Aston Villa vs Millwall Match Thread Mon 22nd April 1pm. | Page 10 | Vital Football

Aston Villa vs Millwall Match Thread Mon 22nd April 1pm.

Interesting outfit for the football :eek!:Wondered why Jack looked a bit distracted, understandable if he had to show her the ropes so to speak:p. I can confirm that my daughter's will be wearing something a little more appropriate when they attend.

That said, I can remember attending the odd night match in my pulling threads back in the day. o_O

Last edited:
Think Davis needs to work on his finishing, but his overall play is good I think he’s a good option to come off the bench he’s a bit unlucky to not have played more. I think Kodjia is a frustrating player I’d have to pick him ahead of Davis because he can score goals

What's our deal with Bournemouth for Mings? We get to match the highest offer or something like that? To see him thumping the crest every week and his reaction at the final whistle after he was sent off, surely he's happy to stay? The lad is beast.

Don't know.....

I think the next month (inc. the last three games) are absolutely crucial to Kienan's future, and for me, he isn't taking that chance - let me explain why....

We get promoted to the Premier League - does Kienan Davis get anywhere near a premier league 11 ? - to be honest, I have my reservations whether Tammy Abraham is good enough for the Premier League, so I certainly don't think Kienan is. If we go up, Kienan needs to be steamrolling this division to have a chance and he isn't - and remember, he ain't that young - him and Abraham are basically the same age - at the age of 18, Abraham had scored nearly 30 goals in a season for Bristol City, at 21 - he has scored 25 for us - Kienan has scored 2 goals in his career.He had a bog standard, easiest chance you could ever have today, and it missed his head and hit his arm

Or we stay down, lose Abraham, probably lose Kodjia - would you want to go into next season with a guy up front who has scored 2 goals in three years ?

As I said, he has all the physical attributes as Emile Heskey, but what Heskey did was he had an end product, either himself, or setting up others. Davis isn't at the moment, he does well to get into a position, you think "this is it" and then it fizzles out. With Tammy out, this was Kienan's big chance to make a mark in a team that creates chances for fun, and for me, he isn't taking the chance. I liken him to when Delfounesu came onto the scene - you kept thinking "this lad has got something" but it never transpired. I reckon Keinan will be at a similar level in a few years.

As said above, Kodjia is frustrating, however, in the last three games, games we haven't been at our best, he was insrtumental in getting 3 points v Sheff Wed, and was instrumental today in getting 3 points - and if you want to be successful - you need match and point winners up front

What's our deal with Bournemouth for Mings? We get to match the highest offer or something like that? To see him thumping the crest every week and his reaction at the final whistle after he was sent off, surely he's happy to stay? The lad is beast.
Yup, we have the right to match any accepted bid and it will be thusly accepted also then over to Mings to decide.

What an achievement. Think about it, 145 years and that today has never happened. Wow.

If I was being super critical I will say that we need to start taking these chances we keep making during the play offs. I know away GK's keep turning into Gordon Banks at villa park nowadays but...

Blackburn and now today. If those were play off semi final first legs we are going into the away leg with a 1 goal lead instead of game over . We are likely to be home v Baggies first leg . Let's be clinical and smash them out of sight first leg .

Thought it was a comfortable enough win, despite being slightly flat at times. Should've won by 3 or 4 but oh well.

Ain't got a clue what Deano should do for the next 2 games. One thing for sure is McGinn must be rested for obvious reasons. I'd play Jack in one of the games, maybe bring him on as a sub in the other? Can't go fully rotating the starting 11 and I'm sure DS won't be thinking of doing that anyway. Maybe bring in Conor for McGinn, Hutton for Elmo, Elphick for Jedinak etc. Might be a blessing in disguise having two top Championship teams to play before the play-offs. Gives us a chance to really test ourselves before the Baggies.

Indeed a tricky one and what would you do if you were Deno? Can imagine this giving him a few sleepless nights. And what will the owners say? Regretablty football is a, "money talks" business now. What is more important? Continuing our unbroken run or protecting key players for play offs?

A further part of the conundrum is do you keep the team that's winning playing together to maintain momentum.

If you were the owner which is more important, an unbroken record run or promotion to the Prem?
Very tricky think I would pull jack , sjm and Mings for the last 2 , don’t want injuries or suspensions messing it up , god deano has some massive decisions coming up ,

At 21 given Davis' strengths he's a sensible alternative option. Nowhere near regular first team, but definitely bench to offer a different option.

Let him go and see him ala Callum Robinson find a pair of goalscoring boots, or keep him with and see how he develops and adjusts further. No brainer for me.

Depends on your outlook, Abraham is a star in the making but largely flopped in the Prem. Davis wasn't fancied and ended up lower level and non league yet has proven (goals aside) he's useful at Champ level at also a potential star in the making. Who has taken their shot and chance depends on perspective in fairness HL.

Very tricky think I would pull jack , sjm and Mings for the last 2 , don’t want injuries or suspensions messing it up , god deano has some massive decisions coming up ,

I think he will go full strength last 2 games. With a view of changing things during games

No way (unless SJM starts walking the tightrope) are certain players going to sit out 2 matches and have 3 weeks without a game. In a way that could be counter productive by them losing an edge.

Think we need to keep momentum.

Yes. I don't see wholesale changes at all. Maybe McGinn can sit the Leeds one out and Super Jack the Norwich one and the same with Whelan , but we have one game a week , so plenty of time for the players to recover.

I think he will go full strength last 2 games. With a view of changing things during games

No way (unless SJM starts walking the tightrope) are certain players going to sit out 2 matches and have 3 weeks without a game. In a way that could be counter productive by them losing an edge.

I know what your saying , and you might be right , guess I’m worried someone will get crocked ,

I know what your saying , and you might be right , guess I’m worried someone will get crocked ,

Yep. Shitting myself that SJM or SJG get injured but there is no right or wrong answer really. We could protect players and lose momentum a bit. Or we keep it full strength and risk injuries. I think past history will say that if you rest players intentionally then it will.probably bite you on the arse.

Yep. Shitting myself that SJM or SJG get injured but there is no right or wrong answer really. We could protect players and lose momentum a bit. Or we keep it full strength and risk injuries. I think past history will say that if you rest players intentionally then it will.probably bite you on the arse.[/
There really is no right or wrong answer , let’s hope whatever we do it works out , I’ve always been if there fit play them , we’ve won 10 on the trot and I’m still stressed out ?

Your so right about momentum. Fulham last year had similar momentum and breezed through the play offs.

Has to be full strength with players being taken off as the last 2 games unfold, surely??