Today’s Announcement by Boris... | Vital Football

Today’s Announcement by Boris...

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13556

Apologies if I should have put this into the coronavirus thread....Still nearly 200 deaths daily, 1,000 new cases daily, but fuck it, let’s open the pubs, restaurants, cinemas etc! Way too soon in my opinion, but what do I know?

Apologies if I should have put this into the coronavirus thread....Still nearly 200 deaths daily, 1,000 new cases daily, but fuck it, let’s open the pubs, restaurants, cinemas etc! Way too soon in my opinion, but what do I know?
Exactly.
Time to get the economy going.
Anyone who wants to continue living in a box is welcome to do so. The rest will get on with living.

The right decision, as horrible as this virus has been I've been more concerned about the long term fall out of this lockdown. Opening up more businesses with measures still in place is vital.

We just have to hope beyond hope that they know what they're doing. My fear is that given the last 12 weeks of utter fuck ups, that they'll have fucked this one too and a second wave could hit.

Exactly.
Anyone who wants to continue living in a box is welcome to do so. The rest will get on with living.
That is easy for those who are unlikely to die to say .If this virus catches hold again we could well have to do the whole thing again. Personally I think he should wait and see how the current rules are working. Opening things like Pubs where you will get drunkenness and Cinemas where you are in the dark at a time when we still need social distancing. And keeping football stadiums completely closed where social distancing can be easier to achieve seems madness to me.Football crowds are in a open air environment surely this is safer than a cinema or pub.

So as I understand it I can't go around to a mates house. But I can meet him in the cinema and go for a drink in the pub.

What it boils down to is a risk assessment and people staying alert and aware.

The excess infection and death figures we are now down to, plus the conditions that are being linked to each re-opening, justify these moves IMHO.

Nobody who has pre-existing health conditions or has shown any recent Covid symptoms should be venturing out for a while. Hand sanitiser is now freely available and I am seeing it near every shop entrance, similar to hospital wards where superbugs lurk.

All the big national sporting and social events have been postponed or cancelled for this year.

Of course, if there is any rise in infections those not willing to take the risk will be able to say "I told you so" but what is a safe figure?

The likes of South Korea and New Zealand were confident that they had eradicated the virus but it has come back to an extent. There is never going to be a 100% guarantee.

"I think we should wait" :yawning:

It's going to be July in a couple of weeks time, this has been going on since March. Healthy women aged 30-34 have a less than 1 in 350,000 chance of dying from Covid, which is the quarter of the risk of dying from an accident. Let people who want to do something do it, people who want to carry on as before can do that

I'd be really curious to know what is going to happen in a month or twos time that would make delaying worthwhile?

So as I understand it I can't go around to a mates house. But I can meet him in the cinema and go for a drink in the pub.

You can do all three from the 4th July, and even stay at his house if you drink too much.

That is easy for those who are unlikely to die to say .If this virus catches hold again we could well have to do the whole thing again. Personally I think he should wait and see how the current rules are working. Opening things like Pubs where you will get drunkenness and Cinemas where you are in the dark at a time when we still need social distancing. And keeping football stadiums completely closed where social distancing can be easier to achieve seems madness to me.Football crowds are in a open air environment surely this is safer than a cinema or pub.

Cinemas will be at reduced capacity, they will stagger start times so there isn't mass congregation in the foyer and you can book seats with family members, I read this last week from an article with a quote from Cineworld. Pubs will have table service/limited capacity etc. I agree with you on football stadiums, the football league need to set a date and work a plan to let fans back in.

The way I see it, the young will just revert to how it was pre lockdown, the middle aged will take things at a steady pace and see how it all pans out at the same time looking forward to a more normal life, the elderly and those awaiting treatment and those suffering from underlying health conditions, dreading the future and taking things very steadily, and the government hoping they have got it right, they can't win because some group or groups are going to lose out and be on their backs.
I fear another wave, not just because people so far not affected will catch this virus but those millions not able to get treatment for other issues who will suffer even more if the NHS comes under more pressure towards the autumn.

I think there are 2 things it's important to bear in mind for those worrying that it's too soon to lift restrictions.

Firstly, the idea was never to completely eliminate the virus, it was simply to give the hospitals some breathing room so that they didn't collapse completely with so many people needing treatment all at once. Flattening the curve, I believe they called it, and that's been achieved.

And secondly, people are now a lot more conscious of the risks, and of the precautions to take. People wear masks in a lot of places (although I get the impression that's nowhere near as widespread in the UK as it is here in Spain for example), wash their hands frequently, use hand gel, don't shake hands, keep a safe distance from other people, communal areas are disinfected much more frequently, etc. All of which should hopefully mean that even with the restrictions being eased, the virus shouldn't be able to spread anywhere near as easily and as quickly as it did the first time around.

Exactly.
That’s exactly what Novak Djokovic said when he organised his tennis tournament and they all went to a nightclub. Oh, now he and his wife have tested positive as well as two of the other players in the tournament. Cracking decision.

That’s exactly what Novak Djokovic said when he organised his tennis tournament and they all went to a nightclub. Oh, now he and his wife have tested positive as well as two of the other players in the tournament. Cracking decision.
Hope they don't die

A second spike will come no question. Let's at least enjoy some social life in the meantime.

Hard to see how we don't begin to come out and if you listen to the health experts you get a better idea of what is sensible and what is not. My only problem is with the messenger, who failed to take decisions at the right time and has bumbled and blustered his way through a series of fiascos. He now appears to have difficulty reading out loud and conveying the sense and seriousness of his brief.

The task now is to revive something like normal life without scaring some people, frustrating others, or risking a serious, new outbreak. I hope Bunter is well managed and will not be listening to his burbling.

Last edited:
Why exactly is it an issue waldo.
He’s caught covid 19.
So have millions of others.
It’s expected that as a fit healthy person, that won’t be a major issue.
There will need to be a two tier system.
You remain in your box if you’re vulnerable. The rest of the world will continue.
If you’re personally worried, stay home, just don’t expect everyone else to.