well to Fulham and Leeds as a whole and to some very hefty single pledges from individuals (Man City, Hamilton Accies, Spurs, Philadelphia Eagles !!!).

Makes you prod to be a part of the football community.

Disclaimer, These are the figures as at about 03:50 this morning, I don't claim they are exact, I'm bound to have made some mistakes, but I think it provides a reasonable representation.

Thank you to each and every person who has donated, no matter how large or small, We salute you.

Please don't be negative about any of the numbers, these are the peoplewho've actually made the effort to support us.

Sorry about the formatting, best I could manage.

Club #donations £value £average
Charlton _____________50 £845 16.90
Fulham _____________ 25 £392 15.68
Leeds -______________ 20 £245 12.25
Liverpool ____________ 11 £210 19.09
Everton _____________ 6 £105 17.50
Arsenal ______________5 £40 8.00
Man Utd ____________4 £120 30.00
Chelsea ______________4 £80 20.00
Stoke ________________4 £38 9.50
Sunderland __________3 £65 21.67
Wigan Warriors ______3 £50 16.67
Aston Villa ___________3 £35 11.67
Millwall ______________3 £25 8.33
Man City _____________ 2 £270 135.00
Spurs _________________2 £260 130.00
Blackburn ____________ 2 £60 30.00
Nottm Forest ________ 2 £60 30.00
Swansea ______________2 £45 22.50
Brentford ____________ 2 £30 15.00
Barnsley _____________ 2 £25 12.50
Bury __________________2 £25 12.50
Reading ______________2 £25 12.50
Bolton _______________3 £22 7.33
Birmingham City _____ 2 £15 7.50
Newcastle ____________ 2 £15 7.50
Hamilton Accies _____1 £250 250.00
Philadelphia Eagles __1 £250 250.00
Swindon____________1 £50 50.00
Middlesbrough_______1 £50 50.00
Sounders (MLS)_____1 £50 50.00
Sheffied Utd_________1 £30 30.00
Widnes Vikings_____1 £30 30.00
Glasgow Rangers -----1 £20 20.00
Ipswich _______________1 £20 20.00
Leicester______________1 £20 20.00
Leyton Orient ________1 £20 20.00
Norwich______________1 £20 20.00
Southampton ______1 £20 20.00
Bristol City____________1 £10 10.00
Bristol Rovers_________1 £10 10.00
Crystal Palace_________1 £10 10.00
Tranmere _____________1 £10 10.00
West Brom___________1 £10 10.00
West Ham ___________1 £10 10.00
FC United ____________1 £10 10.00
Grimsby ---------------1 £10 10.00
Morecambe __________1 £10 10.00
QPR _________________1 £20 20.00
RC Lens______________1 £10 10.00
Lincoln _______________1 £5 5.00
Portsmouth__________1 £5 5.00
Derby County_________1 £5 5.00
Enfield Town__________1 £5 5.00
Wycombe __________1 £5 5.00
Yeovil _______________1 £5 5.00
Motherwell___________1 £1 1.00

Bollocks to um...when this is all done we look after ourselves in future...possible exception of Charlton, Fulham and Leeds.

So 3 Warriors fans have contributed....what goes round comes round and i class myself as a rugby fan. Makes you ever so proud of this town dunt it ?

To be fair that is only the fans who openly indicated who they supported. I imagine most Warriors fans who donated would class themselves as Latics fans too and probably wouldn't even mention the Warriors.

To be fair that is only the fans who openly indicated who they supported. I imagine most Warriors fans who donated would class themselves as Latics fans too and probably wouldn't even mention the Warriors.
I think you are being too generous here KDZ

I think you are being too generous here KDZ

Maybe but I think it's one of those where we haven't got exact or complete numbers so I wouldn't want to really say how Warriors fans responded for sure.

Interesting thing is we've got 426k from 3,200 pledges in less than a week compared to something like 190k from 3,500 pledges in a month or so. So it's a huge increase in average donation value but we still seem to be struggling to expand the number of people interested in giving drastically. Judging by the level of support directly after we see it promoted I get the impression if we could get the appeal in front of more football fans they would respond- we could really do with national media giving us more coverage to try and reach people who maybe previously hadn't heard of it. But the people of Wigan need to also step up 8k average fans, thousands more past and casuals, 100k in the town, hundreds of thousands more in the borough and out of all of that only about 3k took part. There are plenty of Latics fans who didn't donate last time and likely won't again and that's a real let down. Imagine not even putting a couple of quid into your own club when 50 odd Charlton fans did. You arent asking people to do something they can't afford but i think there are probably a lot of fans who can but just wont be bothered unfortunately. Would love them to come through for us as still time to join in.

