Should We Separate The Work From The Man? | Vital Football

Should We Separate The Work From The Man?

BodyButter

Vital Football Legend
Over the past year or so, the Me Too allegations have destroyed the careers of a number of high profile men. The new Michael Jackson documentary has highlighted the sexual abuse allegations against 'The King of Pop'. Over the past few days, a number of radio DJs have said that they will stop playing Michael Jackson songs. It's left me wondering whether we can or should separate the man from his work. I don't think anyone looks up to Jackson the man but anyone who has an interest in pop or music in general has a lot of respect for what he achieved in music.

Historical figures like JFK and Einstein were notorious womanisers who would certainly have fallen short of the standards of today, still they are regarded for their professional achievements.

Churchill is one of the most widely respected British politicians in history but his alcoholism and racism would never fly today.

Should great men and women get a pass on their personal lives?

Do we expect too much from high profile individuals or is it time to shine a light into the murky areas of human behaviour and judge individuals as a whole?

I t's an interesting debate for sure. I never liked his music anyway so there is nothing to separate for me.

Guilty or not he was one weird bloke though.

Should great men and women get a pass on their personal lives?

Do we expect too much from high profile individuals or is it time to shine a light into the murky areas of human behaviour and judge individuals as a whole?

In short, no, I don't think they should get a free pass. Personally, I don't think I expect too much from high-profile individuals, whether they are politicians, actors, musicians, sportsmen and women. I would expect the same standards of behaviour and decency as I would of anyone else.

It's a sad fact that many people of this ilk seem to think normal rules don't apply to them because of their celebrity, and they seem to think it is totally acceptable to abuse the positions of power, trust and influence in which they find themselves.

There's certainly no doubting the contributions made by people like Churchill and Jackson, but unless they are called out on their unacceptable behaviour and actions, then people will go on thinking it is ok to take advantage of others, usually more vulnerable and 'available' for abuse.

Shocking documentary so far and I cannot believe there is more revelations in part 2. Even if we only take into account what everyone agrees happened that a grown adult wanted to sleep with 7 year old boys it is disgusting, but after watching the two accuser's I believe one of them totally. Looking at twitter I was shocked by the level of support for Jackson.

I don`t believe any of that last night personally - it all looked an act for pure greed.

As a lad growing up, I fucking loved Gary Glitter's songs, I didn't idolise the man but admired his music. The music is inextricably linked in a positive way to my past and my memories of it. On occasion, I enjoy listening to those tunes.

Paul Gadd, the pedophile does not benefit in any way. The same will be true of Michael Jackson and any other artist. The work and the person are two separate entities.

I read that neither of them have been paid for the documentary. Not sure how true that is, but if it is true, what else do they have to gain from ruining the reputation of a dead man?

I think we already knew deep down that Jacko was a massive fiddler even before last night. The confirmation was shocking though. I'd have never guessed the scale of his depravity.

No money in all the world is enough to make me admit on world wide TV that Wanko Jacko had been sticking a finger up my arse while he jerked off.

Watched first episode, felt like a group of actors playing out scenes - the parents even laughed about certain recollections when they failed in their duty leading to abuse, I have a daughter and could never forgive myself EVER if I had done this, and the rage would NEVER go.

Don't think I'm gonna watch this, since he's not around to defend himself.

Also wasn't he chemically castrated as a youngster by his father? He hardly had much sex drive.

MJ - "Hi NV, would you like to bring your twin 8 yo daughters for a sleepover? They can kip in my room. I'll give buy them whatever they want and help make them famous."

NV - "Errr? No thanks Mike, I think perhaps the Police should know about that idea. We won't be coming to tea again."

Love this tune you did with your brothers though. Probably wouldn't have sold many if people knew about your behaviour and didn't turn a blind eye.

Last edited:
Haven't watched and won't watch. But did see a feature on it on Newsnight. If this all happened, then the parents surely take a huge amount of the blame?

How on earth would they ever have thought it right to let a 7-8 year old kid sleep with a grown man? I don't care whether he molested or didn't with that question btw, it's just not right.

I think it depends on the severity of the "crime".

If JFK and Einstein were womanizers, I couldn't give a shit. If they were abusers and rapists that would be different.

I was a big fan of Louis C.K before the #metoo movement, and I'm still a big fan, even listened to his first set since the scandal, and laughed my arse off. Does he have weird sexual kinks? Yes. Do I care? No. He didn't harm anyone, sorry #metooers.

Bill Cosby on the other hand....

No money in all the world is enough to make me admit on world wide TV that Wanko Jacko had been sticking a finger up my arse while he jerked off.
You, me and plenty of others - yet Chandler has never changed his story and it's not like he can be anonymous, and here we have a new bunch changing their story for a film.