Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sunday 16th Feb, 2pm | Page 20 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sunday 16th Feb, 2pm

But it was a penalty, so how can we moan? Right decision reached.

Even on talksport on the way back the man wasn’t sure it was a penalty, it’s a subjective decision. The player still got his shot off but it was blocked that’s why the goal kick was given.

My point is that VAR isn’t letting the referees do the job they’re paid to do, if VAR is gonna keep doing that there’s no point them being there. If he’s unsure of his decision then as every other f**king league is doing he should run over to the screen and check. Least then he can hold his hands up and say I got it wrong but put it right. When Coady and Riley were walking off the pitch at half time on Friday Riley had no idea who was offside and this is the man officiating the game. It’s a joke and it pisses me off.

So hard to take today.....but ultimately we’ll pay the price if we continue to lose games like this. The mistake which led to the winning goal kind of sums up our season....basic errors like that will come back to haunt us in May. And yet going forward there were so many elements to our play today which were so encouraging and where we looked far from relegation fodder. Despite losing, the more positive elements of our play give me hope that all is not lost but time is running out. Liverpool, Arsenal, today....could easily have had 9 points from those three games...yet end up with 0. It’s an unforgiving league as we’re finding out. A cruel blow for us yet again with Mings missing, think we’ve lost every game when he’s been not played and we desperately miss his leadership and presence at the back. That said, we can’t keep making excuses. Engels howler was just schoolboy stuff. Thought Samatta did very well today but we’ve got to make sure he’s not isolated. A last word for Mr Atkinson....3 games at Villa Park this season....feckin useless in all three...how we ended up having 2 in the book but Spurs none is beyond my levels of comprehension!

I just can't see it happening though pvb, they have been poor for most of the season and I can't seem it all magically coming together as the pressure mounts.

I realise Chester had to move for his own career, but he would have been invaluable in a game like this.

He's apparently been awful for Stoke in the games he's played for then so far. He may one day be able to get back to something like his old self some day but I really don't think he'd be much use to us right now.

So disappointed at that ending. I thought we played with a bit of intensity and purpose but our decision making has to improve. Trezeguet's decision to have a go himself with Guilbert in enough space to build a block of flats was a case in point. I was baffled by Dean's substitutions. I could see the reason for Drinkwater but Samata and Al. G didn't make sense to me.
I enjoyed up until 26 seconds from the final whistle. Totally pissed of.

Other than the usual VAR rubbish I enjoyed the game, even with their last minute winner all I could think was ‘that’s football’, our last two home games (Watford, Leicester) that was us. Very open game and tackles flying in all over the place, love it. God knows how they didn’t receive any yellow cards though.

I thought it was a lot better than watching us play with Wesley, I just wish we’d get the ball in the box slightly quicker so Samma can run onto it or get in front of the defender. Although he’s very strong, he isn’t going to win too many headers against 6ft+ centre halves.

Didn't score though. End of. We are not at the stage of the season where we can admire our play. Results are be all and end all.

Had enough this season. Exactly how I thought I would feel at some stage. It's no fun. I fear the worst but hope for the best.. But tbh if we can't kick on anyway I'd rather not be in this league . It's just a grind of win a game then wait what seems like weeks for another one to come along .

I'm too weary for this. I just want to win and have the buzz of a win. I'm not sure I care what league. No actually . I dont care.

Had enough this season. Exactly how I thought I would feel at some stage. It's no fun. I fear the worst but hope for the best.. But tbh if we can't kick on anyway I'd rather not be in this league . It's just a grind of win a game then wait what seems like weeks for another one to come along .

I'm too weary for this. I just want to win and have the buzz of a win. I'm not sure I care what league. No actually . I dont care.

The only thing is, there is VAR in the championship next season. Imagine that with worse officials ?

Another game thrown away. We actually played decently, we could have even won, certainly should have at least got a point. We deserved to be winning at half time, bad luck that we weren’t.. but that ending, just wow what a horrendous way to end a football match, yet again this season.

Our problem is clear as day, we now have the worst defensive record in the division and how many of those are self inflicted or caused by poor play? Too many. It would be even worse had it not been for keepers consistently saving us in nearly every game. Completely unacceptable really and it’s the reason we will go down unless it improves quickly... decent teams will punish mistakes and lapses in concentration and nearly all our games from now are against decent sides

I posted it a while ago, Engels doesn’t work in a 3 at the back because if you pull him wide we’re exposed as he has little pace - now we can’t change a formation for one player, but he’s a 4 at the back player all day long.

Haus’ distribution is poor and we need to improve on Hause as quickly as we can.

Konsa is a good footballer, need more leadership from him though.

We’re missing an Axel type at the back, someone who can sweep and coordinate a bit. It’s like pulling apart wrapping paper our defence sometimes. I’m not sure how the marking is instructed, when you have three lively and mobile players in Son, Moura and Alli who love about we were marking fresh air but keeping shape. I don’t know the right approach but you could see the amount of times Son getting around us they were going to score a couple today.
We’re not missing Tuanzebe at all, we’d be just as bad with him but what are missing is an experienced centre back who actually knows how to play in this division! I think Engels is a decent player but someone with 100 or 200 premier league games would deal with clearance, even a shite defender like James Collins or Richard Dunne for example would look world class compared to our current lot

Last edited:
To be fair their first 2 goals were lucky breaks where the ball could have gone anywhere.

The less said about the third though the better.

Sorry but I don't take any positives from that . Why ? Well -
Spurs were way below par today and were there for the taking , bit like the Brighton away game they lost 0-3, but we were absolutely diabolical at the back. However our midfield offer no protection.
Spurs passed through our midfield like they weren't there, it was embarrassing. They looked like creating a good goalscoring opportunity every attack.
We attacked them yes but missed our chances or made poor decisions- Trezeguet you greedy t**t

Another incredibly frustrating day as a Villa fan. I'd just like to start off by saying the referee was absolute terrible. It was almost a slap in the face how bias he was. Aurier had three yellow card worthy fouls within the first 13 minutes, watch out for them on match of the day. First yellow card was for a Villa player in he 70th minute. Joke.

A better team than us would have been three goals up before the half hour mark today, fact. El Ghazi was at his best, unfortunately his best is Championship level play.

The lack of quality in the midfield and in defence was laid bare for the world to see today. Had we had mings and mcginn playing at full fitness, we would have strolled the three points over the line.

Engels has seen his last game in a Villa shirt. You've got two head coaches who played in your position, one of which is one of the best the game has ever seen, and you put in a performance like that? Shocking.

Konsa is fairly anonymous when he wants to be, Hause is back up at best (I think we all know that), Guilbert has gone totally off the boil. I really hope we can keep as many key players fit for as many games as possible. Wrap Mings in cotton wool until the weekends come around.