Match Thread: Swindon Town v Lincoln City | Page 26 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Swindon Town v Lincoln City

I don't think you're seeing it right. It's not as though they both challenged for a loose ball, the Swindon forward was always ahead and in possession from outside the box. Frecklington

I don't know what he was trying to achieve. He couldn't make a tackle from that position and Shackell, who was coming across , could have have intervened.

If the shirt colours had been reversed there would be blood vessels popping on here at the suggestion that the award of a penalty was soft.

Frecklington was trying to do just what you say he was doing. He was trying to track the player back and then get in a position to defend.

He is an experienced player and would be aware the Swindon player would try to create contact and then fall over but he got too close and gave the attacker just that chance.

It was a mistake by Frecklington. In the popular parlance it gave the attacker the chance to go down.

All I will say is, if Frecklington was running after him with a knife in his hand, intent on murder, I think the attacker would have been able to avoid contact and keep on his feet.

It depends what you want the outcome to be.

Last edited:
Frecks giving away the penalty was similar to Anderson (I think) and Baines at Everton, the difference been Anderson ran along side so Baines had to lean into Anderson to gain contact, this then gave the ref a reason not to give it. From the replay I've seen Frecks just kept running straight into him as he slowed right down.

I agree but a player of his experience I refuse to believe that he said something he hadn’t said many times before.

That’s not to say I think verbals are acceptable. You just have to deal with it consistently.

And i was at a welsh game last night (with 3 reds!)...the first one was probably a case of a linesmen mishearing what was shouted...
The player had yelled to his own teammates down the pitch "block the c***" as a tackle went in.
The ref heard it and called both captains over and said "lads, no more of that language on the pitch please".
And then carried on with no further action.
Meanwhile linesman was waving his flag madly. Ref went over and consulted with him and then went over over and red carded the original shouter out. It turned out for racial abuse according to the linesman. He thought he had heard "BLACK C***".
If that had been said, an undoubted red and lengthy ban. But it hadn't. A clear error.
Hope the player concerned is not wrongly labelled a racist.

So...point of this is don't presume Shackell did say something bad enough to warrant the booking. He may well have, but ref may have misheard. Hopefully Shackell will give Danny the full account of what happened.

Penalty- their player nearly stopped and Freck bundled into the back of him- soft.
Shacks - Toner didn’t realise he’d already booked him. I bet he wouldn’t have yellowed if he knew that. At this level a yellow for verbal dissent is a sign of a ref losing control- this level you give it back. Lots of pulls on Akinde missed. Toner is a awful, always has been. Assistant on our side also was awful
I warned about this idiot on another thread

Spot on mate, and YOU know better than the rest of us amateurs commenting here.

This is how I see it Brendan. The professional footballer in the red shirt got in front of the professional footballer in grey. He realised slightly quicker than the grey player he could manufacture a contact, which would give him the cover/excuse to fall over. It was then too late for the grey player to avoid the red player creating this contact.

90% of the time these are given as penalties. But it was soft because the contact was deliberately manufacturered by the attacker with the sole intention of gaining a penalty. Any decent player would try to do the same... but it is SOFT.
The football authorities are quite happy to let this carry on, football supporters are so used to seeing it, they accept it as a penalty, but it is SOFT.

Do you think in an ideal world, a penalty should be awarded due to a player falling over for no reason, other than because it will get him a penalty. I do n’t. Although I accept it happens every week.

Watched it now on Quest. Definitely SOFT.
Freck did not put in any tackle on their player.
Also watched the Andrade incident.
THEIR player trod on Bruno while he was on the ground, he then retaliated with a kick out.
If red for Bruno, then an even bigger red for their player.
Or! A sensible ref and yellows for both.
But if kicking out is a red these days then correct. Can their player be dealt with retrospectively??

Watched it now on Quest. Definitely SOFT.
Freck did not put in any tackle on their player.
Also watched the Andrade incident.
THEIR player trod on Bruno while he was on the ground, he then retaliated with a kick out.
If red for Bruno, then an even bigger red for their player.
Or! A sensible ref and yellows for both.
But if kicking out is a red these days then correct. Can their player be dealt with retrospectively??

Yes because it wasn’t punished during the match

But still they didn’t defeat us!

What a game to follow on from the efforts at Everton. There were certainly nine heroes on the pitch for the whole time after Shackell departed.

First thirty minutes we were poor, no shape, lack of ball retention, no strategy. Andrade reacts stupidly and a gets a deserved red, the ten men regroup, get what seemed a fortunate goal. Then astonishingly we are 2-0 to the good thanks to a wonder goal from McCartan. Unbelievably, it is 2-0 at half time and the better team is losing.

Second half starts with us under some pressure but at least holding our own. Then Freck seems to give away a stonewall penalty, 9/10 refs would have given it, and you thought: "we have a fight on here". Minutes later the ref has had enough of the dissent, having given warnings. Shack transgresses, the yellow comes out, and he is off. The ref looks more surprised than most people in the ground.

The last 35 minutes defined the character of this squad and the touch line management. Backs to the wall, bodies on the line, the equaliser was well taken but there was no more on offer to the home side. Danny and Nicky repeatedly asked the travelling fans for more, and duly they responded, as did the whole team. The starters with failing legs were ably supported by subs keen to share the load.

What a game, what a battle, and by the end a point hard won. The lapses aside, everyone felt proud to be an Imp this afternoon.

