Horwich at home | Page 4 | Vital Football

Horwich at home

• Thread starter removed at members request
  • Start date
I wouldn't want Reid, or any of the coaches in charge, for me if they had good ideas they would be implemented now. They are an extension of Cook and if we are sacking Cook then i don't want his sidekicks in charge as they will most likely not have the new ideas or approach we need - it will be more of the same.

Joe Royle is seperate enough for me to say fair enough but to be honest he's been out of the frist team management game so long i don't think he'd do it and i don't think he'd be a good option.

On your first point Arthur, I reckon Cook's popular with the players ......as evidenced by James staying, and general comments on podcasts etc

However, to turn your second point on it's head, I give you Rosler replace by Mackay.

That bounce doesn't have a logical explanation.

Think the bounce is a combo of different tactics unlocking unused potential and a fresh set ideas giving the players new found hope and confidence.

But if the new tacitcs are rubbish and the fresh idea not inspirational enough to breed new confidence then it will carry on failing. Think it's just down to the quality of the person you bring in.

Just listened to Paul Cook's pre match interview. Probably the most defensive I have ever hear him and he is clearly feeling the pressure.
It was hardly fighting talk though Sid, was it?

To pick on journalists is hardly a rallying call to his players. He was asked if Gavin Massey was OK, and had a mini meltdown.

I'm on his side ......... but that wasn't an interview that filled me with confidence that he has his head sufficiently together to motivate the team to get a result tomorrow.
Just seen this mornings press interview with Cook. He was a bit snappy with the questioners, reluctant to discuss the negatives, and was all "we will be where we will be at the seasons end".

A man under pressure, obviously aware his job is in jeopardy. I think he knows tomorrow nothing but a win will save his job, he came across that way, anyway.

Even if he lasts until the seasons end, I think he will be gone then, anyway.

To be honest I thought Cook came across as a bit of a bully in that interview. There was an aggression and anger that I haven’t really seen from him before. You can’t just refuse to answer questions because you’re stressed; in his own words “that’s football”.

..... Think it's just down to the quality of the person you bring in.

I think it's far more tenuous than that.

Look at the "quality" of Solskjaer......failed at Cardiff, and up and down with Molde. Nothing to hint at the success at Utd. Summat just clicked

On the other hand, lots of excellent Managers have gone into a club and failed. No click.

First time i can honestly say i think he is on notice!After that interview i do think failure to win tomorrow and he is gone!
But i will be behind him and the team,as i am sure everyone will be!! Yet again i am going 3-0, i must be right sometime!!

Touchy, wasn't he. Unnecessarily so too, as other than the jocular quip at the start re the comparison to May (and chaos), there wasn't much negativity or serious prodding in the interviewer's questions.

Definitely feeling the pressure.

Agree there sir.
Very prickly interview that and overly defensive at times ... comes across like he had spent the previous hour attempting to get Nick Powell not to p*ss about in training.

I am confident of a win so long as we, the supporters, do not get on the players backs.
I remember getting dropped by the footy coach for suggesting we were going to get beaten (by the best team in the league) ... I learned my lesson about not being positive.

(Thanks Sid for posting the video)

Last edited:
It was hardly fighting talk though Sid, was it?

To pick on journalists is hardly a rallying call to his players. He was asked if Gavin Massey was OK, and had a mini meltdown.

I'm on his side ......... but that wasn't an interview that filled me with confidence that he has his head sufficiently together to motivate the team to get a result tomorrow.
Loath as I am to defend a journalist, his response to the Massey question was out of order, no malice intended the journo was simply asking if he was injured due to going off at HT and whether he was available for selection tomorrow. Cook didn’t even let him finish his question before biting his head off for no reason. Got no problem with a manager taking a journo to task should they be asked a stupid question but there was nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

All came from that joke at the start. Watch Cook’s face before the journo threw in the May curveball. Had a face like thunder ready to absolutely destroy the journo, he probably decided then and there to be purposely short towards him for the rest of the interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn’t believe how hostile and confrontational Cook was being throughout - I haven’t heard anything like that since Coyle slagged the fans off in his final interview before being sacked post-Derby a few years ago.

From a journalistic perspective, those were perfectly mild and valid questions that were in no way out of order. If they had been, the press officer or club media representative overseeing the press conference would’ve intervened.

To critique the fans seemed rather odd, too. They’ve supported the club up and down the country, paying hundreds if not thousands with virtually zero in return this season - I think they are more than entitled to be slightly frustrated, particularly after his infamous ‘not bothered’ remark after the Forest defeat.

