The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 74 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it will be a test of the new owners patience. If we are still in the bottom three at xmas will they pull the trigger or will they give him till the end of the season.

I hope we stick by him. Most of the performances have been good and he's saying all the things we are all thinking in post match about not wanting the players to sit back when we have the lead or a man advantage etc. His subs arent great because the options aren't great unless he starts using El ghazi as a sub which I think is the best option.

Trez did indeed have a very good game. Very much reminded me of Snoddy.

He must have been knackered and I suppose it is a big step up in pace from the Turkish league.

Game management was a criticism of Deano before he joined us - yesterday wasnt just game management but I am on my soap box about Davis for Wesley it should have happened as soon as we started to slide backwards after Wesley scored for us.

I do think we played well for a large period of the game but he didnt effect the game when he needed to. Jota actually might have been a better sub yesterday, we needed to keep the ball instead of thumping it clear at every opportunity.

I've calmed down a bit since yesterday, and thought about what I am going to say.
Here goes, this was the second time we've led away from home and finished on the losing side. obviously DS didn't learn anything from the first defeat. This was the second time we played against a team reduced to 10 men, and again we never changed our game plan. It make me think what would happen to us if they had a full team. Are our players fit ? I don't think they are, the last 20 minutes you see us start flagging, these a trained players who have been in training since July, and the still cant last 90 minutes. Arsenal yesterday, down to 10 men and they were out running us, makes you think don't it. Then we come to the subs, is there some rule that says Villa can't use subs till there's 5 minutes left. DS said he went to Spain to study Emery when he was doing his coaching course, lets hope he learnt something about when to play the subs yesterday. Why cant our players hit a ball with some power ? yesterday we should have scored 6, but the ball was hit with less power than a 10 year old could hit it. I could go on, but you know whats wrong, so I wont bore you. What I will say is this, Smith has until mid October to turn this round. Our owners are not going to put money into a club that are on a downward slide Come on Dean sort our club out, I want you to succeed.:utv::utv:

I've calmed down a bit since yesterday, and thought about what I am going to say.
Here goes, this was the second time we've led away from home and finished on the losing side. obviously DS didn't learn anything from the first defeat. This was the second time we played against a team reduced to 10 men, and again we never changed our game plan. It make me think what would happen to us if they had a full team. Are our players fit ? I don't think they are, the last 20 minutes you see us start flagging, these a trained players who have been in training since July, and the still cant last 90 minutes. Arsenal yesterday, down to 10 men and they were out running us, makes you think don't it. Then we come to the subs, is there some rule that says Villa can't use subs till there's 5 minutes left. DS said he went to Spain to study Emery when he was doing his coaching course, lets hope he learnt something about when to play the subs yesterday. Why cant our players hit a ball with some power ? yesterday we should have scored 6, but the ball was hit with less power than a 10 year old could hit it. I could go on, but you know whats wrong, so I wont bore you. What I will say is this, Smith has until mid October to turn this round. Our owners are not going to put money into a club that are on a downward slide Come on Dean sort our club out, I want you to succeed.:utv::utv:

(1) Our players can hit the ball with power. But not always. That's the way of it.

(2) A lot of teams tail off towards the end of a match. We're still capable of giving it a go in the last few minutes. Problem is more that concentration seems to lapse and our play breaks down a bit. Part of it is lack of experience, knowing how to manage things when things get tough.

(3) No way has Smith an October deadline. Or a new year deadline. The owners are probably expecting a rough ride this year and he'll be backed.

He's not immune to criticism - quite rightly - but we should try to stay calm and keep a positive vibe around the club. Yes there are issues to iron out but we've had truly rotten luck with refereeing decisions against Palace and Arsenal. We've given both Spurs and Arsenal big scares at their grounds, so we're not the relegation fodder of past years. Keep our nerve and it will come.

He's not immune to criticism - quite rightly - but we should try to stay calm and keep a positive vibe around the club. Yes there are issues to iron out but we've had truly rotten luck with refereeing decisions against Palace and Arsenal. We've given both Spurs and Arsenal big scares at their grounds, so we're not the relegation fodder of past years. Keep our nerve and it will come.

Good post.

We snuck up through the back door with a squad that was without doubt a championship squad, we only just beat West Brom who had a man sent off in both games, were forced to invest having to buy half a dozen new players if not more, and the fans on here think we should be challenging one top side and one very good side of the league above from day one, even away!

Referencing spurs away as a game where we should’ve done better to get something - which I’m now starting to see on here as things are turning bad - is ludicrous. We were probably off better getting smashed and not taking about it again.

I agree that he is not immune to criticism but it has to be constructive.
Cast your minds back to January this year when we lost away to Wigan and knee jerk responses emerged from some quarters. Dean Smith had new players that needed integrating into the team (notably Mings) and it took a while for things to click. We are seeing the integration of the current crop of new players and "things will click" again. We were not battered by the Gooners and for periods of the game we took it to them. What is required is a little more consistency and concentration (and the rub of the green) and we will be OK.
Dean Smith will get it sorted - again

Deano needs to learn some lessons and I’m sure he will.

The players also need to work on their mentality. The technical term is “grow a pair”.

Growing a pair applies to our last PL season. I don't think it applies to this. It takes a lot of courage and will to get the better for large parts of the away Arsenal and Spurs matches. Don't think the slumps were a lack of spirit.

Don't think the slumps were a lack of spirit.

Neither do I but it speaks to something about the players mental game, their quality or the coach. We see it all the time teams dropping deeper and deeper, inviting pressure and unable to regain control. It's straight up fear and decision making.

In times like that you're also only as strong as your weakest link and reliable players start to make mistakes trying to inject some calmness. Mings made a poor decision trying to instill a bit of calm into the team. Defeat look inevitable for a long time in that game and for me it can only be overconfidence from Deano to leave it.

Man achieved a miracle by getting promoted.
With so many changes to the squad a slow start was always a possibility.
Big step up for everyone for both the players/manager. Hopefully they all make that step and get away from the bottom as the season progresses.
Regardless, think Smith has earned the chance of the full season!

We look good at times. Been unfortunate on a few occasions with decisions I feel.
Always hurts more to lose from a winning position.
Still seen enough from us to remain optimistic that we'll improve with time and keep away from trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.