Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sunday 16th Feb, 2pm | Page 19 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Tottenham Match Thread - Sunday 16th Feb, 2pm

And all you have said is totally and utterly meaningless I'm afraid. Because we lost . And the above can happen week in and week out but it means we go down.
Plucky losers go down. I said this first match of the season ironically against Spuds. BBC sport, sky can pat us on the head, patronise us, say there there all they like . That today is why I'm losing hope rapidly.

Oh and Engels. Please dont wear a villa shirt again . That was as bad as anything I have seen for a long while.
Norwich are attractive to watch. More attractive than us tbh. But they are going down because they too have inferior sub PL players like us. Unlike us they didn't spend a bloody fortune buying them.

Great game for the neutral, open play with shit defences. I thought we battled and fought hard, we looked fucked after 75 mins. I nearly said that we’d get caught at the back, but didn’t due to superstition - maybe I need to say it next time.

Drunkwaiter - the only negative for me in the starting line up, in terms of what DS could’ve picked. He’s terrible, even when he finds himself receiving the ball in 5 yards of pace he looks clumbersome. I don’t see what he adds that Marv doesn’t. He looks like a pub player to me, I don’t think he’d cut it in the championship.

Freddy - needs to get the other side of his man more often. Not a great defender so he needs to add value going forward. Too many times he gets the ball facing his man. If Targett can get around his man so can Freddy.

Samma - this lad has got something, he’s still getting used to the league but I was pleased with his link up play. He seems to be 5-10 yards from the other players linking up the play, unlike Wes who was 20 yards away and doing nothing.

Jack was class, as was Reina.

We could’ve scored 4-5 equally we could’ve conceded 6-7.

Mad game, enjoyable if it wasn’t for the final few minutes. But we won’t get any prizes for trying.

Last edited:
Samagoal looks decent. Yet......
A fcuking again I am watching us isolate a forward. When we have the ball in wide areas there is our forward alone and surrounded by defenders.

Smith. You are trying my patience now buddy.

I thought it was a lot better than watching us play with Wesley, I just wish we’d get the ball in the box slightly quicker so Samma can run onto it or get in front of the defender. Although he’s very strong, he isn’t going to win too many headers against 6ft+ centre halves.

I posted it a while ago, Engels doesn’t work in a 3 at the back because if you pull him wide we’re exposed as he has little pace - now we can’t change a formation for one player, but he’s a 4 at the back player all day long.

Haus’ distribution is poor and we need to improve on Hause as quickly as we can.

Konsa is a good footballer, need more leadership from him though.

We’re missing an Axel type at the back, someone who can sweep and coordinate a bit. It’s like pulling apart wrapping paper our defence sometimes. I’m not sure how the marking is instructed, when you have three lively and mobile players in Son, Moura and Alli who love about we were marking fresh air but keeping shape. I don’t know the right approach but you could see the amount of times Son getting around us they were going to score a couple today.

Last edited:
It's almost identical to how Brentford defended in Smith's time there, something he was criticised for. The problem isn't John Terry.

Think you're right about it not being JT. The style of defence is undoubtedly down to DS. He wants it played out from the back; that's the sort of team he wants to build. Terry was always prepared to hoof at critical moments. However JT could also play out from the back, but then he had a lot more experience and a lot more awareness than our current CBs; I think that's the critical issue. We can play ourselves into danger to close to our goal.

12 games to go, probably need 4 wins. Still doable. Play like this against a weaker team and with Mings back we have a decent chance. At least it's in our hands.

Quite a few last ditch tackles and we still concede 3 goals. We have to tighten the defence up, we are down if we don't.

We have to tighten the defence up, we are down if we don't.

I just can't see it happening though pvb, they have been poor for most of the season and I can't seem it all magically coming together as the pressure mounts.

I realise Chester had to move for his own career, but he would have been invaluable in a game like this.

But it was a penalty, so how can we moan? Right decision reached.

I didn’t think it was a penalty. Neither did the ref, linesman and players or crowd. Only thing the referee favoured us with. Spineless tosser never gave any yellow cards against the 10/12 fouls on Grealish. Once again targeted and tag teamed by opposition players.

I didn’t think it was a penalty. Neither did the ref, linesman and players or crowd. Only thing the referee favoured us with. Spineless tosser never gave any yellow cards against the 10/12 fouls on Grealish. Once again targeted and tag teamed by opposition players.

I admire your stubbornness but it was a stone wall pen. He slid in with the wrong leg didn't touch the ball and took the man.

How is that not a pen?

Back after finally calming down and there's a lot of positives to take from the overall performance and most definitely from the first half. Drinkwater for Nakamba was admittedly madness, but good play from Luiz, Guilbert at times, El Ghazi, Jack and Samatta. Reina class but we knew that.

I think all our CBs need some counselling after today. Konsa best but still made errors, Hause and Engels suicidal on a couple of occasions.

We have enough to stay up but we're well capable of scuttling our own ship as well. "Interesting" few weeks ahead.

Don't get the Drinkwater hate. Apart from a couple of sloppy moments early on I thought he was pretty good. Sooner have McGinn there but still.
He's sooooo slow though but that's on Smith for putting him there next to Luiz. DD should be next to Nakamba not instead of him.