Match Thread: Notts County v Lincoln City | Page 22 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Notts County v Lincoln City

I can only recall Grimes, Anyon and the legendary Drewe Broughton....loved by all barn doors and cows arses everywhere.

To be fair Grimes nearly kept us up, he could actually score. I remember Anyon during a warm up in a New Years Day game away against Grimsby sitting on the advertising hoardings on the telephone which he he had been given by someone in the Lincoln end ( Can you imagine that under D.C./NC) I think Drew Broughton hit the post away at Wycombe once. ?

Let's put it this way. If we are just aiming for promotion or the play offs, its a point gained.

If our aim is to win the league (as we should be) its two points lost.

We will probably never have a better chance to win this division - so that is what we should be striving for. Standards have been raised at all levels - and so should expections for the run in. DC would have it no other way.

Can't get my head around people expecting 3 points each week.

Firstly it was an away point- that makes it 4 points from County this season and 4 points from Grimsby.

Not our most solid performance today by any means but 10 attempts on goal tn NCFC 13 alongside a 48%/52% share (in Imps favour) shows game could have gone either way.

Penalty miss was disappointing particularly when it is a match winning strike but a point is a point.

We are unbeaten in last 14 in league!

McCarten was busy not i am not sure his partnership with Akinde delivers everything we want.

Anderson offered much more threat on the right 2nd half and we created more chances 2nd half despite scoring our goal in first half.

O'Connor looked out of sorts today as did Bossie (clearly carrying an injury from start).

Overall I'll take an away point on a less than satisfying overall performance.

Simple in my head really- draw away and win at home and we'll go up.

I thought Akinde, even ignoring the penalty miss, was poor today. Yes he has great body strength and yes he can occasionally hold the ball up - but count how many times in a game his lay offs find a City player. I don't have time to replay the whole game on iPlayer, but I don't think even one in ten of his lay offs find their man.

With speedy players like Anderson, Rowe and Andrade alongside him, its a huge failing in our game. Danny won't leave him out on principle - to make his pooint to the criticism from a section of fans - but Rhead would do better with those three alongside him.

Even playing Angol might give our attack a whole new look. At the moment though, we are relying on set pieces and opposition mistakes to get goals. I will now wait for the angry comments.

But to be fair to him look back at his play and how isolated he is. Hard to find one or two players in a see of eight opposition defenders after you've just chased another aimless ball down the channel, shielded two players and sprinted to the byline to try and find space to cross.

Several times today he got in good positions after chasing a channel ball, battling past defenders only to look up and maybe see one Lincoln shirt on the edge of a packed box of County players. He needs options.

He's not perfect but no one in league 2 is.

Firstly it was an away point- that makes it 4 points from County this season and 4 points from Grimsby.

Not our most solid performance today by any means but 10 attempts on goal tn NCFC 13 alongside a 48%/52% share (in Imps favour) shows game could have gone either way.

Penalty miss was disappointing particularly when it is a match winning strike but a point is a point.

McCarten was busy not i am not sure his partnership with Akinde delivers everything we want.

Anderson offered much more threat on the right 2nd half and we created more chances 2nd half despite scoring our goal in first half.

O'Connor looked out of sorts today as did Bossie (clearly carrying an injury from start).

14 unbeaten in the League isn’t to be sniffed at. We have the happy knack of grinding out draws where we could have lost, and turning draws into wins. For some strange reason we also play better against better teams, bodes well if we go up.
We do seem to struggle though against battling teams near the bottom, odd really as not so long ago people were saying we had a team that nobody could bully.

14 unbeaten in the League isn’t to be sniffed at. We have the happy knack of grinding out draws where we could have lost, and turning draws into wins. For some strange reason we also play better against better teams, bodes well if we go up.
We do seem to struggle though against battling teams near the bottom, odd really as not so long ago people were saying we had a team that nobody could bully.

7 unbeaten isn’t it?

I hope for 3 points every week, but expect 0 points. It does n’t make me very optimistic but I’ve never been disappointed.

Perhaps you and I missed the season when all the promoted sides got 138pts
I can only remember as far back as Wycombe last season, dropping 54pts and getting automatic promotion.

By that basis 8 more wins and 8 losses could be enough , even though it’s 8 points less than we have averaged so far this season.

I hope for 3 points every week, but expect 0 points. It does n’t make me very optimistic but I’ve never been disappointed.

Perhaps you and I missed the season when all the promoted sides got 138pts
I can only remember as far back as Wycombe last season, dropping 54pts and getting automatic promotion.

By that basis 8 more wins and 8 losses could be enough , even though it’s 8 points less than we have averaged so far this season.

Indeed. If the best team should win every week and the worst team always lose, league tables would look most odd and pools companies would never have existed.
We did add one more point to our total and i fully expect a rejuvenated Notts to have a much better spring than their season to date has been.

Well finally seen our bit of action on Quest just now.
Excellent goal from Bruno.
Both pens, really can't tell if wrong or right from the one angle we get. But both do look soft at best.
As for the missed penalty, even if on target keeper would have definitely saved it.
It is the one thing I've been saying all season about Akinde's pens, the apparently casual style does make them very saveable if the keeper guesses right. And i don't actually know how this is the first fail. But Akinde must be confident in how takes them!