With all that in mind i am pleasantly suprised how well we've done - great response surpassing all my expectations already. Well done to the Supporters Club for putting this in motion it seems like a great idea that is going to work.

Last edited:
Trust me King there will be A LOT of fans who don't have a clue this is happening. Absolutely nothing on the club website! I presume no emails or calls have been made to ST holders. As far as I know there's been nothing in the evening post or local radio? (could be wrong though). It should be splashed all over the front page! Social media coverage has been great, but we need to reach further than that.

I saw a post online about a couple of older fans donating £500 through a cheque, I presume someone told them about the fundraiser by ear. There will be many more elder folk like them out there without a clue what's going on, I guarantee it.

Also I can't stress enough how special what Reece James did was. Christian Pulisic shared his post with the link to the fundraiser on Instagram. That's America's biggest footballing star with three million IG followers alone!!! As did Mason Mount who has one million followers! He went to the trouble of looking up big name players from our past and tagging them, the likes of Roger Espinoza who saw it and subsequently donated and he won't have been alone! Lots of anonymous 500s and 1000s have been donated and you can bet they'll have mainly been ex players. The Jermaine Defoe story that went viral was also a massive boost as random football fans will have donated after seeing that. Huge credit to the fans online, who have proven that if you ask enough people and throw enough bait in the water, you may just strike lucky with a big bite.

Don't think I've seen a similar post, so to add to your excellent club analysis Arthur, I thought I'd piece together the current and former Wigan players and staff I've seen donate so far. (Feel free to mention any I might have missed, and of course there's likely been some anonymous player/staff donations as well given the size of some nameless pledges, so shout out to them whoever they are!)

It's not a competition of course, but the individual to donate the most will remain my profile picture for as long as I'm active on this website - currently James McClean!

James McClean - £5,000
Leon Balogun - £3737
Reece James - £3,000
Joel Robles - £1,500
Sam Morsy - £1,000
Kieran Dowell - £1,000
David Sharpe - £1,000
Jamie Jones - £1,000
Joe Gelhardt - £1,000
Chey Dunkey - £1,000
Joe Williams - £1,000
Callum McManaman - £1,000
Antonee Robinson - £1,000
Tom Pearce - £500
Gregor Rioch - £500
Roger Espinoza - £500
Kal Naismith - £500
Gary Roberts - £500
Lee Evans - £500
Stephen Warnock - £500
Jonas Olsson - £250
Jordan Flores - £250
Scott Smith - £250
Daniel Gyollai - £100
Jack Sanders - £100
Olly Crankshaw - £100
Christian Walton - £100
Barry Knowles - £100
Jamal Lowe - Unknown amount
Cedric Kipre - Unknown amount
Dujon Sterling - Unknown amount
Kevin Sharp - Unknown amount.

Last edited:
Pity there's nothing from Leighton Baines, James McArther & James McCarthy, we launched their careers and they earn millions per year.
But they could be amongst the anonymous donors, so maybe I am doing them a dis-service.
Also disappointing that more local fans have not donated. I think JJ said there were 6K season ticket holders, if each of those gave £20 (less than the cost of one game at normal prices) it would raise £120k.
I know some people are struggling at present but surely a good percentage of those could afford £10 or £20 - They would have easily saved at least this by not going to games recently or going to the pub during lockdown.

Last edited:
Pity there's nothing from Leighton Baines, James McArther & James McCarthy, we launched their careers and they earn millions per year.
But they could be amongst the anonymous donors, so maybe I am doing them a dis-service.
Also disappointing that more local fans have not donated. I think JJ said there were 6K season ticket holders, if each of those gave £20 (less than the cost of one game at normal prices) it would raise £120k.
I know some people are struggling at present but surely a good percentage of those could afford £10 or £20 - They would have easily saved at least this by not going to games recently or going to the pub during lockdown.
I just donated. I would have liked to have donated more but I can’t afford it this month, but as I said in my message well done to all the players and ex-players for putting in a pledge. I’m sure a lot of that is down to Reece’s shout out. What a top young man he is

Interesting to note that whilst supporters of other clubs have helped us football clubs themselves have not anyone know if is this due to :-
EFL "rules" conveniently not allowing them to (if so, yet again, not helpful 🙄)
Or self preservation / indifference

We would then have the ability to direct criticism where due for standing by in our hour of need