The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread | Page 46 | Vital Football

The Official Summer Transfer Window Thread

I think Mings problems at Bournemouth primarily come down to his injury problems. Whilst he’s been out they have simply moved on to other players, like Ake. Manager doesn’t trust his injury record, which is fair enough. I think the loan was to see if he could remain fit with a view to potentially bringing him back rather than just trying to ship him out. That’s why our option on him is only an option to match other offers instead of a pre agreed buyout fee

I think we might be hanging back on signings until we can announce Mings , just to get us in the mood sort of thing.

:lol:

This is my favourite part of every transfer window. The speculation that starts suggesting we are 'holding back signings' for a variety of reasons.

My favourite was a few years back when we were holding back 4 or 5 massive signings (including Wesley Sneijder obviously), so they could all be unveiled at the kit launch... that rumour actually got some traction too.

In the end we launched a kit. And I think possibly signed Marlon Harewood a few days later.

A plastic Scouser mate of mine reckons we are after Alberto Moreno. I thought he was pulling my plonker at first but just checked and he's only 26 and about to be out of contract. He wasn't quite good enough for a team pushing for the title, but we aren't at that level yet. I suppose it would come down to wage demands again if true

A plastic Scouser mate of mine reckons we are after Alberto Moreno. I thought he was pulling my plonker at first but just checked and he's only 26 and about to be out of contract. He wasn't quite good enough for a team pushing for the title, but we aren't at that level yet. I suppose it would come down to wage demands again if true
Perhaps one to look at, haven’t read any specific rumours we are after him apart from your comment. Not sure how good he is, can’t be bad if he’s been at Liverpool for several years although he hasn’t played a massive amount.

The last full back we signed who came from Liverpool was Aly Cissokho

double swoop eh with Sturridge -
moreno alway looked a total liability everytime I've seen the dippers play when he could get in the team that is.
we nabbed Tiago Ilori from them and he was there years as well - so erm must have been good ?

double swoop eh with Sturridge -
moreno alway looked a total liability everytime I've seen the dippers play when he could get in the team that is.
we nabbed Tiago Ilori from them and he was there years as well - so erm must have been good ?

I was was thinking the other day , how good are Liverpool really when 33 year old James Milner and Henderson still get regular games for them . It doesn't say a lot for the fringe players . This is after all the best side in Europe now . I'd back John McGinn is better than either of those two

Milner and Henderson are both quality though.

Just goes to show that guys in their 30's are still a useful commodity even if we all seem to be turning our noses up at them.

Perhaps one to look at, haven’t read any specific rumours we are after him apart from your comment. Not sure how good he is, can’t be bad if he’s been at Liverpool for several years although he hasn’t played a massive amount.

The last full back we signed who came from Liverpool was Aly Cissokho

It could well be bollox, I have no idea. I think he was a regular before they got Robertson in and to be fair he's turned into one of the best LB's in Europe, so he isn't displacing him anytime soon. I was surprised he is only 26, thought he was in his 30's

Just goes to show that guys in their 30's are still a useful commodity even if we all seem to be turning our noses up at them.

I love Milner and would have him back in a flash but he shouldn't be anywhere near a team winning the champions league . Henderson I've always thought was related to a crab .
I think we will have to bring in a couple of quality older players despite all the talk from Purslow , He talks the talk I'll give him that

I think Mings problems at Bournemouth primarily come down to his injury problems. Whilst he’s been out they have simply moved on to other players, like Ake. Manager doesn’t trust his injury record, which is fair enough. I think the loan was to see if he could remain fit with a view to potentially bringing him back rather than just trying to ship him out. That’s why our option on him is only an option to match other offers instead of a pre agreed buyout fee

Mings was bought as a leftback by Bournemouth but, the injury he had meant that position put too much pressure on the injury, that is why he wanted to move into a central defensive spot. Bournemouth are well covered in central defence and I can't see Mings being happy playing fourth choice. As for Ake, he's been at Bournemouth a lot longer than Mings. Don't forget Ake was at Bournemouth, on loan from Chelsea, for a couple of years before signing for them fulltime.

Mings was bought as a leftback by Bournemouth but, the injury he had meant that position put too much pressure on the injury, that is why he wanted to move into a central defensive spot. Bournemouth are well covered in central defence and I can't see Mings being happy playing fourth choice. As for Ake, he's been at Bournemouth a lot longer than Mings. Don't forget Ake was at Bournemouth, on loan from Chelsea, for a couple of years before signing for them fulltime.

He was bought to be a centre-back long-term. That was always the plan for him. He was learning his trade as a full-back. It suited Bournemouth at the time as gave them cover for Daniels who had earned his opportunity to be first choice left-back for them following promotion.

Ake hasn't been there longer. Mings joined on 26 June 2015, Ake arrived (on loan at first for 6 months) on 29 June 2016.

I agree though, Mings at the age of 26 won't want to be behind the queue of defenders they now have.

Some guys in their mid 30's, even late 30's can still cut the mustard but, only a few and just because a few can do it, it doesn't mean they all can.
With Milner I can see him playing into his late 30's, depending on injuries, simply because he's never been the fastest thing on two feet, has always had a brain and he's always kept himself fit.

I was watching the Tifo podcast about us earlier today. It's interesting how outsiders see us.

They are happy we are back in the big time. I suspect they feel that the PL brand is diminished by clubs like Huddersfield.

They are suggesting players like Cahill and Rondon for us. I don't think they understand Deano's strategy at all.

They are very concerned that what's left of our squad is so small. I think that's a fair concern. I trust that Deano is getting this sorted as we speak.

He's probably only worth half what Forest want, but you cant blame them for asking over the odds. We were all doing it with Jack last Summer.
Personally I'm not convinced he'd be good enough, at PL level, Huddersfield got shot of him pretty quick. We could probably get Bowen from Hull for a similar fee.

Soft embargo is bollocks, Sheff W were under one all season and signed players in August and January, including deadline day I believe.

It's code for EFL take a second look before passing registrations.

That's probably what I meant Mike, we can't just announce signings without the EFL giving them the ok. We really must have been sailing close to the wind on FFP.