Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 71 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

To be honest, my level of apathy for this current Villa team increased after there seemed to be little-to-zero accountability for Grealish after the latest partying incident. I tried to remain neutral and thinking that the club was waiting for all of the facts to emerge, but that hasn't happened. Can you imagine the same behavior from the likes of Mortimer, Evans, Kevin Richardson, Southgate, Petrov?

OK, he was stupid, big time. But that lot weren't exactly saints, were they? Bet they drank far more than Jack.

OK, he was stupid, big time. But that lot weren't exactly saints, were they? Bet they drank far more than Jack.
But that's exactly my point McP. Drinking culture has always existed and nutrition/sports-science was virtually unheard of, yet those former captains had the maturity and common sense to know when, where and how much..... They took their responsibilities seriously... I actually once witnessed Gareth Barry ushering three of his teammates out of a bar in Toronto, presumably because he knew they'd be getting themselves into trouble/public view if they stayed (the place was starting to fill up with fans)..... Grealish, despite his professed love for the club, doesn't seem to want to be a leader off the pitch. The fact that he was at the home of a player who was turfed out of the club in disgrace is all the evidence I need that he should not be club captain...

But that's exactly my point McP. Drinking culture has always existed and nutrition/sports-science was virtually unheard of, yet those former captains had the maturity and common sense to know when, where and how much..... They took their responsibilities seriously... I actually once witnessed Gareth Barry ushering three of his teammates out of a bar in Toronto, presumably because he knew they'd be getting themselves into trouble/public view if they stayed (the place was starting to fill up with fans)..... Grealish, despite his professed love for the club, doesn't seem to want to be a leader off the pitch. The fact that he was at the home of a player who was turfed out of the club in disgrace is all the evidence I need that he should not be club captain...
Agreed. Mings should be captain. Much more professional and more vocal on the pitch. I prefer having a centre half as captain anyway as he's in a good position to read the game and organise the team. And I was happy to see Mings ripping into Grealish after that ridiculous short free kick against Wolves.

About to watch some of palace v Burnley.

wonder what sort of difference Cahill would have made if we had got him in....

Massive.

Add to that experienced central midfielder, experienced striker, with Heaton you have a spine . With those 4 players in place, Mings, Jack and SJM the likes of Luiz, Marvellous and Guilbert would flourish.

But hey ho .What do we know.

We've let some good experience go too soon and replaced them with inferior / expensive foreign imports
Jedinak>Engels
Hutton>guilbert
Whelan>Nakamba
Adomah>Trezeguet

Massive.

Add to that experienced central midfielder, experienced striker, with Heaton you have a spine . With those 4 players in place, Mings, Jack and SJM the likes of Luiz, Marvellous and Guilbert would flourish.

But hey ho .What do we know.
He brought in three players in January that fulfilled those criteria (Reina for Heaton, Drinkwater and Samatta). Two have played zero minutes since the re-start and one has started one game....
You look at a player like Elmo, who most consider to be average at best, but his experience is invaluable (joint top scorer since the restart! :grinning:). I know most don't/didn't agree with me, but letting Whelan and Jedi go at the same time was a huge mistake. They both had bags of premier league experience, including relegation scraps....

We've let some good experience go too soon and replaced them with inferior / expensive foreign imports
Jedinak>Engels
Hutton>guilbert
Whelan>Nakamba
Adomah>Trezeguet

Come on. Jedi was shot well before he left us, and he was making mistakes. I liked Hutton but his defending was no better than Guilbert and Guilbert is better going forwards, and his legs were beginning to go. Whelan also made mistakes; Nakamba's faster at closing down. Albert at his best was fine but that was some time ago and he frequently disappeared; Trez busts a gut and if he misses the odd shot at least he's up there having a shot.

With that lot we'd have trouble staying in the Champoionship.

does anyone else think that maybe we let jonathan kodjia leave too soon and just read that he went for free i know its a easier league to play in but he is doing the bizz 5 starts 4 goals
i also know he has injury problems but he is still a better player than samatta and i think if both were given the same amount of playing time
hen kodj would bag more goals and be a bigger threat
but again its shown we are pretty clueless in the transfer market maybe samatta will come good and become prolific in the championship lets hope so because i cant see wesley netting many in any league if we play him like we have been

Come on. Jedi was shot well before he left us, and he was making mistakes. I liked Hutton but his defending was no better than Guilbert and Guilbert is better going forwards, and his legs were beginning to go. Whelan also made mistakes; Nakamba's faster at closing down. Albert at his best was fine but that was some time ago and he frequently disappeared; Trez busts a gut and if he misses the odd shot at least he's up there having a shot.

With that lot we'd have trouble staying in the Champoionship.
i think we should have give hutton and whelan 12 month contracts becase they would know how to see games out look how many points we gave away in the last 10 mins of games