The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 90 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

Edens to sanction.

GK, CB, DM and 2nd ST (spine) are key.

P.S. Hate these piddly touch screen phones - send your message before you have finished. Behave!

Heaton still has 12 months left on his contract, he isn’t a free agent and I can’t imagine Burnley will voluntarily sell an England international keeper for free. He’d still cost a lot, probably still much cheaper than Butland though. He’d be a good signing if he’s available in my opinion.

i no that wolves sold hause because he didnt cut it in the wolves side .yes he played quite well for us but can he do it aginst world class strikers
seems smith is putting together a top championship team incase we go strait back down
Dean Smith bought players in at Brentford for a pittance that now are prem quality players, that's what he's good at. You dont need to spend 20 million for a player just because we are in the prem. you just need a good manager who knows what he's doing,that's exactly what we have, so trust him.

Heaton isn't available on a free until next season and in terms of ageing keepers, I think Freidel was a rare case. Given didn't work out too well for us.

20m for Butland is peanuts. He's better than Pickford and if he plays well and forces his way into the England XI for the euros you can nearly triple that 20m in two years time.
agree re keepers ages; some can keep going until late 30’s or up to 40, although most keepers decline mid 30’s. Looking at the premier league keepers from last season the oldest first choice was Foster, 36, who was a few years older than the next eldest. In fact out of the goalies who played more than 20 games over half where still in their 20’s.

Heaton would certainly be a good option for 2 or 3 years but beyond that it’s a bit of a gamble. Butland would be a better long term option although if Heaton is half the price or even cheaper he’d surely be under consideration

agree re keepers ages; some can keep going until late 30’s or up to 40, although most keepers decline mid 30’s. Looking at the premier league keepers from last season the oldest first choice was Foster, 36, who was a few years older than the next eldest. In fact out of the goalies who played more than 20 games over half where still in their 20’s.

Heaton would certainly be a good option for 2 or 3 years but beyond that it’s a bit of a gamble. Butland would be a better long term option although if Heaton is half the price or even cheaper he’d surely be under consideration
And we might be in for another keeper, or no keeper at all. I'll just watch this space.

Perhaps we are signing good players below their market value. Isn't that what we all wanted - to stop wasting money on over hyped, over the hill players?

That's the mandate of Smith and Purslow.
Agree we need to spend smartly. Although equally there is a fine line between buying cheap bargains and buying cheap duds, and it will be a difficult task for the club to ensue they stay on the right side of it.

We tried the hidden gem tactic under Lambert and it didn’t work, albeit on a much more restricted budget, which shows the dangers of hoping lower league players can cope in the prem.

The premier league is an intense league and is a much higher quality than the championship. Every team has top class international quality players. Whilst there are undoubtedly some quality players in the championship who may be cheaper due to a lack of premier league experience, there is a gulf in class between the 2 divisions which needs to be respected and understood in the summer’s transfer strategy

For me personally I wouldn’t mind taking a risk on players like Benrahma or Maupay but this should be balanced out with more experienced players e.g. Cahill or Jay Rodriguez who has prem experience along with players who have excelled in top European leagues which would be classed as above championship level

Agree we need to spend smartly. Although equally there is a fine line between buying cheap bargains and buying cheap duds, and it will be a difficult task for the club to ensue they stay on the right side of it.

We tried the hidden gem tactic under Lambert and it didn’t work, albeit on a much more restricted budget, which shows the dangers of hoping lower league players can cope in the prem.

The premier league is an intense league and is a much higher quality than the championship. Every team has top class international quality players. Whilst there are undoubtedly some quality players in the championship who may be cheaper due to a lack of premier league experience, there is a gulf in class between the 2 divisions which needs to be respected and understood in the summer’s transfer strategy

For me personally I wouldn’t mind taking a risk on players like Benrahma or Maupay but this should be balanced out with more experienced players e.g. Cahill or Jay Rodriguez who has prem experience along with players who have excelled in top European leagues which would be classed as above championship level
I agree with most of the points made here as they are really well argued.
The point I would make to counter some of the arguments made here and in other posts is "who was our best player last season?" Everyone agrees - and the player of the season awards show - that it was John McGinn. No one suggests that SJM will be out place in the PL and football writers and pundits are saying that he would not struggle to get into the top six sides. Where did he come from and how much did he cost? It was not £50m from Juve or Barca. Is he as good as Pogba who is being touted for £150m and was last sold for £90m. I think that he is as good as Pogba in his all round game and with his attitude.
Getting the best out of 'good' players is the way forward and Dean Smith has proved that he is capable of doing that.

