👨🏼‍💼Daniel Levy - Chairman | Page 7 | Vital Football

👨🏼‍💼Daniel Levy - Chairman

Exactly. Almost nothing to do with Levy/the board not being prepared to spend at all.

Well Levy is part of the problem. He wouldn't pay the money for Grealish or Gomes who were Poch's number 1 targets. You have said so numerous times. Neither were out of reach either.

I don't rate either that much but that isn't the point. Levy once again failed to back his manager.

Agreed that Poch has signed some garbage though, Pollo sums that part up perfectly.

Between the pair of them they have failed miserably in the transfer market in recent years. We can't blame just one of them.

Well Levy is part of the problem. He wouldn't pay the money for Grealish or Gomes who were Poch's number 1 targets. You have said so numerous times. Neither were out of reach either.

I don't rate either that much but that isn't the point. Levy once again failed to back his manager.

Agreed that Poch has signed some garbage though, Pollo sums that part up perfectly.

Between the pair of them they have failed miserably in the transfer market in recent years. We can't blame just one of them.

Nope, sorry you've got it wrong RD - Levy WANTED to buy them, Poch and his team felt that represented bad value for money and too high a risk given the demands.

But I fully accept that decisions like that have only been made since Steve was appointed and we cleared out Poch's mate who he brought from Southampton..

Steve has an entirely different view of what is a 'good' gamble and what isn't and if they aren't within the 'good' gamble bracket, from now on, we won't buy - or for as long as Steve lasts.

It's an interesting new dynamic Steve has bought - and hence his and Poch's need to 'school' Levy on when to stick or twist...or even when to chuck your hand in.

Last edited:
I dont expect us to spend like ManC/Pool. We could have achieved so much more with the squad and finances that we have.

This season Poch couldn't identify any targets to improve the squad.
Last season Poch spent 88 million. Besides Sanchez, who was an amazing purchase we spent the money on:
Aurier - We have Trippier & KWP, but the truth is that we don't trust youth, so instead of having another Alexander-Arnold, we're stuck with a basket case who can't defend.
Llorente - No explanation needed.
Gazza - After all the money spent on Lopez, we bought a 3rd senior keeper whilst keeping Vorm.
Foyth - We are not playing our youngsters, so the logical thing is to buy a South American youngster so we can (not) play him.

In 2016/2017 we spent 58 million on Sissoko, Janssen (who is still collecting wages) and GKN.

That's 3 years, 30% (3/10) signing success, 146 million spent on dross, and an overinflated wages sheet which prevents us extending Eriksen and Toby.

Meanwhile Barkley (who was too expensive for us) is showing his class at the Chavs, Robertson is on his way to be the best LB in the league, Madison is scoring and assisting for fun and Shaqiri shows no attitude problems when coming off the bench to make a difference.

There is no way around that, this is on the Manager.
Mate 10/10 so damn acurate. You have nailed it. Just some real bad decisions and they are on the bloke with the 9 million quid contract...

Article in The Times shames Levy for being tight. Ian Graham needed funding for a performance data programme but Levy refused. Graham went to Liverpool and their top signings recently have been acredited in part to Grahams system and subsequent scouting recommendations. We wouldn't have had the money to buy the targets anyway so perhaps Levy didn't see the point in funding Graham.

What day was this article - I subscribe to the Times and can't find it on their site anywhere - which is very odd?!

T
What day was this article - I subscribe to the Times and can't find it on their site anywhere - which is very odd?!
Try looking under thisisfootball.com

Or searching on Google Ian Graham Daniel Levy. This is perfect fodder for you Ex, to either dismiss or delve into it deeper.

Nope, sorry you've got it wrong RD - Levy WANTED to buy them, Poch and his team felt that represented bad value for money and too high a risk given the demands.

But I fully accept that decisions like that have only been made since Steve was appointed and we cleared out Poch's mate who he brought from Southampton..

