Nostalgia | Page 2 | Vital Football

Nostalgia

Enjoyable reading and the photo’s of course. Remember Boultham Park and the railway, use to go fishing on the Witham through the allotments around Hall Drive.

Or if you were going back to Swinderby after seeing Allan Gilliver score the winning goal for City this might be your transport..

St Marks Bus Station with St Marks church on the left.

Lincolnshire 2528 in Lincoln 1970s.jpg

Back onto Boultham Park miniature railway. My Dad took this photo which I came across this weekend while (still) sorting things out. I think I'm the boy at the back/extreme right, and would suggest it was taken late 50s. The engine driver's shoes also give a clue to the date

1592212618585.png

Back onto Boultham Park miniature railway. My Dad took this photo which I came across this weekend while (still) sorting things out. I think I'm the boy at the back/extreme right, and would suggest it was taken late 50s. The engine driver's shoes also give a clue to the date

My dad had a pair of pointed shoes in the 50s. No idea how old they were, he wasn't exactly a dedicated follower of fashion.

I think it's the same locomotive in both photos (I have a clearer pic of the first photo in a book).

Great picture Merthyr, that really takes me back. Higgs tobacconists had a shop under one side of the Stonebow, can you remember who or what was the other side, because I can't.

I was back in Lincoln to visit Mum after Lockdown recently, and we went for a walk round Hartsholme Park and then onto Boultham Park (she's very fit for an 82 y.o.)

We reminisced about the train, which I loved as a small boy, when visiting my grandparents on nearby Wecky Drive. I was delighted at how well kept both Parks are btw and how popular they are with families (just like back in the early 70's)

We do have a similar train here in Norwich at Eaton Park, I can't wait to see it back running again when current restrictions allow.

Higgs tobacconists had a shop under one side of the Stonebow, can you remember who or what was the other side, because I can't.

Nor can I. I do know that out of picture on the left was Battle's the chemists.

When my mother had her corner shop in Nottingham in the 1960s Mr Battle himself, acting as a wholesaler, used to deliver goods to us to sell. According to my mother, the reason he went out of his way to do that was because he combined it with visiting a lady friend in Nottingham.

Again on the railway theme, this is another pic of a group of train spotters from that same Echo article - taken in 1960 at the Central Station. I went with a friend occasionally but never really got into train spotting - but the size of this group of lads suggests it was quite a popular hobby

View attachment 40079
Note that the platform numbering has now changed and platform 5 is now 3 and 4 is 2 ( re numbered after the original dock platforms 1&2 became a car park. I believe that there was also a platform 8, which is still there but track lifted, beyond what is now platform 5 (was 7)........I know I know, I’ll get my coat, I need to get out more. I can advise that I wasn’t in that photo, I was probably at Crewe :ROFLMAO:;) Joking apart, it must have been a very busy station back in the day

Great picture Merthyr, that really takes me back. Higgs tobacconists had a shop under one side of the Stonebow, can you remember who or what was the other side, because I can't.

My wife seems to remember that the shop opposite Higgs in what is now a jewellery shop used to be some sort of haberdashery selling hats, scarves and gloves amongst other things in the early 1960’s

Looking at my 1957 Kellys DIrectory, 295 High St was B & M ladies' outfitters (see the first bus photo). 297 - other side of Saltergate - was Pratts. No. 296 - must be the one in the arch - was WJ Patton Ltd, confectioners. Cakes?

Looking at my 1957 Kellys DIrectory, 295 High St was B & M ladies' outfitters (see the first bus photo). 297 - other side of Saltergate - was Pratts. No. 296 - must be the one in the arch - was WJ Patton Ltd, confectioners. Cakes?

Charles Pratt & Sons, wine merchants, owned many of the properties on Saltergate. They traded from 297 High Street (Ann Summers) and owned the likes of The Still.

As an aside, Charles Pratt bought Joseph Ruston’s Monks Manor prior to the First World War. This was an enormous mansion, in huge grounds located between Greetwell Gate and Wragby Road. It was demolished in the 1930’s.

As an aside, Charles Pratt bought Joseph Ruston’s Monks Manor prior to the First World War. This was an enormous mansion, in huge grounds located between Greetwell Gate and Wragby Road. It was demolished in the 1930’s.

Several of Lincoln's houses built by 19th century industrialists or others disappeared - or simply rotted - in the first half of the 20th century.

Clayton, Shuttleworth, Ruston, Sudbrooke Holme, Nettleham Hall etc.

Several of Lincoln's houses built by 19th century industrialists or others disappeared - or simply rotted - in the first half of the 20th century.

Clayton, Shuttleworth, Ruston, Sudbrooke Holme, Nettleham Hall etc.

I suppose you could add boultham park hall to that, as well.