The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 293 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't get it mate, staying up was the only potential aim this year in reality with so many changes. Relegation was still the more likely, but we had the foundation in place to kick on then.

Staying up, all things considered, is basically a miracle.

You are back to calling the CEO and manager liars again then. That wasn't the aim, no matter how many times you choose to say it.

:tongue:

Think they mentioned us being surprised by our style and not sitting back against the top teams, didn't they?

Yup, and just to hang on and survive was not the aim, also repeated at an FCG. Judge us on results. Not 'we plan to scrape survival by the skin of the teeth just to make Mike Field happy in his assertations on the excellent Vital Villa fan forum." :lol:

I'll take survival btw, but I won't be worshipping the manager, just thanking him and hoping he is replaced by a pedigree manager to push on. If not, that's fine, I will concede i support a small to medium club and do what many seem to have done, settle for any old thing.

You are back to calling the CEO and manager liars again then. That wasn't the aim, no matter how many times you choose to say it.

:tongue:

:wagging: there's a difference between someone lying and simply being uninformed or overly wrong and enthusiastic because they clearly don't have my smarts.

I maintain, anything other than one point/goal difference for survival this year was a fallacy and I know what Purslow/DS said and if anyone wants to check back, I'm confident I'll have said something like.

It's a nice aim and what fans want to hear, but not happening. All the talk of doing a Wolves was pie in the sky. We could never even do a Sheff U.

:finger: lol

just to make Mike Field happy in his assertations on the excellent Vital Villa fan forum." :lol:

I'll ignore the assertations! But don't you see how they could've made this season far more easy if they'd have listened to me.

Yes, I know, you have me on ignore PMSL

Still massively torn on DS now though....especially if we do stay up. He made his remit, but has there been enough progress?

Yup, and just to hang on and survive was not the aim, also repeated at an FCG. Judge us on results. Not 'we plan to scrape survival by the skin of the teeth just to make Mike Field happy in his assertations on the excellent Vital Villa fan forum." :lol:

I think a lot of people would rather see us go down than have Mike on here gloating about staying up on goal difference :ROFLMAO:

Just kidding.

200w.gif

I'm still right, I know more than Villa it seems lol

(that's a worry in itself!)

Personally Dean Smith is really impressing me in the last 5 games. He is getting a tune out of these players, and that deserves credit.

Until today it was more subtle, but yes, since the restart there has been a far better plan albeit it not perfect for our strengths.

Not totally impressed, but it's a start for me given what we saw post September.

Credit yes, but I'm still not sure.

The cynic in me says that's a PR campaign but then who would spend 100M+ and say we're hoping for the best.

Did they just buy into the idea that the league is shit and we would piss it? And yet the league is shite because Watford, Bournemouth, and ourselves have had every opportunity to prevent this going to the last game of the season.

Until today it was more subtle, but yes, since the restart there has been a far better plan albeit it not perfect for our strengths.

Not totally impressed, but it's a start for me given what we saw post September.

Credit yes, but I'm still not sure.
How can anyone be sure? It's a results driven business and until the last few games, we were a mess all over the pitch. In his favour, he has become more pragmatic, structured the defence (which had been woeful) and got some promising results.

Long way left to go to win everyone over, but securing PL football would be a start.

I'm still leaning towards saying thanks and goodbye if we stay up. But if we do stay up then the question we have to ask ourselves is that on the the day he got the job when we were rudderless mid table in the championship would we have thought that finishing the following season 17th in the Premier League meant that Dean Smith had done a good job?

Personally speaking if someone had offered me 17th in the Premier league at that moment I'd have snatched their hand off. I still think that we need a manager to take us forward though and I'm not sure if Deano is the right person for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.