Newcastle v Aston Villa Match Thread - Weds 24th June - 6pm | Page 21 | Vital Football

Newcastle v Aston Villa Match Thread - Weds 24th June - 6pm

I think the only thing to take from it is, overall, we had tactics right, chances - but that's player confidence for you in not taking them/rub of the green.

The 2 up front HAS to be taken as a message as it changed the game but it was 10 mins too late. But at least Smith made that change.

That could've ended 5-1 for me and it didn't on a flip of the coin with chances taken. Had it, we'd all be talking and feeling differently.

McGinn and Grealish have been letdowns since lockdown. McGinn I suppose has the excuse of his injury although he lost form before he got himself injured.
We are supposed to be fighting for our lives. I don't sense this lot are.
Also Smith was supposed to be known for his playing style. He simply hasn't found one for us.

Thought we deserved it on the chances. Much much better going forward than Chelsea and more of the team looked fit. Unfortunately not McGinn yet. Samatta had a few flashes of really good hold up/link up play.

If Luiz had played like this from the off would we be where we are now? There's definitely a real player there.

We're still in touch. Us, Watford and Bournemouth have tricky run ins, whereas Wet Spam play all of the bottom four, which could go really well or really badly for them.

Still in it, whether we deserve to be or not.

Hint of extra quality - a few more signings settling quicker - no Palace/Arse VAR fuck ups - a bit more confidence - more luck with injuries and we'd be asking if we could get our arse away from trouble rather than being right in it.

We're right in the mix, but we can't keep looking at what ifs.

Luiz was in and out of the team at the start of the season, Marv came in and did well which forced him out but he’s massively dipped for me (Marv). Luiz made mistakes and wasn’t always quite up to speed with the game, but he’s always had class and there is a player with lots of potential.

I just hope he isn’t playing for a move... he’ll pop up in the champions league for PSG or someone soon and we’ll have the debate why he couldn’t do it did us 😄

Luiz was in and out of the team at the start of the season, Marv came in and did well which forced him out but he’s massively dipped for me (Marv). Luiz made mistakes and wasn’t always quite up to speed with the game, but he’s always had class and there is a player with lots of potential.

I just hope he isn’t playing for a move... he’ll pop up in the champions league for PSG or someone soon and we’ll have the debate why he couldn’t do it did us 😄
I think the slower pace suits Luiz more than anyone else in the squad. He has huge talent but seems to got caught out a lot - but so far since the restart he’s been our best player. Also I read he didn’t speak English very well so the break has done him huge favours in that respect as it’s given him more time to bed in.. that’s the problem with buying too many foreign players in one go.

McGinn and Grealish have been letdowns since lockdown. McGinn I suppose has the excuse of his injury although he lost form before he got himself injured.
Also Smith was supposed to be known for his playing style. He simply hasn't found one for us.
Both have been poor. I think Mcginn is understandably lacking match fitness, but then that’s the managers job to get him back up and running properly. It’s a bit like Drinkwater in January, he was clearly not up to speed but we persisted with starting him anyway. We shouldn’t be prioritising McGinns fitness over our chances of winning matches.

I can't believe they're safe. They are utterly shite, with a manager in charge who wasn't good enough for us.

Yet we still couldn't beat them. Depressing.
Bruce is a pragmatic manager though. In the championship for us he was too pragmatic, it didn’t suit us with the players we had or what we were trying to achieve, but in the PL that approach makes sense. Although dull his teams will grind out results here and there and will probably do enough to survive.

Good point that.
And then you look at our upcoming fixtures.

Bored.

Bored of project restart (ahhhh haaaa!)

Bored of shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Bored of boring tactics.

Bored of waiting for us to ‘click’.

Bored of thinking it will get better the next game

Bored of not scoring enough.

Bored of predictably letting shit ex baggie players score against us (Jay Rod, Long, Gayle)

Bored of just about clinging on to keeping the season alive .

I would have young Barry on the bench on Saturday and give him a run for the last 30 minutes.

Can you imagine, a young Villa supporter playing for his club. He'd bust a gut for us.
The lad is 16 so is probably no where near the standard of a premier league striker in the slightest. You think Barca would let a premier league quality 16 year old leave for a few hundred thousand euros? I do worry for the lad he will undoubtedly be hyped up beyond belief and then when he isn’t the next Messi he will be knocked down by fans

I did say before the game there was no point playing the wingers and when we took them off and played a diamond with 2 up top we looked miles better.

Nothing to lose now really, why don't we just go for it ?
Ironically when you’ve got 2 centre forwards who are good in the air that’s when you want your wingers on the pitch, unfortunately that’s when Smith took them off. At least he put Elmo on a few minutes later. But agree overall it’s painful to watch us persevere with El Ghazi and Trezeguet who are both below the standard - we do have 2 solid attacking wing backs in Targett and Elmo but refuses to utilise them as proper wing backs, I know we used 3 at the back before but was a waste of time when we were still playing attacking wingers too

If we go down Luiz will be off, even if we don't we could have trouble holding on to him.
I think if we go down all the lads bought from overseas (including Luiz even though he officially came from Man City) will be looking for a move. They’ve come here specifically for premier league football if they can’t get that they’ll be back to Turkey or France or wherever

We are running out of time. I will be surprised with anything more than 3 points from the next 4 very tough games - wolves, Liverpool, Man U, palace .

The only downside of staying up I feel is that Smith is likely to be given another season.

Where is the attacking football we played in parts last season?

Just so lame, Newcastle were there for the taking tonight.

I would rather see us lose fighting for a win than this.