Sam Morsy | Vital Football

Sam Morsy

loudmouthblue

Vital Football Hero
Those that read my rambles will know that I don't rate Morsy, I have had countless disputes with Hindley about his ability. Over the last 10 or so games and this season in general I have to say he has been immense head and shoulders our best player, he is playing with more freedom, taking players on and passing forward instead of sideways or backwards.

The other noticeable thing about him over the last few games where he has been awesome is he is not picking up stupid petulant bookings, he seems to be thinking more and reading the game situation far better than he has ever done so his timing has improved somewhat.

He had a difficult day today against a top quality midfield but still stuck to his task and was excellent, if not for Naismith and Kipre who were class today Morsy would have been mom yet again.

I must admit that I thought he was MoM on Tuesday against Sheffield. He stuck to Nuhiu like a limpet and snapped and snarled at his heels all night whenever the ball was played to him and on the occasions we were in possession was right in amongst it moving the ball forward and creating the opportunity to unleash a shot on goal.

He seemed to do the same at about this time last year when he was once again walking the tightrope of suspension, so perhaps he needs to be threatened with the ban before he realises that he can play his game without picking up cards.

From PK last night,
Booking for Nathan Byrne, makes it nine for the season, one short of a ban. Sam Morsy been in that position since before Christmas of course.

I've always liked Morsy,but in recent weeks his performances have gone up a level and he has been instrumental in our upturn in form.
We know he is crucial at breaking up play of the opposition and starting our attacks,but recently he seems to have more of a licence to press higher,drive forward and join our attacks.
He's been on 9 bookings for ages as well which has made his performances even more remarkable.The deadline for 10 yellows and then a subsequent 2 game ban is extended to 15 yellows after the Luton game next week apparently.So lets hope his performances and recent disciplinary record continues to avoid any suspension.
The same goes for Byrne,who also has been excellent up and down the right side recently,showing much more consistency in his play.

Need him on his best behaviour against West Brom, especially as a Wolves fan! It's a game we have little chance of getting something from anyway and we cannot afford to lose him for Luton and Huddersfield!

Always remember Blackpool at home on that diabolical night just before the City game, when with the match already done he managed to talk himself into the book in the final few minutes and get suspended. I bet he regrets that now!

Morsy does this every year, races to 8 or 9 yellows picking up nearly always for silly bookings. Then cuts out the rash tackles and leaving the foot in and is better for it, managing to go weeks without picking the the cards to result in a ban.

Morsy needs to go another 6 games to get to the yellow card reset, which is going to be a huge ask. It's a potentially terrible time to lose him with 3 six pointers in the next six, so we need him to be as careful as he can.

Had a quick look at his stats and he got 8 of his bookings in his first 14 games and then got 1 in his last 18 league games - that's crazy for a defensive midfielder like him. I think it's safe to say his form has been better since he started walking the tightrope too.

The more Sam pushes forward with intent the better we are looking. He has adopted the role that Reece James occupied. He is shooting more and taking players on....Sam Morsy plays this offensive type of game very well and the team benefits when he does and we are capable of beating ANY team in this division. He was wasted in the more defensive position that cost us points earlier in the season.

The more Sam pushes forward with intent the better we are looking. He has adopted the role that Reece James occupied. He is shooting more and taking players on....Sam Morsy plays this offensive type of game very well and the team benefits when he does and we are capable of beating ANY team in this division. He was wasted in the more defensive position that cost us points earlier in the season.

Good call, i think Morsy has always been better box to box than just as a anchor man / water carrier, but often has played that role as his midfield partners are not as good there. Now Williams is doing that job so well it's given Morsy more licence and i think everyone is benefitting from it. At start of the season i felt Morsy was still trying to play that role and Williams was so effective in that area it was 2 people doing the same job and it made Sam look a bit redundant, it was questionable if the pair were just not suited to play together, but thankfully it seems like they've worked out the balance now and are thriving.

Good call, i think Morsy has always been better box to box than just as a anchor man / water carrier, but often has played that role as his midfield partners are not as good there. Now Williams is doing that job so well it's given Morsy more licence and i think everyone is benefitting from it. At start of the season i felt Morsy was still trying to play that role and Williams was so effective in that area it was 2 people doing the same job and it made Sam look a bit redundant, it was questionable if the pair were just not suited to play together, but thankfully it seems like they've worked out the balance now and are thriving.
Should we not give credit to cook for this . We soon slag him off when things are going wrong . 🤔