The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 206 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The recruitment in the summer hasn't worked out and I don't think even Dyche could get a solid midlfield out of Luiz, Nakamba and whoever else the dice picks this week. The club and Deano have admitted as much (that they're short on experience), but if we can address it this summer I've seen enough from Deano that I want him to get another go.

if howe and Dyche are the best were looking at then we dont deserve to be a top six team .these are managers that have won nothing apart from keeping teams in a league they shouldn,t really be in. for Bournemouth and Burnley to stay up is seen as a good season but id hope our new owners would be looking for more we should be looking at people like raffa i think someone that can steer a big ship and manage big name players

One of DS's biggest problems is that he hasn't caught on how to play away games in the PL. Look at the teams who come to Villa. The bottom line is that they don't want to lose. They aim to get a fair way through a match leaving us frustrated. They then try to nick a goal, or if they're a better team they put their foot down, at the point where we're beginning to flag, and brush us aside. Quite often it doesn't work out like that but a lot of the time it does.

When we go away we don't do that. We either attack too readily, or fail to provide enough strength to keep them at bay. I think a lot of that is down to coaching. Losing players like McGinn doesn't help, but that's only part of it.

Anyway back on track I think Dean has been issued a get out of jail free card because there is no football, let's hope he's made the most of it.
I wonder he ever reads fan forums and thinks what a bunch of muppets?

If he stays, it will say all I need to hear about the clubs ambition. If we don't get relegated with a get out of jail card from a null and void league, we should take advantage and start acting like a big club.

I know we won't, I just live in hope.

If they were going to sack him he's have gone after the Leicester game surely, which would have given us at least 8 weeks to get another manager in.
Apparently Edens is very ruthless I can see Purslow going first as he's running the show and he's brought in the manager and players

Not sure, probably seeing this season out would have made sense once it looked like ... no, I don't know. I'd have thrown the dice to try to see if we got a new manager boost to get out of the bottom three

But now, new situation, so if the league is cancelled, we are sort of out of jail. Fine, re-set, totally. If we try to do the same thing again, much like a few years back, to me the likely result is we remain relegation fodder, or circle the drain near the bottom of the league at least.

If that is good enough, then fine, keep what we have.

If there is true ambition, then this manager and the director of football bringing in so many poor players, is not the way to illustrate that.

We've been woeful in my opinion and as you know, I said it was going to be rough from the get go. Up to them now, show us what you really are made of, or stay the same and I can't see how we'll realistically be a top ten club any time soon.

If they were going to sack him he's have gone after the Leicester game surely, which would have given us at least 8 weeks to get another manager in.
Apparently Edens is very ruthless I can see Purslow going first as he's running the show and he's brought in the manager and players

Don't see Edens as another Deadly. I think he's pragmatic. He and Nassif are obviously serious about this project, they're ambitious and I think they want to see real progress. With his basketball team he stuck with the manager he brought in until things stalled. He obviously decided he needed someone better, made the switch and progress resumed. Fair enough.

With DS he did a good job on the promotion front, maybe better than expected, and there was a good case for letting him have crack at the PL, maybe more so given the problems we would face with rebuilding the squad. Think he was always going to stay the season unless things got desperate, and with a good January there were reasons to stick with him. Since it's been all about survival and not the time to change.

But if we do stay up I think they'll want that real progress; they're not in this just to amble along. Is DS the bod to take us forwards? Can't see it myself. He had the task of integrating a lot of players and hasn't managed it. I think there's a good player in Luiz but whenever he's been played he looks like a fish out of water, for example. We still don't have a settled team, too often we don't really function like a team, at least not one which reflects the realities of the PL.

Purslow will be fine; he, Wes and Nassif are in this together and work together. I'm sure it'll stay that way.

I find it hard to judge him based on this season as he had too many players to integrate at once, most with a real lack of PL experience, and most shit. He's been saddled with Suso's poor choices imo.

He got us promoted the season before and it seemed the players he got in Jan were his choices, fair enough Super Jack was a massive factor but he still put it all together.

He's definitely shown some tactical naivety but it is his first season in the PL with the above mentioned problems. I say stick whichever division we are in, he deserves another crack.

Who is this mystery big time manager we are going to get instead that's going to make these crap players perform better. I just can't see it. To succeed in this division we need better players, and more with PL experience. Give him that and with his own new experience and time to reflect, then I believe we can truly judge him.

Don't see Edens as another Deadly. I think he's pragmatic. He and Nassif are obviously serious about this project, they're ambitious and I think they want to see real progress. .

Which if it doesn't happen will mean people getting the sack, we don't want another Randy lerner who stuck with Lambert for 3 seasons when it was obvious he was never going to be a top manager and so it has proved since he left.
Can't say too much at the moment but if we do end up in the Championship next season we are therefore going backwards or if you want to spin it back where we began

I'm one who has doubts about Purslow, just a gut feeling but there again I don't like slimy businessmen. I do however like Nas and Wes but they will have to be ruthless, which to become billionaires they have in them

Recruitment not was good but virtually every game this season I've felt I've been watching a manager out of his depth at this level. His approach is so naive given resources and has not once found a solution to our embarrassing defending.

Recruitment not was good but virtually every game this season I've felt I've been watching a manager out of his depth at this level. His approach is so naive given resources and has not once found a solution to our embarrassing defending.

Just read a little bit about Sherwood and Lerner on twitter and Sherwood basically he was given players by the club that he didn't want, there seems to be a common theme here,
I know I know its the modern way but it's still ridiculous if a manager has no say in recruitment or rather the final say.

Don’t get the anti Purslow stuff. Yes he may be some slick Rick corporate guy, but most people in these positions are. He seems to have done pretty much what was asked of him from what I can see.
I can’t agree with the argument that Deano hasn’t got his own players either. He’s had an input to some extent, Konsa, Engels, Heaton. But that would be the same wherever he went. The days of a manager having the freedom to build his own team with no interference from others are long gone.

Don’t get the anti Purslow stuff. Yes he may be some slick Rick corporate guy, but most people in these positions are. He seems to have done pretty much what was asked of him from what I can see.
I can’t agree with the argument that Deano hasn’t got his own players either. He’s had an input to some extent, Konsa, Engels, Heaton. But that would be the same wherever he went. The days of a manager having the freedom to build his own team with no interference from others are long gone.

Also, I think he had a similar system at Brentford (and also, also...!... they seem to have done better after his departure).

Just read a little bit about Sherwood and Lerner on twitter and Sherwood basically he was given players by the club that he didn't want, there seems to be a common theme here,
I know I know its the modern way but it's still ridiculous if a manager has no say in recruitment or rather the final say.

If Tim Sherwood wasn't one of the biggest spoofers in the history of football I'd be more inclined to believe his whinging. However I remember him going on and on about want to sigh Adama for Spurs and tracking Veretout for years. So which one was he lying about. Also the ones that everyone has zero doubt were 100% his signings were Richards and Lescott. 2 of the worst signings in the clubs history. I will always be half fond of Timmy for saving us, getting to a cup final and his general passion but he's a complete gobshite in my opinion.

Must have missed them getting promoted ahead of us.

In their highest ever position I think. They didn't take long to rally on Smith's departure and a lot of their fans didn't seem overly fussed by his departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.