Rivalry | Vital Football

Rivalry

Th10

Vital Squad Member
It seems to have just gone daft between us and Bolton. Yes they’re our local rivals, but it seems as though the ‘hatred’ off the pitch is just getting worse every time we play them. This is despite the fact that today was the lowest crowd for any of our recent games. I used to meet up with mates who are fans of either team before games for a pint, today pubs were closed due to trouble. I posted after the reverse fixture that I got a kicking off so called Bolton fans whilst leaving so decided to drive today, numerous times police vans passed me before and after the game. Inside the ground there was trouble and it was obviously going to kick off outside, they even left together! Social media seems to have just made things worse and worse. Most games this season I’ve got the train and had a few pints then walked to and from the game chatting to away supporters, why can’t it just be like that every game. Idiots from both clubs come out of the woodwork whenever we play each other and don’t bother for any other fixture.

It's weird really because some arrogant Noblot fans don't see us as a rival. They seem to think Utd and City are their rivals.
In reality and something the pig footers can't accept we are now their main rivals.
It's another Nob End v Cesspool or Dingles v Slumburn.
Bloody ridiculous really as we all live and work together. Banter great, violence ridiculous.

Be nice to enjoy it properly but me and a few mates who’d normally go for a beer before/after all drove today in anticipation of all the dickheads being out.

Their fans seem to think we could only dream of taking the support they did today and that they ‘took over’ Wigan. They brought a few idiots who spoiled it for their proper fans and made pubs that would already be busy with decent folk close.

I know we’ve got our fair share of dickhead supporters too, it just seems that this fixture brings out all the Danny dyer wannabes within a 20 mike radius.

Must agree it was disgraceful today. I'm sure the segregation in that corner could be managed better, it was utterly ridiculous to have missiles being tossed back and forth. Fighting with the cops which has made onto social media will ensure that will certainly be followed up and they won't 'escape'. First time I can recall home fans being prohibited from approaching the canal bridge, though was entirely understandable given the away end emptied early so no criticism. Couldn't go for usual prematch drink in town before game today so can't comment on that. It was certainly a throwback and justification I suspect for midday kick offs in this fixture going forward. No doubt be more of the same if there is owt on the Millwall fixture.

Don't condone the violence but the edge and buzz in the ground today is what's been missing for the majority of the season.
Better stewarding and policing for sure but for me it's what football used to be all about

Police should have locked Bolton in the away end like they do Blackburn and Burnley. From the moment they entered, no one should have been allowed out until 15 minutes after the final whistle once all Wigan fans have cleared out of the ground and surrounding area. Wouldn’t have stopped the bottle/coin throwing but would have prevented the chaos that occurred from about the 85th minute onwards. Bolton were getting put on their arse by Latics fans outside the ground with 5 minutes to go and innocent folk trying to leave early were getting caught up in it.

Don’t condone the violence and bottle/coin throwing one bit but it’s good to have a local rival with proper needle, that contributed to the best atmosphere since Man City. Despite the shite weather and prices around 1000 extra home fans than normal turned up for this particular game.

Police should have locked Bolton in the away end like they do Blackburn and Burnley. From the moment they entered, no one should have been allowed out until 15 minutes after the final whistle once all Wigan fans have cleared out of the ground and surrounding area. Wouldn’t have stopped the bottle/coin throwing but would have prevented the chaos that occurred from about the 85th minute onwards. Bolton were getting put on their arse by Latics fans outside the ground with 5 minutes to go and innocent folk trying to leave early were getting caught up in it.

Don’t condone the violence and bottle/coin throwing one bit but it’s good to have a local rival with proper needle, that contributed to the best atmosphere since Man City. Despite the shite weather and prices around 1000 extra home fans than normal turned up for this particular game.
That'll teach em for leaving early instead of applauding our players off ;)

Common sense should have been used. It was obvious to everyone that there would be trouble. The Bolton fans should have been told that they would be held in the ground after the final whistle, there needs to be a sterile area created at the side of both the East and North stands to prevent objects being thrown and confrontations, and checks need to be in place to prevent flares from being set off in the concourses. There should have been a strong police presence behind the East stand to disperse the idiots from our own support before allowing the away fans out. As I say, common sense.

Never seen as many police at a match for years....also can I make a controversial point regarding the police numbers. This is not meant as a slap in the face for any feminists out there but what is the point in having women on the front line. There was a good chance it would kick off at some stage and the women police officers would be neither use nor ornament if it did. You need big hairy arsed 6 footers to sort a ruck out and restrain dickheads. The same reason you don't send women firefighters up a ladder to carry people down it just doesn't work. Like I say no offence but it makes you wonder if the chance of O/T money overrides duty.

