Mark Whiley at the Echo | Page 3 | Vital Football

Mark Whiley at the Echo

Only my opinion , but from what I see and hear on the pre-match press conferences, Mark Whiley seems to get relegated to second fiddle by the Radio Lincs boys. And yet he seems to ask the more intelligent questions.
As has been mentioned, there must be some explanation other than author error for the number of mistakes present in the online articles. But if it was my job to be LCFC's main written word journalist and I was aware of repeated mistakes , I'd make sure the issue was addressed

You could make the point that language is the tool for communicating ideas and thoughts, of passing on stories, and that making the proof grammatically and word perfect is an overuse of skill in using the tool (provided the message is conveyed without miscommunication). As long as the intended picture is painted, then I can forgive the odd word being absent, misspellings, etc. ?

Last edited:
Funny you should mention the ‘cosying up club’. After a game at Notts County I once saw Curtis give then manager Shaun Derry a big embrace, which I thought was a tad peculiar. With a pally-pally relationship like that he was then hardly going to ask him some searching questions was he? Good reporter though is Curtis.

The thing about local reporting is you're directly affecting your own environment, and the people in it. As in life, you have far more chance of criticism being accepted if you have a rapport with the people you're aiming at.

You could make the point that language is the tool for communicating ideas and thoughts, of passing on stories, and that making the proof grammatically and word perfect is an overuse of skill in using the tool (provided the message is conveyed without miscommunication). As long as the intended picture is painted, then I can forgive the odd word being absent, misspellings, etc. ?

Being of the trade, I'd say it's a fundamental. If I can make a comparison with TV, everyone laughs at TV presenters who fluff their lines or call Jim John by mistake. Same thing. Every young reporter is told that getting names, spellings, grammar etc is as important as getting the story. You neglect it, and your work looks unprofessional, can be misunderstood and/or open to ridicule. Those with poor attention to such details generally make the worst journalists.

Of course all of that goes out the window to some extent when people are tasked with live-blogging or have deadlines measured in minutes and no second pair of eyes. No one's perfect. But for general news reporting, some of the stuff I see on the Echo's website is unforgivable.

I know this is a bit broader, but I'm afraid I'm one of those dinosaurs that believes the human race has gone backwards since the introduction of the internet, social media, etc. Ironic that the internet has so much potential for advancement, learning and knowledge, yet, like so many great inventions there are those who, too easily, abuse and misuse it. The proper use of written English is just one example of abuse, misuse and plain laziness. I'm a great believer that 'comunication' in all forms, is the most fundamental skill for the human race to master. Wars have been started because of the lack of comunication skills, not just good English, but the proper use of words, properly thought out.
? Did I really just write that? Sorry if it's a bit OTT but it is something I feel very strongly about.

I know this is a bit broader, but I'm afraid I'm one of those dinosaurs that believes the human race has gone backwards since the introduction of the internet, social media, etc. Ironic that the internet has so much potential for advancement, learning and knowledge, yet, like so many great inventions there are those who, too easily, abuse and misuse it. The proper use of written English is just one example of abuse, misuse and plain laziness. I'm a great believer that 'comunication' in all forms, is the most fundamental skill for the human race to master. Wars have been started because of the lack of comunication skills, not just good English, but the proper use of words, properly thought out.
? Did I really just write that? Sorry if it's a bit OTT but it is something I feel very strongly about.

And with the rapid rise of the bloggers, too many people think they can now be called journalists/‘writers’ when they are no such thing.

I fink u r dead rite mind u wiv out the interweb u wudnt b able 2 watch the games likw wot u do.:lol:

Like all tools it depends on how it's used, and you are free to use the internet in any way you please

For instance these would be impossible without the modern internet capable of delivering written / audio / video content at the press of a button and storing data coupled with secure payments

MIT have hundreds and hundreds of their courses online for free
https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

Kickstarter has empowered people to pursue their dreams by being funded by crowdsourcing and removed the need for any business middle men to muddy the waters about how much you have to compromise those dreams
https://www.kickstarter.com/

Podcasting allows you to receive information / news / be entertained by anyone who feels they have something to say about anything and address that audience without being filtered or managed by mainstream media outlets
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jun/30/the-50-best-podcasts-of-2018

You can track / get assistance for pretty much any activity you engage in for a hobby via some form of app / web page
*insert list of apps / webpages that would break the internet*

Does the internet have dark places that should be managed better? For sure
Does the internet allow the promotion of opinions and attitudes that are abhorrent to the majority of a society? Absolutely
Does the internet enable all sorts of activities that are illegal? It certainly does

But then like all successful tools that achieve widespread adoption it's just holding up a mirror to our society, and it shows that our society is just as flawed and broken as any previous models of society in history, something that we often like to conveniently forget.

I'm sure someone was somewhere making exactly the same point as you are about the development of the printing press back in the day.

Like all tools it depends on how it's used, and you are free to use the internet in any way you please

For instance these would be impossible without the modern internet capable of delivering written / audio / video content at the press of a button and storing data coupled with secure payments

Kickstarter has empowered people to pursue their dreams by being funded by crowdsourcing and removed the need for any business middle men to muddy the waters about how much you have to compromise those dreams

Podcasting allows you to receive information / news / be entertained by anyone who feels they have something to say about anything and address that audience without being filtered or managed by mainstream media outlets
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jun/30/the-50-best-podcasts-of-2018

You can track / get assistance for pretty much any activity you engage in for a hobby via some form of app / web page

Does the internet allow the promotion of opinions and attitudes that are abhorrent to the majority of a society? Absolutely
Does the internet enable all sorts of activities that are illegal? It certainly does

But then like all successful tools that achieve widespread adoption it's just holding up a mirror to our society, and it shows that our society is just as flawed and broken as any previous models of society in history, something that we often like to conveniently forget.

I'm sure someone was somewhere making exactly the same point as you are about the development of the printing press back in the day.
Totally agree

I think this is what I said/meant, but not in such detail ?

Totally agree

I think this is what I said/meant, but not in such detail ?

Well I don't believe the "the human race has gone backwards since the introduction of the internet, social media, etc. " It just hasn't moved forward in the way some people assumed it would...

Well I don't believe the "the human race has gone backwards since the introduction of the internet, social media, etc. " It just hasn't moved forward in the way some people assumed it would...

It's got a lot more polarized though! With certain people trying to ram their thoughts and beliefs down the throats of other people and being outraged when they don't except them!

Why can't we all just get along and leave each to their own.

1549464715493.png

It's got a lot more polarized though! With certain people trying to ram their thoughts and beliefs down the throats of other people and being outraged when they don't except them!

Why can't we all just get along and leave each to their own.

View attachment 31221
politicians are ramming ideas down other people's throats. as are media professionals. when these people with influence and supposedly setting the standards are doing it, no wonder there are so many wums further down the internet chain.

re: the graphic...did Leon Brown consider that being argumentative and winding other people up makes some people happy. ))

Afraid I have to disagree. In my lengthy experience people seem less educated, even those with some degrees, and struggle with a lot of basics these days - moreso than when I was younger. I have been appalled at people's very poor English - both written & spoken. I just keep quiet most of the time as I don't want to be seen as too much of a moaning old fart ?