I agree with most of the points made here as they are really well argued.
The point I would make to counter some of the arguments made here and in other posts is "who was our best player last season?" Everyone agrees - and the player of the season awards show - that it was John McGinn. No one suggests that SJM will be out place in the PL and football writers and pundits are saying that he would not struggle to get into the top six sides. Where did he come from and how much did he cost? It was not £50m from Juve or Barca. Is he as good as Pogba who is being touted for £150m and was last sold for £90m. I think that he is as good as Pogba in his all round game and with his attitude.
Getting the best out of 'good' players is the way forward and Dean Smith has proved that he is capable of doing that.

Certain fact if you were in the trenches you'd want John McGinn in there with you not a fanny like Pogba

I'm not understanding all this hatred towards Championship players. The difference in quality between the top half of the championship and bottom half of the premiership is tiny, in fact I'd say the championship top six last season was stronger than the bottom six of the premiership.

Poaching the "players of the years" and the best of the best from the championship appeals to me a lot more than throwing money at a load of players from various foreign leagues and hoping they all get on, enjoy life in England, know the language and play well together weeks after meeting each other.

Buying the best of the league lower and relegated clubs or is what we have done for years. We have picked up some good players from there.

We have also picked up some real bargains from the lower leagues when you look back to Shaun Teale, David Platt etc. Indirectly Ian Taylor.

It’s about spotting the potential and seeing whether these guys can make the step up.

It doesn’t always work. For every Jamie Vardy that is found there’s probably 20+ Michael Bouldings. Same with foreign buys.
For every Benteke there’s 20+ Tonevs.

The transfer market is a minefield.

I like McGinn (as do many others), but we have to take off our claret and blue specs for a moment.

I've seen him look unstoppable and I've seen him bypassed, he's not even the first name on the team sheet for Scotland. He is a very good championship player (proven!), will he stand out in the PL? (not proven).

Time will tell how good he and the team that is being assembled are. My personal beleif is that he will benefit from having better players around him, he wasn't able to change our poor run of form by himself, he needed Grealish with him.

Let's not get carried away with players and signings before they prove they can compete - everyone thought Micah Richards and Jolean Lescott were solid signings prior to 2015 (didn't work out that way).

Love the optimism on the site, but we've achieved squat before the season starts. Yes we have a new ethos and management team, which is cause for optimism, but let's look at the recruitment objectively and realistically. I expect a tough season ahead and my only wish at this stage is to compete.

I like McGinn (as do many others), but we have to take off our claret and blue specs for a moment.

I've seen him look unstoppable and I've seen him bypassed, he's not even the first name on the team sheet for Scotland. He is a very good championship player (proven!), will he stand out in the PL? (not proven).

Time will tell how good he and the team that is being assembled are. My personal beleif is that he will benefit from having better players around him, he wasn't able to change our poor run of form by himself, he needed Grealish with him.

Let's not get carried away with players and signings before they prove they can compete - everyone thought Micah Richards and Jolean Lescott were solid signings prior to 2015 (didn't work out that way).

Love the optimism on the site, but we've achieved squat before the season starts. Yes we have a new ethos and management team, which is cause for optimism, but let's look at the recruitment objectively and realistically. I expect a tough season ahead and my only wish at this stage is to compete.

He struggled again the baggies and the media gave him MOTM .

Like I said the other day , the day will come when SJM is on our bench and then we know we have cracked it .
That's not a slight on John it how it has to be at some point , not just yet but sometime in the next year or so

I'm bored it's ages since we signed a new player

Nothing much going on in the gossip either. Marvelous's mates believe a deal is in the works and QPR want Hogan but don't want to pay his wages which, as an employer, I can fully sympathise with.

Nothing much going on in the gossip either. Marvelous's mates believe a deal is in the works and QPR want Hogan but don't want to pay his wages which, as an employer, I can fully sympathise with.

That's another problem we face off loading players like Hogan Taylor Lansbury Elmo etc to the championship not many clubs will afford the silly wages they are on at Villa

I would imagine as we speak Purslow is negotiating at least a couple of deals and they just don't happen overnight.

I was on the train back from London last night and sitting in the next row was a football agent talking to his boss about a player who looked to be signing for Norwich. We do forget that there's more to a transfer than just agreeing the fee. He was talking about finding his client things like suitable accommodation etc.

What was interesting though he said his client (who I didn't get the name of) wanted to go to Norwich as they had made him feel more welcome than the other club and gave him the impression they cared more.