They never seem to keep them behind at the end.....I remember last year, sitting in the car in the car park behind the East stand and the police marched the Bolton fans up by the canal and the supporters started throwing coins at our cars!!!!.......nothing seemed to be done.

Aside from those who genuinely wanted or needed to leave early , what sort of ‘Latics fans’ were outside the ground with 5 minutes to go ?

As I've widely reported over the years zeb I have to leave every home on about 70 to get to work. Yesterday I came out and was accompanied by lots of Bolton fans making the journey over the bridge ( they must have had enough of the shite ) . These lot didn't appear trouble makers because we would have been very vulnerable if they had been but I think the dickheads stayed behind until the match was over...probably pre-arranged.

Aside from those who genuinely wanted or needed to leave early , what sort of ‘Latics fans’ were outside the ground with 5 minutes to go ?
The type that only turn up for games such as this one, looking for a scrap. They won’t be at Brentford I can promise you that but no doubt they’ll be back for Millwall.

Common sense should have been used. It was obvious to everyone that there would be trouble. The Bolton fans should have been told that they would be held in the ground after the final whistle, there needs to be a sterile area created at the side of both the East and North stands to prevent objects being thrown and confrontations, and checks need to be in place to prevent flares from being set off in the concourses. There should have been a strong police presence behind the East stand to disperse the idiots from our own support before allowing the away fans out. As I say, common sense.
Good point as well. ES1 for years has been tarped up with a big advertising sheet, but since the Intersport sponsorship deal ended this season, the club haven’t bothered tarping up ES1 despite not making it available to purchase tickets in that block and have just left it open. Had that area been tarped up, fans wouldn’t have been able to get right to the edge of the stand in ES1 where they could throw stuff.

Last edited:
Even though it wasn't right the ES1 lot were only throwing back what the Bolton fans were throwing.
Perhaps if the police had gone in and dragged some Bolton fans out order would have been restored.
Instead they just stood and watched. Even after a steward in ES1 got hit.

Even though it wasn't right the ES1 lot were only throwing back what the Bolton fans were throwing.
Perhaps if the police had gone in and dragged some Bolton fans out order would have been restored.
Instead they just stood and watched. Even after a steward in ES1 got hit.

Problem was we saw what happened when they did intervene by being indiscriminately attacked. The behaviour of those Bolton fans was deplorable and I only assume there will be a follow investigation by GMP and most will be identified. I understand damage was caused to the away end - so that will be another invoice winging its way to horwich to add to the list.

Don't condone the violence but the edge and buzz in the ground today is what's been missing for the majority of the season.
Better stewarding and policing for sure but for me it's what football used to be all about
I enjoyed the win and all the banter that goes on rivalry is exciting and makes the game intense the idiots who want the kick shit out of each other are not supporters the worry factor is the age of them which would suggest it will get worse...

I have my own little saying about all this.....

"Rivalry in football, is healthy. You need rivals to inspire you to have something to match and do better than.
Hatred in football, is unhealthy. Its a sport, and you should never lose sight of that. Loyalty and pride are one thing, but there is a line you should'nt cross. There is no place for it."

Never seen as many police at a match for years....also can I make a controversial point regarding the police numbers. This is not meant as a slap in the face for any feminists out there but what is the point in having women on the front line. There was a good chance it would kick off at some stage and the women police officers would be neither use nor ornament if it did. You need big hairy arsed 6 footers to sort a ruck out and restrain dickheads. The same reason you don't send women firefighters up a ladder to carry people down it just doesn't work. Like I say no offence but it makes you wonder if the chance of O/T money overrides duty.

I saw three coppers stood near the canal bridge,one was a woman no more than five foot tall,and the too bloke's were about 5'6".
PC bollocks employing short arsed coppers .

Unfortunately 95%+ of Bolton fans there probably didn't take part in the missle throwing or violence but the small minority make their whole fan base look bad and make sure future games will see extra policing and pubs shutting, etc. People just can't seem to seperate the football rivarlly from real life. Imagine risking getting arrested / criminal record / prison sentance on behalf of fighting someone over football...utter insanity.

If anyone went to Bolton away this season they may have noticed there were loads of fans opposite the away end on the right hand side who were more interested in giving it large than the game itself and so many got kicked out of the home end by the home stewards - which i've never seen before at any other away day. So it does appear they have a some real idiots as you've got to be really bad to get kicked out of the home end!