Utter Mess? | Vital Football

Utter Mess?

Wurzel

Vital Football Legend
I've been listening to Radio WM over the last few nights and I've heard several fans both from Villa and other clubs state with confidence that Villa is in an utter mess. Now I know things aren't great on the pitch mainly due to the takeover in the summer, and a scatter gun approach by Bruce to new signings, which left the squad lobsided and eventually cost him his job, but an utter mess? No, surely not? We are only a couple of results off the playoffs, and have a very decent Championship squad which should be performing a lot better.

Am I alone in thinking it won't take much to get us travelling in the right direction? To me we were in an utter mess when we got relegated with a sub Championship level squad and Lerner still owning the club. We got to the playoff final last season, have new billionaire owners, and the season is still young enough for us to go up automatically let alone playoffs.

so do you think we are in an utter mess?

A mess yes, but I'm with you not an utter mess - and the mess we are in is still seeing us pull out draws to keep ourselves in the mix, and I don't see that really changing much until January - so we'll still roughly be in the mix if we finish strongly.

I don't see much of a mess, things have been far worse in recent years.

The defence has been left a mess that's for sure, but we'll get by.

We're not far off smooth sailing, the first thing to do is get it right on the pitch, and hopefully the new appointments will get that done.

In football, an utter mess can turn into a bright future within a couple of weeks. And vice versa of course. With a fresh management team and a positive vibe around the place, we have a team capable of getting out this league.

Cant argue about the mess with the club in 15 in the Championship with just 3 wins in 12 games, there's 3 clubs below us with a equals to or better than wins this season. But that stops and stops NOW.

A decent run and you fly up e able because everyone takes points off each other. We just need to get a couple of CB's in and we can go three at the back wingers and a couple of strikers.... Who knows we may even win a games or two.

The keeper and defence is a mess yes. Everything else is taking shape though

Silhill mate, how on earth can you think everything apart from the defence is taking shape?
The management has been put about 75% right, the rest of the coaching staff and the scouting set-up apart.
On the playing side, without a solid defence our midfield have to start from so deep, they need ladders to get upfield.
Our forward/s are so isolated they'd have more people around them if they had chicken pox.
We have goalkeepers who have either lost, or are in the process of losing, all confidence because we only have one centreback whose been losing form as he has to cover two of the other three defenders.
There is no way any but the smallest changes can be put right until January, at the earliest, by then we are likely to be close to double figures behind the top of the table.

No would agree with you wurz not an utter mess a defence that is barely held together when Chester is available the addition of a free agent would ease concern if not solve it. But as I gave Bruce credit when all this was going on we have a strong enough midfield with the addition of McGinn . and the loan signings give us power up front. I think Smith can bring most of it together the defence & keepers will be the problem.

You're not wrong 58. JT needs to unretire and get in there with JC til Jan, and/or sign Collins or Huth.
I think a fair few players had given up on Bruce -'adomah, hogan, Hourihane, Kodija. Hopefully DS will be able to get the best out of them all .

We have problems. That's not the same as being in an utter mess, although there is a bit of a mess as well.

The problems are that we are conceeding too many goals, and our play going forwards is not good enough, even with supposedly good players on the field. A good manager can certainly do something about the latter, and he may be able to do something about the former even though he's short of the right players.

The bit of a mess is that we've accumulated too many players a number of whom don't get picked, and the overlarge squad we have still has gaping holes in it. Yep Steve, this is awful and it's all your fault. Smith may know by January what players he doesn't need and where we need to strengthen.

But the club isn't a mess, the squad has many strengths, and we can hope that under new management we can find a way ahead. The owners are doing the right things. It's just a pity the Bruce was allowed to the length of time he has been.

I'm interested to know what Smith will do about players discarded by Bruce. Hogan did very well for him. I'm also wondering, with an eye to the future, whether he'll be quite as keen to play loanees in place of players we have on the books.

I feel things were worse when we arrived in the championship. Yeah we were a mess after the summer activities and now having new owners and a new manager in Smith. Hopefully he'll sort the defence out maybe huth in and get us a good steady defence. We're only a few points from playoffs and with tammy and Bolasie scoring. The only way surely can be up.
Not to mention jt as no2. Look at how he had the team playing last season.
Does the future finally look bright.

Radio wm is embarrassing, morons from all clubs phone up and spout nonsense. There used to be a time when the idiots were hidden away but now they have a voice and the world is a sadder place. It's only my opinion and worth nothing but I'm sick of hearing stupid people talk. I personally love talking football with diehards from other clubs but we as an area are sadly represented by this joke station.

I think there's a general ignorance about our situation from fans of other teams, which I suppose is to be expected. Several people I work with who support other sides all seem to think we're still owned by the Dr, have no money and are about to go bust. Also plenty of pundits obviously don't have a clue about anything to do about us. One idiot claimed that we don't have the players to play attacking football in the championship!

Your sure right there JW1985! The good and the connection of the www. is amazing. The trouble is it has shown how many stupid people there are in the world, who know nothing about nothing and just want to be heard on radio/t.v or whatever else.

As for people spouting off about clubs they don't support, they should stick to their own club. and talking tosh about them.

The club is not in a mess! It was in the garbage can when Lerner sold, it was back there at the end of the season. Now we are back in transition, under new owners and new management coming in. As others says a few wins will put us right back in the mix