Mission accomplished: The Championship | Vital Football

Mission accomplished: The Championship

The Electric Banana

Vital Football Hero
Listening to DC's interviews over the last few days its become clear to me (leapt out) he sees the Championship (I can't make out if this conscious or sub-conscious) as the likely end of the his and brothers journey with the Imps. If they did manage the Imps to Championship and moved on no one on here would begrudge them the opportunity.

I have thought for a long time that they would stay to see if by some miracle they could get us in the Championship. I think they reassessed where they could take us after we won the National League and the huge upturn in support.

It seems absurd and fanciful to think that we could ever get in the Championship especially considering exactly where we were 3 years ago.

But do you know what despite all the so called financial hurdles we have to overcome to achieve that aim with these two in charge and the board clearly backing them as much as they can I really believe anything is possible. It may never happen again but this feels like a perfect storm.

Wow what a time to be an Imp :wahey:

Last edited:
Listening to DC's interviews over the last few days its become clear to me (leapt out) he sees the Championship (I can't make out if this conscious or sub-conscious) as the likely end of the his and brothers journey with the Imps. If they did manage the Imps to Championship and moved on no one on here would begrudge them the opportunity.
Me too TEB from listening to interviews with Danny since Friday it's clear he wants to take us to the Championship and then decide on where he goes next.
Bad news for league one and great news for us.

Sometimes I think we underestimate the positive vehicle for success that we have helped to create. The fan numbers help recruitment, the vocality of the support are worth additional goals and points and the whole city is behind the team operating out of Sincil Bank (in the wider sense). I don't think that what has been achieved in the last 3 years could have been, without 3 elements, the Cowleys, Clive and the Board and the fans. I am not sure anyone of those on its own would have produced the prolonged success and it is this base that makes the idea of the Championship even mentionable.

The belief in the whole project (for that is what it has become) is driving it forward and the glass ceiling is being pushed up all the time.

In those immortal words from Timbuk3,

If we get to the Championship, they’ll move onto pastures new and we’ll probably drop like a sack of spuds if there’s no drastic movement with the stadium.

Sorry to add negativity to a positive post, but that’s the reality. I think we’ll manage to keep up with their progress in almost every area, but the stadium is going to be the piece of infrastructure which halts our progress and leads to Danny and Nicky making their next move.

Dare I say it, we could do with stabilising and having 4 or 5 years of steady progress in L1 just so we can keep hold of them.

the stadium is already a problem, imo. more specifically the capacity of the stadium.
even for half way up league 1. or whatever 'steady progress in L1' means.

If we get to the Championship, they’ll move onto pastures new and we’ll probably drop like a sack of spuds if there’s no drastic movement with the stadium.

Sorry to add negativity to a positive post, but that’s the reality. I think we’ll manage to keep up with their progress in almost every area, but the stadium is going to be the piece of infrastructure which halts our progress and leads to Danny and Nicky making their next move.

Dare I say it, we could do with stabilising and having 4 or 5 years of steady progress in L1 just so we can keep hold of them.

Whilst I appreciate your sentiment stabilising in League 1 for 4 or 5 years is called standing still. Danny and Nicky don't do standing still. I still think we will be serious challengers for promotion in 2 years if we can hold onto the Cowleys.

Nobody can predict the future but one thing we know for certain is that the financial gap between Legue1 and the Championship is going to grow extremely large (even larger than now) over the next 2 or 3 years.

This is a once in lifetime opportunity with Danny and Nicky in charge and we need to seize it with both hands because it will likely never come again.

Let's just see if we can get into the championship (just maybe) then worry about what happens afterwards then. First we need to get there and over the next couple of season it will be the best opportunity we have had in decades!

Well Clive has said on numerous occasions that City need to grasp this once in a lifetime opportunity. I think behind the scenes, those cogs are in overdrive to ensure we don’t miss out. In Clive we trust?

the stadium is already a problem, imo. more specifically the capacity of the stadium.
even for half way up league 1. or whatever 'steady progress in L1' means.

Has anyone really wanting a tix for a home match, not been able to get one? My reading of it, that has not been the case for the majority of home matches. I know its happened on occasions for away matches, but a redeveloped SB or a new stadium isn't going to solve that.

The only thing that keeps crossing my mind with regards to getting to the Championship in the next couple of seasons, and with our fantastic management duo it is a distinct possibility, is what happened to Yeovil. They over-reached and managed to get into the Championship only 5 seasons ago. Look at them now. I expect them to be relegated out of the league in the next couple of weeks.

I just don't want us to over achieve too much too soon and the bubble to explode on us I suppose

The only thing that keeps crossing my mind with regards to getting to the Championship in the next couple of seasons, and with our fantastic management duo it is a distinct possibility, is what happened to Yeovil. They over-reached and managed to get into the Championship only 5 seasons ago. Look at them now. I expect them to be relegated out of the league in the next couple of weeks.

I just don't want us to over achieve too much too soon and the bubble to explode on us I suppose

There is a big difference between us and Yeovil when they won promotion from League 1 their average crowd was 4,072 in their 1 season in the Championship their average crowd was 6,616. They simply never had the support base to maintain anywhere near that level and certainly not to cushion the fall when it came.

Getting to The Championship would involve a monumental effort by all including a large input of cash, The Cowleys continuing to significantly out perform their peers and the continued unconditional backing of the city. Then maybe just maybe Imps would have the chance to achieve what my Dad's generation took as normal but I haven't seen in my lifetime. Am I going to worry about getting relegated from The Championship before we even got there. Am I b*ll*cks.

Has anyone really wanting a tix for a home match, not been able to get one? My reading of it, that has not been the case for the majority of home matches. I know its happened on occasions for away matches, but a redeveloped SB or a new stadium isn't going to solve that.
fewer imps can get into the local derby games... or any high profile games... than can get into the low profile games... i would call that an issue, both from the revenue point of view, and from the home advantage point of view.

likely to be happening a lot more next season [or even every home game?], and next season was what i was actually referring to.