Tom Eaves (just conjecture) | Vital Football

Tom Eaves (just conjecture)

Buddha

Vital Football Hero
These signings are certainly very exciting, particularly this young Williock. Apparently there are more still to come as well.

I wonder if a there is also a buzz of excitement amongst the group of players we still have under contract. And if there is some excitement and anticipation is it too much a stretch of the imagination to think that big Tom might yet be convinced to stay for another year and help the team really go for promotion?!

I'm sure that much of that would depend on what other options he has. Sure, if he's been offered a much bigger wage elsewhere, or just a slightly bigger wage at a far more illustrious club, then that's unlikely. But, he has already stated how his time at Gillingham has been the best time if his life, and if he's not had any really offers that much better than ours, maybe, just maybe he could be convinced to hang around for another season. The incentive being to become a Championship player with a club and fans who he at least appeared to fall in love with...

But then of course, perhaps Steve Evans has different plans and Eaves doesn't feature in them anyway...

Question to the gamblers out there. Have our odds improved since these signings or do the bookies still have us as down as relegation favourites?

And now I see Phil's post on other thread!

Sorry Phil! That's two apologies in three posts, I'm giving up!

We are still apparently 3rd or 4th “favourites” to get relegated.

As for Tom, I’ve been hoping the same as you Buddha. But I’m not holding my breath. Being a freebie means bigger clubs can probably offer him waaay more than us. Especially if we have had to pay decent wages to Willock, O’Keefe etc.

Now, can we maybe discuss something to do with racism or brexit? Where’s Wayne to tell you your opinion is shite and go look up some stats yourself?

I thought he was going to train with Charlton or was that just rumour?

They have released Parker who played in the play off final so there is a vacancy up front with an already Championship club and if Tom is already living in this area, it will still be local.

I know Charlton do not have a lot of money and the owner is trying to sell but I still suspect that at Tom's age they will still be more attractive if they like the look of him.

If Eaves stays, it is because no Championship side will gamble on him and the league one sides that offer a contract won't be the likes of Ipswich who will be one of the major favourites for automatic promotion.

Since Evans will be bringing in these players with the expectation that Eaves is going, it might be better if Eaves does go as the system Evans is signing new players for probably doesn't include a non-pacy targetman like Eaves up top.

Edit: I removed.the word carthorse and replaced it with "targetman" since even allowing for a slight exaggeration in my phrasing, people are translating the comparison in a way not intended.

Last edited:
I thought he was going to train with Charlton or was that just rumour?

They have released Parker who played in the play off final so there is a vacancy up front with an already Championship club and if Tom is already living in this area, it will still be local.

I know Charlton do not have a lot of money and the owner is trying to sell but I still suspect that at Tom's age they will still be more attractive if they like the look of him.

I think there was an article from Charlton where they said he wasn’t training with them it was all rumour.

I don’t believe them tho. But I can’t help wondering why a player with Toms record needs to be “trialling” with anyone?

If Eaves stays, it is because no Championship side will gamble on him and the league one sides that offer a contract won't be the likes of Ipswich who will be one of the major favourites for automatic promotion.

Since Evans will be bringing in these players with the expectation that Eaves is going, it might be better if Eaves does go as the system Evans is signing new players for probably doesn't include a slow Carthorse like Eaves up top.
You really are an opinionated tosser - a slow carthorse, my arse

Are players training at this time of year? You'd have thought they'd be on their hols, and having a nice rest from the seasons work.
Would love it if Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaves stayed, he got me a lot of points in the prediction league last season!

Given that it appears that Tom has not had any firm offers yet, I'd like to think that he may consider his contract offer given the new buzz around the club.
You never know.

When he made his debut for us he was industrious but somewhat unimpressive, but then, he was a player used to loan spells and seemingly devoid of confidence. Big Tom soon changed our minds though, didn`t he ! What you get with today`s Tom Eaves is 100% effort and a player who, having been given an extended run, has confidence which has seen him evolve into a quality centre forward - IMO, our best forward in a long, long time.

There`s no way he`s a "carthorse" and I`d be delighted if he stayed. On the other hand he has earned a move up the ladder, whether that be divisional or pay grade, or both, and I shall always wish him well. The transition we saw makes him a Gills legend in my book.

Agree, SE has been talking like Eaves has already made his mind up.

Charlton could be announcing today that Lee Bowyer won’t be getting a new contract, so I’m guessing their Summer is all up in the air.

Agree with Wayne. Think Eaves is deceptively quick.

He is quicker than a player his size should he but compared with other strikers like List, Hanlan, Charles-Cook and previously Parker to a lesser extent then he is not quick. He isn't slow but he doesn't have the sort of pace players have when people are described as quick. I can't think of many occasions when he has outpaced the opposition's defense and gone one on one with the keeper.

To everyone else who objected to my use of the word "carthorse", I meant it in the context that if Evans is looking to sign a load of quick, mobile players and play a system of outpacing and out moving the opposition then for all Eaves's skills he won't fit into such a system. The moment the ball goes to Eaves then the momentum would be lost.

Eaves is someone you set your system up to supply. Evans has buying players to create a system that excludes a player like Eaves.

Can you imagine if we kept hold of Tom and also signed Agard? ?

Hope not. It'd make it more difficult for Hanlan to get in the team, and with the way he finished last season, I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops this coming season. I think we only need a new striker if Eaves leaves, otherwise I'd be happy to stick with what we've got up front.