Last edited:
Hard to sum up that game. It was unbelievable really, full of incident. The Lincoln fans kept the support going, especially for the last 30 minutes, when we had to withstand attack after attack. I said to the chap next to me at 2-1 up, and Shackell being sent off, we'll be lucky to get a point here. He agreed with me. How we survived was nothing short of a miracle.
There was some great performances today. I thought Toffolo had one of his best games and Vickers and McCartan played well.
Dissent and violent conduct needs nipping in the bud. We will need another new face in for the next match as we've got 2 suspended.
Lovely to see Clive 2 rows in front of me enjoying being part of the Imps crowd. He was chatting with the supporters around him. Good chap.
Finally it was all smiles at the end when we heard that MK Dons had lost to Bury. However the bunch below us are now closing the gap, so not just MK to be concerned about now.

My take, for what it's worth:
Andrade - has been missing something since the Stevenage game. Previously he would run at pace with the ball, go past players with trickery, etc. he hasn't done that for the last four or five games. I don't know what's missing but something is, whether it's fitness, attitude, aware of a possible move, or what. Anyway, he now gets three games to reflect, etc. Time for DC to do his best psychotherapist role with Bruno and have two or three sessions to get to the bottom of the problem and get his mind back to where it should be, assuming he is staying, which I hope he is.
Frecklington - DC said he hadn't trained all week and it showed as he was clearly lacking match sharpness. I cringed at two or three of the tackles he made prior to the penalty. As for the penalty, not sure if there was contact or not without seeing a replay, but you don't track a player into the box from directly behind, especially that close. He should have tried to get alongside him (inside), but I reckon he wasn't fit enough for that. Shackell was coming over as well so there was some cover (good job otherwise Freck could have seen red as well).
Referee: I think DC summed it up perfectly in his post-match interview. A higher level ref would have managed the game and the players a lot more sensibly and with a lot more control to prevent much of what happened. I have never rated Toner - he is a totally inept ref who cannot control a game at the professinal level and shouldn't be qualified. I said before the game he owed us a performance, and we certainly got one! Can DC put in a request to the EFL that he never ever refs a Lincoln game again? Having said that, he did 'create' one hell of a game and a performance to be proud of from the remaining players.
One side thought about Andrade's sending off - would McCartan have been in the position he was to score that goal if Andrade had still been on the pitch? ?
Also, magnificent support from the travelling Imps again - we needed them and as usual they delivered. ??

As a last little aside before bed....Swindon's ground was a bit of a throwback I thought especially the side we were in which felt like something out of the 1920's. I don't expect too much but the seats were uncomfortable and leg room non-existent and believe me no-one has ever considered my legs being anything other than of the short-arse variety.
And do they need so many roundabouts in a town that size????

Definite red, definite penalty and if Shacks was gibbing off to the ref on a yellow card then he should know better. Not a lot to complain about I’m afraid.

On the plus side, yet another fantastic show of grit, determination and refuse to lose attitude. A team to be proud of.

Since they drew 2-2 at Lincoln almost exactly a year ago (13 Jan 2018), Notts County's record in all competitions is:

P57 W12 D16 L29 F66 A106

In terms of league games, they have taken 47 points from 47 games, and that includes making the play-offs in the middle of the run.

Where has all that money gone?

And as I remember, they were incredibly fortunate to get a point out of that game. There's been many on these lambasting the referee's performance yesterday, but for comfortably the worst officiating I've ever seen, just hark back to 13th Jan 2018. The bloke then was an absolute shocker.

As for County's money, aren't they the very exemplification of football boom and bust? After all the cash they've shelled out in compensation for sacked managers in recent years, I'm surprised they've got anything left at all!

With Campbell's Macclesfield seemingly turning a corner, County are looking like being the Chesterfield of 18-19... i.e. a decent sized FL club sleepwalking their way to relegation.

And as I remember, they were incredibly fortunate to get a point out of that game. There's been many on these lambasting the referee's performance yesterday, but for comfortably the worst officiating I've ever seen, just hark back to 13th Jan 2018. The bloke then was an absolute shocker.

As for County's money, aren't they the very exemplification of football boom and bust? After all the cash they've shelled out in compensation for sacked managers in recent years, I'm surprised they've got anything left at all!

With Campbell's Macclesfield seemingly turning a corner, County are looking like being the Chesterfield of 18-19... i.e. a decent sized FL club sleepwalking their way to relegation.

Are Notts County likely to fall foul of financial fair play rules? I’m not an expert on the matter but I just think they must have spent on transfers/ players wages/ manager payouts/ manager transfer fees (Kewell) they must be toeing the line?

Are Notts County likely to fall foul of financial fair play rules? I’m not an expert on the matter but I just think they must have spent on transfers/ players wages/ manager payouts/ manager transfer fees (Kewell) they must be toeing the line?
Im sure it was the County bloke who said in his local press, he knew they were overspending but the investment would all balance out by 2020 by the club getting promotion...or something along those lines.

Just seen the Sky Sports News report. They said Shackell got a yellow following the penalty award but showed footage of Freck being shown a yellow to accompany it. Probably Sky getting mixed up but seems odd

Just seen the Sky Sports News report. They said Shackell got a yellow following the penalty award but showed footage of Freck being shown a yellow to accompany it. Probably Sky getting mixed up but seems odd
Freck got a yellow for the ‘foul’ for the penalty which is laughable given how soft it was. This idiot believes if he gives a penalty the offender must be cautioned. Shacks was given a yellow after the penalty was scored with everyone setting up for the re-start. Ref walked away, clearly got a message in the ear piece, came back and brandished the red.