Diego Maradona documentary | Page 2 | Vital Football

Diego Maradona documentary

I never mentioned morality, just the man's inability to fulfil a full length career at the very height of his ability, as the four I mentioned above did
I guess you could use the analogy of trying to compare the greatest writer or something. If someone wrote one great novel, are they as good as somone who wrote multiple great novels over a period of time. Jk rowlings books other than harry potter are generally weak, for example.

I guess you could use the analogy of trying to compare the greatest writer or something. If someone wrote one gre hiat novel, are they as good as somone who wrote multiple great novels over a period of time. Jk rowlings books other than harry potter are generally weak, for example.

That ain't a bad analogy, AK, and I get what you're saying (and it certainly works better than talking about 'one hit wonder' musicians or bands) but I really don't think Maradona could ever be considered as such. He proved time and time again his brilliance.

I think nobs is wrong, or maybe just misinformed, about how long and how successful Maradona's career was.

He broke records in Argentina as a youth. He succeeded at Barcelona despite health problems (not to do with drugs) and injury (due to a horrific challenge, the likes of which Messi and Ronaldo have no experience of cos of rule changes). After that he achieved amazing things at Napoli, breaking the monoply of Juve and the Milan clubs. His career continued long after that too. I've not even mentioned what he did with his national side, and I reckon that's what most in this country at least, know him for.

That ain't a bad analogy, AK, and I get what you're saying (and it certainly works better than talking about 'one hit wonder' musicians or bands) but I really don't think Maradona could ever be considered as such. He proved time and time again his brilliance.

I think nobs is wrong, or maybe just misinformed, about how long and how successful Maradona's career was.

He broke records in Argentina as a youth. He succeeded at Barcelona despite health problems (not to do with drugs) and injury (due to a horrific challenge, the likes of which Messi and Ronaldo have no experience of cos of rule changes). After that he achieved amazing things at Napoli, breaking the monoply of Juve and the Milan clubs. His career continued long after that too. I've not even mentioned what he did with his national side, and I reckon that's what most in this country at least, know him for.
Indeed. I certainly dont think anyones saying maradonna was a one season wonder or anything close. Although Ronaldo and messis record and longevity at the top level is something that definitely goes in their favour vs anyone else.

1) Who on their day would be the better player?
2) Who was the most successful player?

Are two different ways of judging who was the better player. Hence why people will always disagree on these things.

1) Who on their day would be the better player?
From what I've seen since the '58 World Cup both players have been on a par
2) Who was the most successful player?
How do you measure success? Pele has won three WCs and Maradona 2, although in Chile I don't think he played in the knockout stages due to injury. Pele scored over a thousand goals, including friendlies such as the match I saw when Santos played at Villa in the 60s. Pele was primarily a one-club player; whereas, Maradona played at the highest level in Europe and won things.

Ultimately, it's like comparing apples and pears. Rodney Green and Peter Feely were two of my favourite Gills' strikers but I doubt they're not on anyone else's list.

Ultimately, it's like comparing apples and pears. Rodney Green and Peter Feely were two of my favourite Gills' strikers but I doubt they're not on anyone else's list.

I too loved Peter Feeley. He was like a breath of fresh air when he joined late that first season. Got quite a few goals too. Pity he was only with us for about a year all up. Maybe less.

Maybe a better way of putting it is this.
Ask a sample of the general public what they remember of Pele or Cruyff and they'll say "great footballer".
Ask the same about Maradonna, Gazza or Best and they'll say "great player but........." .
I personally think those three never fulfilled they're brilliant potential as all round players due to their careers being curtailed.
As I've stipulated, just my opinion and football is all about opinions, to say anyone's opinion is wrong is a little arrogant as it implies yours must be right, or am I wrong?

Maybe a better way of putting it is this.
Ask a sample of the general public what they remember of Pele or Cruyff and they'll say "great footballer".
Ask the same about Maradonna, Gazza or Best and they'll say "great player but........." .
I personally think those three never fulfilled they're brilliant potential as all round players due to their careers being curtailed.
As I've stipulated, just my opinion and football is all about opinions, to say anyone's opinion is wrong is a little arrogant as it implies yours must be right, or am I wrong?

Agree with that, nobs.

Maybe it's because of the 'but' that I'm more drawn to Maradona, Gazza and Best than I am Cryuff and Pele!