WBA after DC | Page 38 | Vital Football

WBA after DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Restores ones faith in the Great British press, NOT! Print 1st ask questions later.

I don't see why you think that's what has happened. As much as some would love it to be the case, news journalists don't print whatever they feel like, or else they'd be out of a job pretty quickly and Ipso'd before they could say "I'll never get another job, and if I do, it'll probably be in PR".

The PA guy has clearly spoken to people at West Brom. What they told him and what Lincoln City have said since is certainly at odds, but I don't see any reason to discount one because of the other.

All anyone needs to know about Duncan Bayes is that he thought the appointment of CN as chairman was a very bad move. If that doesn’t speak volumes about his football knowledge and overall opinion I don’t know what does.

I don't see why you think that's what has happened. As much as some would love it to be the case, news journalists don't print whatever they feel like, or else they'd be out of a job pretty quickly and Ipso'd before they could say "I'll never get another job, and if I do, it'll probably be in PR".

The PA guy has clearly spoken to people at West Brom. What they told him and what Lincoln City have said since is certainly at odds, but I don't see any reason to discount one because of the other.

Well the two things are not necessarily at odds.
There could indeed have been no official approach, but as that Express & Star report said, West Brom could have made unofficial contacts with Danny's agent for example and would only make an official approach if they decided that Danny was their choice.
Such an approach could still come...
Until they have appointed a new manager and it isn't Danny then we can still remain in whatever level of panic mode suits each of us best ?

Are you that naïve? Its a local hack try to worm his insidious way up the greasy pole of pulp fiction!

Are you that naïve? Its a local hack try to worm his insidious way up the greasy pole of pulp fiction!

Not sure I buy that at all. I reckon there would be better ways to climb up that pole than entirely making up that someone at West Brom spoke to the Lincoln manager... If its all bollocks then doesn't exactly advance you does it, especially as that's not a story making a huge splash nationally

This, from the expressandstar journo (West Brom local one, tends to be reliable by the looks), fits with my hypothesis that there hasn't been an 'official' approach but some sort of contact:

As I said previously this person clearly knows nothing about the Cowleys! Do you really think they are the type of people to talk to another club behind Lincoln's back because I don't!

It seems to be journo's wriggling and thinking they can tar the Cowleys with the same brush as most other people in football.

Danny and Nicky would only do things the morally correct way imo! There commitment to Lincoln and the way they conduct themselves shows that.

As I said previously this person clearly knows nothing about the Cowleys! Do you really think they are the type of people to talk to another club behind Lincoln's back because I don't!

It seems to be journo's wriggling and thinking they can tar the Cowleys with the same brush as most other people in football.

Danny and Nicky would only do things the morally correct way imo! There commitment to Lincoln and the way they conduct themselves shows that.

Do you reckon Clive spoke to the Cowleys or anyone at Braintree before we made an official approach and hired them, or went formally straight away with an official, in the press approach having no idea what either of them are like personally or if they'd be interested......

Not sure I buy that at all. I reckon there would be better ways to climb up that pole than entirely making up that someone at West Brom spoke to the Lincoln manager... If its all bollocks then doesn't exactly advance you does it, especially as that's not a story making a huge splash nationally

If a journo gets it wrong, the apology is the size of the page No and about as long. Many a journo has made it up the greasy pole by getting it wrong as right. After all its about getting noticed after all.

Do you reckon Clive spoke to the Cowleys or anyone at Braintree before we made an official approach and hired them, or went formally straight away with an official, in the press approach having no idea what either of them are like personally or if they'd be interested......

Yes I am pretty sure we did approach Braintree before we spoke to them, I seem to remember a point being made of that.

What I also think is that Clive and the board would have sounded out Danny and Nicky about such an approach before they put out that statement.

So it could be as simple as WBA made an approach directly to them and DC/NC said thanks but no thanks.

If a journo gets it wrong, the apology is the size of the page No and about as long. Many a journo has made it up the greasy pole by getting it wrong as right. After all its about getting noticed after all.

Yeah and my point is that this isn't an outstandingly useful way of getting noticed and is still entirely believable. I'd think different if all parties denied any contact had been made, as opposed to saying there hasn't been an official approach!

Yes I am pretty sure we did approach Braintree before we spoke to them, I seem to remember a point being made of that.

What I also think is that Clive and the board would have sounded out Danny and Nicky about such an approach before they put out that statement.

So it could be as simple as WBA made an approach directly to them and DC/NC said thanks but no thanks.

And they'd just say no thanks without wanting to hear any detail of anything. What if the owners said you'll have the biggest budget in the championship and 200m to spend in your first season in the premier League if you get there?

I just don't believe it would be that simple .

And they'd just say no thanks without wanting to hear any detail of anything. What if the owners said you'll have the biggest budget in the championship and 200m to spend in your first season in the premier League if you get there?

I just don't believe it would be that simple .

Because I like to believe that there are other people in the world like me who value other things in work life other than just money!

I have had ample opportunities to upsticks and get a much higher salary than I have now but it would have meant uprooting to a big City. But as long as you have enough to do the fundamental things that you like and have a good standard of living it is sometimes more about quality of life and happiness. I really like my job and I like where I work and the people I work for. All the cash in the world doesn't necessarily make you happy.

Maybe it's not just that simple but not all people in the football world are the same and while they feel they can progress us maybe they are happy to stay put.

Because I like to believe that there are other people in the world like me who value other things in work life other than just money!

I have had ample opportunities to upsticks and get a much higher salary than I have now but it would have meant uprooting to a big City. But as long as you have enough to do the fundamental things that you like and have a good standard of living it is sometimes more about quality of life and happiness. I really like my job and I like where I work and the people I work for. All the cash in the world doesn't necessarily make you happy.

Maybe it's not just that simple but not all people in the football world are the same and while they feel they can progress us maybe they are happy to stay put.

I agree with this and I'm not saying that they won't decide not to leave, and they clearly have a good thing going here.

My point is there is absolutely no way every club conducts an official approach for a manager every time they think they might have a passing interest in them. Every managerial search would take a year, messing around formally approaching the club and getting them to interview only to find they wouldn't accept the budget or want more a week. There's definitely some sort of sounding out process.

Plus you can't really argue the Cowleys aren't ambitious. I wasn't even talking about the money they'd get, but what they'd have to spend and continue their career development...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.