Cricket World Cup, 2019. | Page 14 | Vital Football

Cricket World Cup, 2019.

In such a tight game you look back at everything. Lmb is correct about the extras though I thought some were incredibly harsh. However I have to say I thought our fielding was excellent, saved numerous runs through commitment and I guess that small margin mattered. I can’t recall a misfield from us in that final. Santner also leaving their last ball - madness, ultimately that cost them as they didn’t even run a bye.

Will, you have your wish and Roy is in the Ashes squad. He seems to be a talisman and in the absence of any credible alternative I think it’s the right call, though I’m still not convinced he has the technique for tests. However his confidence should be sky high if nothing and there should be no fear of failure from him given Sunday’s events.

MiW, Roy made a misfield in the superover, running in off the boundary.

You’re right I forgot about that fumble. Pressure I guess. Made up for it though with the run out! In the main game the only error I recall was from Buttler toward the end when he failed to stop 4 wides off a poor woakes ball, though in fairness it spun sharply just in front of him. Overall our ground fielding in that final was superb, particularly from Bairstow as it was all tournament.

Good start to the T20 Blast from Lancashire. Maxwell is such a valuable player to have in the T20 format. It's a shame about the Livingstone injury because I personally think he's our best T20 batsman (other than Buttler when he's there) but Croft (Lancs legend imo) came in and seemingly did a good job in the opener's position, continuing his form from the RL One-Day Cup into the Blast.

Things looking good.

Last edited:
What would be your World Cup best XI? For me it would be...

Overall:

Roy
Sharma
Williamson
Al Hasan
Stokes
Carey
Woakes
Starc
Archer/Boult/Tahir (could be any of those tbh)
Ferguson
Bumrah

Then a 'most disappointing' XI - players which I'd expect more from but who failed to deliver:

Guptill
Gayle
Amla
du Plessis
Morgan
Russell
Latham
Moeen
Rabada
Kuldeep
Ngidi

Last edited:
It was great to see little young New Zealand WIN the World Cup, just a shame they couldn't take the pot with them. For them to do that the sponsors would have been unhappy.

NZ clearly won by 1 run - that 6 should have been 5. Added to that they got all the England players out, where as England only got 8 of them out. Much better bowling by NZ.

NZ do do well in sport, eh. A population of 4 million. 2 million males. 1.5 million are either too young, too old, or aren't interested in sport. .4 million aren't good enough. That leaves 15 cricket players, 20 rugby players, 15 footballers, 20 rugby league players. Must make selection very easy.

..................NZ clearly won by 1 run - that 6 should have been 5. Added to that they got all the England players out, where as England only got 8 of them out. ................

Two things IHAC:

- Rightly or wrongly, the Umpires gave the overthrows as 6. Actually, I hear that Stokes queried it. Regardless, that then set Stokes a target off the last ball. Ironically, as it was a full toss on leg, he could probably have (easily) hit it for 4 or 6. But, he knew that a single tied the game, and a two won it. He played the %s. If he'd have needed two to win (as a result of only getting a 5), he may well have played a more adventurous shot.......and won the game.

- Wickets didn't count. That was in the rules. It was purely down to "regulation time" boundaries.

NZ played excellently, but unfortunately (for them), weren't victorious.

Two things IHAC:

- Rightly or wrongly, the Umpires gave the overthrows as 6. Actually, I hear that Stokes queried it. Regardless, that then set Stokes a target off the last ball. Ironically, as it was a full toss on leg, he could probably have (easily) hit it for 4 or 6. But, he knew that a single tied the game, and a two won it. He played the %s. If he'd have needed two to win (as a result of only getting a 5), he may well have played a more adventurous shot.......and won the game.

- Wickets didn't count. That was in the rules. It was purely down to "regulation time" boundaries.

NZ played excellently, but unfortunately (for them), weren't victorious.

Exactly my thoughts, Moonay. Even Kane Williamson said afterwards that the overthrows probably didn't decide the match. Plus, England weren't the only ones to benefit from some questionable ICC rules in the tournament. Ironically, the very reason why New Zealand were there is because of the 'net run rate' rule, where the team with the highest NRR goes through (they were on a joint amount of points with Pakistan). You could say this isn't a fair way of deciding who goes through because NRR is affected by washouts, etc. Regardless, both teams were fully aware of the rules in this match, and England thoroughly deserved the trophy.

Oh I don't know. Itinerant and peripatetic. Born in Uganda, educated in UK, lived in NZ for 13 years and just renewed my kiwi passport. Identity crisis - you decide!

To both Will and Moonay ....... The rules were wrong!! And Stokes is a kiwi!!

Rules aren't right or wrong IHAC. They're just rules. That's all. You know 'em before the start of the game. They don't change part way through.

Oh, and I think if you ask Mr Stokes his nationality, I suspect you' might find that he'd disagree with you. Granted, his parents are kiwis mind.
;)

Yes Will...I have been telling all and sundry its Friday the 6th of Sept. My son now informs me its Sat. the 7th which is the 4th day...cant bloody wait.

Ah well, that makes me feel a little better about my own blunder! Don't know if you remember but I told you I was going to the Ageas? Turns out that was for another game and I'm actually going to the match at Old Trafford too for 3 days, one of which is the same as when you're going, I think. Let's hope it's a great game!

Oh I don't know. Itinerant and peripatetic. Born in Uganda, educated in UK, lived in NZ for 13 years and just renewed my kiwi passport. Identity crisis - you decide!

What an interesting life! You've made me feel boring now haha ;). I have a similar situation in a way (but on a much smaller scale). Was born in Lancashire but have grown up in Sheffield so I get a bit of stick for supporting the Red Rose.

What an interesting life! You've made me feel boring now haha ;). I was born in Lancashire but have grown up in Sheffield so I get a bit of stick for supporting the Red Rose.

Will - I'm amongst the luckiest people in the world .... I've done lots, seen lots, had a range of jobs and had a stack of fun. I hated with a vengeance going to boarding school, and had a couple of hiccups on my journey - but the fun and interest out weighs the hiccups. I'm guessing though that I have about 35 - 40 years on you to fill by sack of memories. Yours is filling up; it's not boring at all - just different.