If he thinks that was bad, I’m not sure how he’d handle being a Prem manager! Rather than a couple of sympathetic local journalists, he’d be facing a room full of 50 tabloid reps with zero ties to the club, who wouldn’t think twice about asking a ‘difficult’ or uncomfortable question and couldn’t care less whether it upsets him.

Their takeover has just collapsed so surely they we be even more deflated, it is now or never for us now surely!!

He sat there chatting shit for over 5 minutes. He’s clearly feeling the pressure and was being an arse with the journalist. Perhaps he’s been a bit like that with some of the players and that’s part of the reason they’re not performing? I don’t think anyone dislikes him as a bloke, he’s just clearly struggled this season tactically and our recruitment has been awful.

I'd rather him be unpleasant and win games than play the joker, and lose every week.

But now he'll just be a bit of a p---- and a s--- manager where before he was just a s--- manager.

The thing that really annoys me about this is he acting a knob about someone asking about Masseys fitness but EVERY pre match press confrence he is asked about it and half of the time he not only tells us who's fit but tells us if they will start or not. So Cook is getting upset about questions he is normally happy to answer - the interviewer must have been WTF?

To me he sounds like a guy who think's he is losing tomorrow and losing his job and isn't that arsed anymore about keeping a working relationship as he doesn't think he'll have another pre match presser. I'm praying that somehow we get the 3 points against Bolton and next press confrence we can have a manager who doesn't throw his toys out of the pram for a journo doing their job is the most gentle possible way.

I've just seen the press conference and his demeanour was that of someone who has run out of ideas. There was no enthusiasm or spark and he seems resigned to losing his job. Maybe he's been told it's over already. I just hope the players have it in them to put right the dreadful result at Blackburn and play for the fans and their own pride.

First time i can honestly say i think he is on notice!After that interview i do think failure to win tomorrow and he is gone!
But i will be behind him and the team,as i am sure everyone will be!! Yet again i am going 3-0, i must be right sometime!!
not like you have you had a pill

But the reality is not everyone is a committed season ticket holder and football isn't their main hobby. The fanbase will always include lots of floating voters who pick and choose their games and the performances and form will impact their decision to go. I'm not talking so much about the real glory hunters who are Latics fans only when we are playing big glamerous opposition and they turn up every blue moon - i'm talking about the genuine Latics fans but they like football rather than eat, sleep and breath it like i imagine most season ticket holders do and likely have other priorities. At the moment if you are one of those and you've got the choice of taking the kids to the game in the current form, or take them to the cinema or bolwing it's not hard to see why you might decide to spend the Saturday doing something else for the cost.

There's no point critasising those fans as we need them otherwise we'd never have more than a small hardcore who come rain or shine and it would never be enough. Quite frankly it's up to the club, players and manager to provide the entertainment to make them want to come back and get hooked - anyone who took up our reccent initiative against Ipswich was probably scared for life by how s--- it was and wont be back anytime soon.
Commited to paying a knock down price for tickets but not all are commited to attending matches.
Many season ticket holders pick and choose matches which is their perogative.
£28-00 again tomorrow and Cooks crap tactics and the players crap performances will keep many non season card holders away.
Hundreds of ST card holders miss games just the same as hundreds of others do.
You make some good points again kdz not so blinkered as some.

I wouldn't want Reid, or any of the coaches in charge, for me if they had good ideas they would be implemented now. They are an extension of Cook and if we are sacking Cook then i don't want his sidekicks in charge as they will most likely not have the new ideas or approach we need - it will be more of the same.

Joe Royle is seperate enough for me to say fair enough but to be honest he's been out of the frist team management game so long i don't think he'd do it and i don't think he'd be a good option.
Reid plus the coaches need to go and the owners need a new board too. Maybe bring in some directors with links to Latics or to Wigan.

I think too many read too much into that interview.
What we don't know is what has been said before that recording - Fiona Bruce ridiculing Abbott at QT warm up comes to mind.
Not brilliant interview agreed but 1 out of many at such a low period makes him bad? He's not perfect. He has bad days as we all do. Probably he found out today that Pilkington & Fox wouldn't feature at all for remaining season - 2 Jan signings that we pin our hopes on.
Give him a break. Channel all your energies into going to the game and support the team vocally tomorrow. We all know how vocal support can be the 12th man and lift the players.