Steve has an entirely different view of what is a 'good' gamble and what isn't and if they aren't within the 'good' gamble bracket, from now on, we won't buy - or for as long as Steve lasts.

It's an interesting new dynamic Steve has bought - and hence his and Poch's need to 'school' Levy on when to stick or twist...or even when to chuck your hand in.

But would Levy had paid the going rate for Gomes and Grealish? Him wanting them and willing are two different things altogether.

So are you saying Poch has the power for how much we pay on transfer fee's?

I can't buy for one second that is the case. That has never happened at the club under ENIC.

But would Levy had paid the going rate for Gomes and Grealish? Him wanting them and willing are two different things altogether.

I can't buy for one second that is the case. That has never happened at the club under ENIC.
Who decides the going rate? I suspect you mean pay whatever the selling club wants.

You know what I mean. Smart ass.
I'm being serious, who decides the market rate. If one club be it through desperation are willing to pay £60m for a GK does that become the market rate? Is the market rate set by one club? I would have thought market rate is determined by a number of transfers within a set period of time.
Most on here believe Maddison is a better player than Grealish, he went for around £20m. Yet they think Spurs should pay more than that for an inferior player, why? And when the club refuses they are accused of not being willing to pay the market rate, utter bonkers IMO.

You know this; we have a transfer committee - everyone on the committee has to agree to the target, including paying how much for player i.e. if the available budget is 100 mill and you want 4 players, but suddenly two clubs are demanding 50 each, you're available budget is spent and the 'risk/reward' profile has gone off the Richter scale.

An finally, Poch has the last say on ALL targets,.

I have said it at the time when we recruited Poch. This guy is slowly building a cv, (espanol to Saints to spurs). Levy's eyes must have lit up when he got him seeing the way he made a fortune for the Saints' owners. Developing academy players and picking up bargains in the transfer window. Smaller budget, lower expectations, little pressure and high sell-on returns. However, climbing up the ladder I think he is a slow learner and adapts slowly. That too would suit Levy. Poch is risk averse imo. At Saints his most expensive signing was Osvaldo, a failure.

He may have broken our transfer record buying Sanchez, but his general transfer record with us is poor for our needs/status.

Don't get me wrong, he's done wonders for us considering the constraints he's working under. However, we are past the stage of signing players that may/may not come good in 6 to 12 months. Have any of top 6's signings needed that time frame to contribute. So, either Poch is very rigid with his philosophy or is buying square pegs for round holes. For example, it was known that Llorente's prowess is height and headed goals as demonstrated at Swansea. But we don't play route one and we don't have wingers that regularly put decent crosses in. A lumbering, ageing single dimensional player that does not fit 'our way'. Honestly, I'd have persevered with Jannsen. At least he will have deputised Kane for taking penalties!... seriously though, a case of my way or highway with Poch.

In conclusion, the blame lays on both Levy's (negotitating/budget) and Poch's (identification and coaching) doors.

Wow! Poch is such a tactically inept coach and so incredibly slow and stubborn coach you have to wonder what M.U. & R.Madrid see in him, then again what do they know about football.

Wow! Poch is such a tactically inept coach and so incredibly slow and stubborn coach you have to wonder what M.U. & R.Madrid see in him, then again what do they know about football.

Allegedly, but ManU manager list since Fergie left includes Moyes, Van Gaal and now Mourinho. 2 were horrible, the 3rd is just a horrible fit.

I think that Poch will do well in ManU, he is great at building teams, and along with the strong core/funds they have he will win trophies.

All that doesn't negate two obvious things.

One, with what was the best 11 in the PL, he should have won a trophy.
he has a horrible transfer record.

Two, his transfer record over the last 3 seasons is abysmal.

Without getting into his tactical awareness/learning curve, it is obvious to me that he's hit a glass ceiling here, and that his fit with the club is less than optimal.

Mate 10/10 so damn acurate. You have nailed it. Just some real bad decisions and they are on the bloke with the 9 million quid contract...

