The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 16 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

Thought JT was a great signing. I'm sure both on the pitch and behind the scenes we benefitted.

Re coach, fact is that in terms of status we are way behind Everton. Some coaches will only look at an established PL team. Rogers for example was unlikely to come to us in the Championship; having dodgy owners didn't help.

Having said that, now having rich, stable owners and the club structure sorted out should help, whether we're relegated or not. Benitez stuck with Newcastle. Bielsa went to Leeds.

At the time Ancellotti took over at Everton, they were hovering just above the relegation zone and in freefall.

At the time Ancellotti took over at Everton, they were hovering just above the relegation zone and in freefall.
Everton is a completely different proposition to us, they are an established prem team who have spent big and probably think they should be challenging for the top 6 this season, whereas we are newly promoted, have had a huge turnover of players and overall a very inexperienced squad and are realistically aiming for 17th place

Everton is a completely different proposition to us, they are an established prem team who have spent big and probably think they should be challenging for the top 6 this season, whereas we are newly promoted, have had a huge turnover of players and overall a very inexperienced squad and are realistically aiming for 17th place

And why do we have a crap and inexperienced team?

Having said that, now having rich, stable owners and the club structure sorted out should help, whether we're relegated or not. Benitez stuck with Newcastle. Bielsa went to Leeds.

Indeed,money talks, as does selling a vision and showing ambition. It is possible. I am constantly shocked at how many Villa fans don't think it is, and actually talk about us like we are a small club.

That didn't stop us buying experience.

We had experience, Hutton and Chester. Smith obviously didn't want what they offered. But to buy experience with significant higher quality was outside our budget.

Me, I'd have kept Hutton as a backstop, and I wouldn't have shipped Chester out to Stoke. When Chester came back he and Mings could have formed a solid partnership, at least for this season. Which is why I don't buy DS saying he wanted experience.

We had experience, Hutton and Chester. Smith obviously didn't want what they offered. But to buy experience with significant higher quality was outside our budget.

Me, I'd have kept Hutton as a backstop, and I wouldn't have shipped Chester out to Stoke. When Chester came back he and Mings could have formed a solid partnership, at least for this season. Which is why I don't buy DS saying he wanted experience.

Which leads me back to having an experienced manager with a pedigree.

Wouldn't argue with that. When any manager starts complaining about experience, whether it's Bruce or DS, I think they've lost the plot; good managers get the best out of what they've got. Most, maybe all, managers face restrictions on what they can buy in.

At the start of the season though ?. Or midway?
Massively harsh on Deano not being given the opportunity to prove himself after last seasons great effort.

We have never been so much out of the frame to press the panic button. Ironically, perhaps the closest to panic was after Leicester and then Covid-19 occurred. Surely any manager irrelevant of experience or not have to buy into the transfer policy. Maybe that was the issue with changing manager.

At the start of the season though ?. Or midway?
Massively harsh on Deano not being given the opportunity to prove himself after last seasons great effort.

We have never been so much out of the frame to press the panic button. Ironically, perhaps the closest to panic was after Leicester and then Covid-19 occurred. Surely any manager irrelevant of experience or not have to buy into the transfer policy. Maybe that was the issue with changing manager.

He deserved his shot as he had earned it, but he quickly proved the job was beyond him and should have been replaced.

Hutton would be well past it now, hasn’t he retired now? Kind of confirms that point. As for Chester, I think we wanted to keep him around but he’s not fit enough, the guy doesn’t get enough credit because he’s basically ruined his career by playing through injury for us.

That said I’m not defending the lack of experience in the squad, it’s completely ridiculous to me. We had £130m to spend which is plenty enough but whoever was in charge simply chose not buy experience. Just as one example we bought Wesley for £22m and then his replacement in January looks better and cost less than half

That said I’m not defending the lack of experience in the squad, it’s completely ridiculous to me. We had £130m to spend which is plenty enough but whoever was in charge simply chose not buy experience.

For me. This.

If we go down then this will be why and said from the start we were not buying that experience. I was underwhelmed that every bloody player coming through the door I had to google search to find out who they were.

Hutton would be well past it now, hasn’t he retired now? Kind of confirms that point. As for Chester, I think we wanted to keep him around but he’s not fit enough, the guy doesn’t get enough credit because he’s basically ruined his career by playing through injury for us.

That said I’m not defending the lack of experience in the squad, it’s completely ridiculous to me. We had £130m to spend which is plenty enough but whoever was in charge simply chose not buy experience. Just as one example we bought Wesley for £22m and then his replacement in January looks better and cost less than half

I was calling for players with PL experience myself, but the problem seems to be if they have that, we are looking at double the transfer price we eventually paid for our signings. From their side of the argument we needed to sign 12/13 players (guess) and we had £130m to do it with.

I was calling for players with PL experience myself, but the problem seems to be if they have that, we are looking at double the transfer price we eventually paid for our signings. From their side of the argument we needed to sign 12/13 players (guess) and we had £130m to do it with.

But we didn't need all experience though. We could have mixed it more. Added a couple.
Yes we had Heaton and Mings . But Mings is not blessed with huge experience due to injury. And that's it experience wise. Poor really.

Either way, we're all agreed the recruitment wasn't right. I'm not blaming Deano for that because that's not the set-up we have here.

I do think we're a midfield general away from being a different proposition entirely.

Either way, we're all agreed the recruitment wasn't right. I'm not blaming Deano for that because that's not the set-up we have here.

I do think we're a midfield general away from being a different proposition entirely.

I think playing Jack deep, which is where he wants to play, we'd be a different proposition. Nakamba's good as a DM; with Jack as a major outlet then we can get moving upfield quicker.

I think DS very much deserved his chance. I've not entirely gone against him but there are big questions, big doubts.