All time top 11 - goalkeepers & defence | Page 7 | Vital Football

All time top 11 - goalkeepers & defence

For me, (and only for me!) I think Southgate and Ugo leaving for Boro, as much as I agree they were top defenders for us, kind of rules them out.

For me, (and only for me!) I think Southgate and Ugo leaving for Boro, as much as I agree they were top defenders for us, kind of rules them out.
Southgate & Ugo wre individually very good, also formed a quality partnership, but, agree that the way they left rules them out. Both of them said they wanted to go to a bigger club to better themselves & both went to the same smaller club.
I remember talking to some Boro fans ahead of a game when Southgate & Ugo first left us, I commented that as fans they must be thrilled at signing the pair of them, to my surprise they said they weren't exactly as they realised that both had simply gone there for the money, rather than a burning desire to join their club.

Great memories of Sleeuwenhoek, a stand out figure in that exciting young side of Mercer which heralded our first post-war revival. But he was a centre half.

The thing about Laursen and McGrath was that when they did play they were outstanding. And both have remained faithful to Villa. Of such things are legends made. They are legends.

John Sleeuwenhoek, even though he did move across the city.
Got a shout here for a player that was predominately a midfielder but, he often moved into the back line for us, I know he wasn't here too long but, here goes with Leighton Phillips.
God, of course.
Ken McNaught.
Chris Nichol.
Alan Evans.
Ian Ross.
Ugo Ehiogu.
Gareth Southgate.
I knew you or one of the other old timers would come up with John Sleeuenhoek. The first center half I remember.

For me its Paul Mc Grath. When you factor in his drink issues and the fact he came to us as over the hill due to the above and his injury problems and yet he turned in performances like he did week in week out, even on restricted training. Proper legend.

after reading these posts I was inspired to watch the 94 coca cola cup final again. Being in that stadium is far and away my best villa moment (so far!). What a save by Bosnich at 2-1. I think I was as tense watching ir tonight as I was all those years ago. Forgot how epic Tony Daley was as well. God I loved that team, cheers for taking me back vital villa!

The problem with straw polls like this is that it all depends on your age and when you started watching the Villa.

As a fan since 1974, Rimmer for me

McGrath.
Simply in a league of his own.

We've had a few decent centre halves but there are a number that you could choose as the 2nd centre half but all a bit too close to call

I hope Mr Fear is planning a similar series of “worst ever” lists.

We’ve had some dross all across the pitch but I reckon full back has been particularly well represented in this category

I think I used the same phrase Trekker lol.
Lynn,Stan the Wham,Giddy,Swain, Donkey, Barrett,Hutton. Lefties, Charlie,Gibbo, Staunton,Bouma, and FA Cup winner Peter Aldis, mostly because he played for Hay Green,one of the teams l played for along with the brilliant Johnny McNamara.