Squad management and decisions to buy/sell is an integral part of the job, and his mistakes in this front will cost this club dearly.

Come summer, our squad would be in the worst state possible: Llorente & Vorm are out of contract and we dont get a dime to re invest in the squad (at least they're off the books), Dembo out of contract, Toby walks for 25, Verts out of contract (1 year option), Eriksen 1 year remaining, Dier/Rose/Wanyama/Davies will get into their final 2 years, and a whole lot of deadwood on inflated wages that nobody wants.

Shocking.

Squad management and decisions to buy/sell is an integral part of the job, and his mistakes in this front will cost this club dearly.

Come summer, our squad would be in the worst state possible: Llorente & Vorm are out of contract and we dont get a dime to re invest in the squad (at least they're off the books), Dembo out of contract, Toby walks for 25, Verts out of contract (1 year option), Eriksen 1 year remaining, Dier/Rose/Wanyama/Davies will get into their final 2 years, and a whole lot of deadwood on inflated wages that nobody wants.

Shocking.

Can't disagree with any of that. I just hope Spurs go back to buying young and nurturing players. We should probably expect next season to be transitional as Poch builds his second Spurs team.

I think that Poch will do well in ManU, he is great at building teams, and along with the strong core/funds they have he will win trophies.

I can't follow the " he is great at building teams" argument at the 'bigger' clubs. We are supposedly on a 5 year project. Don't think any of the Man U, RM or a.n.other biggie can afford that sort of time scale. That's why I will always question the comments that they will come calling. Poch's cv is nothing to get excited about, regardless of his age - not getting any younger - and imo, he has to add trophies to his cv to become really sought after. At Spurs he is in a 'steady as she goes' mode, not helped by the transfer restrictions. More transfer funds at a bigger club is of little use if he still can't identify players for his project. I also don't think these clubs will allow 6-12 months bedding in periods.

The development of potential players is still going on with Winks, Skipp, Foyth , KWP and so on. But the fact we didn't sign anyone even if to develop let along strengthen our first team is a step backwards not just in PL ready terms. Poch has nothing else extra to work with. Unless of course he feels he has enough with Edwards, Onomah and CCV out on loan etc.
His development of players I feel is one of his strong points so why stunt it by not signing. Even from a sell on point of view like Carrol and Mason.

Allegedly, but ManU manager list since Fergie left includes Moyes, Van Gaal and now Mourinho. 2 were horrible, the 3rd is just a horrible fit.

All that doesn't negate two obvious things.

One, with what was the best 11 in the PL, he should have won a trophy.
he has a horrible transfer record.

Two, his transfer record over the last 3 seasons is abysmal.

Without getting into his tactical awareness/learning curve, it is obvious to me that he's hit a glass ceiling here, and that his fit with the club is less than optimal.
You could be right regarding glass ceiling, but for me it's too early to say. To be fair he's had to deal with a lot of disruptions, for me too many are ready to dismiss the difficulties of playing 15 months away from home and the huge effort in CL and PL last season.
Personally I have programmed my self to be happy with hanging in there this season, clearing the decks in Jan and setting ourselves up for our first full season in new stadium.

Shocking.
I don't think Poch signing has been as bad as some make out, we know because of our financial position our transfer carry a higher risk. Trppier, Toby, Sanchez, Wanjama, Son, Alli and Foyth were good buys. Sissoko has not been abject failure and the Jury is still out on Serge Aurier.
As usual we focus on the ones that have not worked out while ignoring the good ones.

I don't think Poch signing has been as bad as some make out, we know because of our financial position our transfer carry a higher risk. Trppier, Toby, Sanchez, Wanjama, Son, Alli and Foyth were good buys. Sissoko has not been abject failure and the Jury is still out on Serge Aurier.
As usual we focus on the ones that have not worked out while ignoring the good ones.

Can't credit Ali nor Dier to Poch, and Son/Toby/Tripps were brought in 4 years ago.

I stand by my statement - his record over the last 3 years has been criminal.