Aston Villa v Preston North End Tuesday 2nd October , 19.45 K.O. | Page 23 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Preston North End Tuesday 2nd October , 19.45 K.O.

Getting Whelan to take the penalty was piss poor. Other options: Grealish, Hourihane, Bjarnason....so why was it Whelan?

Unfortunately, Hourihane was unavailable to take the penalty. Because he had been replaced by... Glenn Whelan!!

But agree with your point. Grealish (the new Mr Aston Villa, surely?), Bolaise, Bjarnason, McGinn?

What the actual fuck?

God it's so depressing......more angry tonight leaving Villa Park than I have been for a long time. Played well enough for 45 mins, totally in control against a very poor Preston side clearly lacking in confidence....then came the half time team talk......first 7/8 mins of the second half we were second to every ball, hardly got a tackle in, gave the ball away.....and lo and behold Chester gets sent off and the wheels fall off completely. It looked like we had 8 men on the pitch most of the second half! And yet amazingly when we went 2-3 down and had to finally push forward, Preston looked as dire as they were in the first half. Perhaps if we'd shown an ounce of attacking nous when we went down to ten men the game would still have been there for the taking......! And as for the penalty......words fail me. From what I could see, Whelan was adamant he was taking it..grabbed the ball and that was that.Grealish was walking towards the half way line looking completely pissed off just as was about to take it, then collapsed to the floor when he missed. A defensive midfielder, one fucking goal in seven years demanding to take it.....words fail me! There is no going back, it's getting nasty and Bruce needs to be relieved of his duties tomorrow rather than suffering more abuse and then being sacked after Saturday. A thoroughly depressing night for us all.

Jack should have grabbed the ball off him, he's supposed to be the star man on our team - although I'm not convinced he would be a great penalty taker either.

Can Chester get that rescinded?.
Consensus on Sky was that it wasn't sending off .

Talked about this double jeopardy thing which I had forgotten about.
I.e the penalty is the punishment. Chester got the ball but clipped the player while trying to win it.

He's on his arse and he knows it, dreadful manager with an a to z of cliches that would be suited to an interview with Jimmy Hill circa 1975. Just fuck off pal and take your money you twat.

Things have moved on with Bruce. We've wasted 2 years, spent all our parachute monies, set ourselves up for a 12 point deduction, got a glut of wingers, full backs, bad goalkeepers, and no functioning team that can perform for 90 minutes. He is right that things have been close, but we don't even deserve the 15 points we've got. The idea that "at least he stabilised the club" is ridiculous.

Just this.

:clap:

Unbelievable shambles. I said at half time that we should come out and give it the full bollocks for 20 mins and put a piss poor Preston sidde devoid of confidence on the back foot and get the third. So what happened we sat back and started the half like it was a pre season friendly and made Preston look like Barcelona. Absolute disgrace, I don't care about the penalty because Preston would have scored anyway the way the game was going and everything that led up to the penalty was bought on by ourselves. Criminal that was.

The way I saw our pen was that as soon as it was given Whelan had the ball in his hands and no one was going to get it off him but surely in the time taken while Barney was being treated a message should have got out there for someone els to take it.

...It looked like we had 8 men on the pitch most of the second half!

Exactly Langoe.
I only watched from 75 mins and was shocked (don't know why really. Should know better) at how deep we were and how dominant Preston were . Like I said earlier and you have said it was like 11 v 8 . Seriously shouldn't be that one sided against fucking Preston in their state.

Down to Bruce fair and square. Lost it completely lost it.