Nostalgia | Vital Football

Nostalgia

stokeimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
Came across an Echo "As it was" article with this picture taken in 1954 of the trains in Boultham Park. The son of our next door neighbours worked at Rustons and made an engine in their garage - that would be after this pic, though
1591727985431.png

Again on the railway theme, this is another pic of a group of train spotters from that same Echo article - taken in 1960 at the Central Station. I went with a friend occasionally but never really got into train spotting - but the size of this group of lads suggests it was quite a popular hobby

1591868221770.png

I went with a friend occasionally but never really got into train spotting - but the size of this group of lads suggests it was quite a popular hobby

Yes, it was in the 1950s and into the early 1960s. Really lost popularity then with the end of steam. I took two of three photos at Central in about 1961/62 but they're not very good. This one is B1 61003 'Gazelle'.

61003 at Lincoln 1960s.jpg

Yes, it was in the 1950s and into the early 1960s. Really lost popularity then with the end of steam. I took two of three photos at Central in about 1961/62 but they're not very good. This one is B1 61003 'Gazelle'.

I was trying to think when the diesels came in - the ones like in your first picture. I remember my Mum and Aunt taking my brother and I and our two cousins to Woodhall Spa one afternoon, just to have a ride on a new diesel, but I have no concept of time

That particular type of diesel unit only began to be used through Lincoln in the 1970s.

The first ones to appear were in 1957 and were of the type in this photo taken at Grantham in the early 1980s (although they were originally green of course). I can just remember when they took over from steam on the Lincoln - Grantham line.

Derby dmu at Grantham 1980s.jpg

It must have been 1957, then. Presumably we went during summer holiday - if they weren't introduced until later in the year, must have been the following year we went

Talking about railways, this was my transport home after a match for many years:

View attachment 40068
I can't get nostalgic about one of those things!

Uni to Lincoln and back included about 3 hours on one of those or similar from Crewe, 13 stations between Nottingham and Lincoln alone.

Heating rarely worked in winter but would be cranked up to max in summer. They made some of the current ancient rolling stock on Northern Line look the height of sophistication, this is how I remember British Rail.

The track was there into the 80s, at least. Only removed when it was turned into a car-park, I think.

The original track was the "oval" with the circle inside it. The circle was for Jetex powered cars which were moored to a central post by a string. At some point in the 70s I think, that area became a car park and a new track was built in the empty area to the east.

The rail track had four rails, enabling different gauges of engines to be run. We used to walk there from Hartsholme with our Hornby O-gauge engines and run them on the track. A lap of the track needed a couple of re-winds to get right round

x.jpg

That's the one. Until moving north, we lived just off Bargate for a few years and frequently used to walk past that area to get to Boultham Park.

Does anyone remember the rail “mystery tours” that ran in the school holidays. If my dad was at work my mum would take myself and my sister on a day out to a “surprise destination“. I recall we visited Clacton and Weston super Mare amongst others. It must have been in the early 70’s. I think there was a competition enroute to see who could guess the destination. On one occasion they ran the loco around and proceeded in a different direction to trick everyone!

I was trying to think when the diesels came in - the ones like in your first picture. I remember my Mum and Aunt taking my brother and I and our two cousins to Woodhall Spa one afternoon, just to have a ride on a new diesel, but I have no concept of time

I believe that Woodhall Spa and Woodhall junction ( formerly Kirkstead) stations closed to passengers in 1970 if that’s any help

That particular type of diesel unit only began to be used through Lincoln in the 1970s.

The first ones to appear were in 1957 and were of the type in this photo ...

There were actually dmus in 1955 (Gt Northern Terrace in the background)

x.jpg

I believe that Woodhall Spa and Woodhall junction ( formerly Kirkstead) stations closed to passengers in 1970 if that’s any help

My cousin lives in the old Kirkstead/Woodhall Junction station, the platform is part of their garden, I think. The station closed to passengers in 1970 and to freight the following year.